Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201727 times)

Tabris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #525 on: July 25, 2013, 05:35:37 pm »

Another question. What you guys do for booze production in the beginning? I actually made a fortress that is surviving a little more this time but i can't produce more booze because  i didn't harvest the plumpt helmets yet. Should i use outside crops or something else?

crazyjake56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 25, 2013, 06:40:37 pm »

Do the chairs in the guild hall need to be stone?
edit: sorry, figured it out. It says thrones but it can be either stone or wood. This really is a legit question though, what am i supposed to do with an old chest?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 07:15:58 pm by crazyjake56 »

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: July 26, 2013, 01:08:27 am »

Make an Archeologist's Study and they will open the chest to discover its riches. You need to have the Archeology skill enabled on a dwarf.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: July 26, 2013, 01:09:32 am »

Where are the altered seasonal announcements stored? Search does not seem to be able to find them.

In the .exe file, edited by the Dwarf Fortress Localization Patch.

Mechlin

• Bay Watcher
  • /u/sarasti_
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #529 on: July 26, 2013, 02:39:55 am »

Hm, after genning a new 3d world it turned out that one kobold civ domesticated sluaghs. They have no pet value and cost 1 embark point each (I suppose it's a bug).

So I checked their raws... and the question is: what does [EQUIPS], [BONECARN], and [CAN_LEARN] effectively mean for pets in fortress mode?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #530 on: July 26, 2013, 02:41:15 am »

Why are the gender icons identical even if I use the ASCII setting? I want to embark with one male and many females of various species for breeding bit I have no idea which is which on embark.... Is there any way to tell? Do any of the tilesets distinguish? Is there a way to play masterwork without any tileset?

firons2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 26, 2013, 07:44:52 am »

What features will i lose if i use the standart dwarf fortress world generator instead of the advanced one?

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: July 26, 2013, 09:44:29 am »

Another question. What you guys do for booze production in the beginning? I actually made a fortress that is surviving a little more this time but i can't produce more booze because  i didn't harvest the plumpt helmets yet. Should i use outside crops or something else?
I plant 4 3x3 plots of 3 berries + 1 (rat reed, rope reed, hide) right away in the spring.  2 miners, 1 lumberjack, everyone else start planting right away. I go with each of the different types of berries so that a) once 9 of them are planted I now have an empty bag, and b) diversified booze means happier thoughts for some. Now that you can get intestines for cheap at embark, I'll probably move the rope reed to a summer crop.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Anth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: July 26, 2013, 01:06:01 pm »

Still new to this mod and dwarf fortress but this is the first time ive seen a dwarf with dragonfire. He showed up with a migrant wave and before entering my fort he attacked a wounded sauropod. What is he and what should I do with him? The last fort I had was ruined when a mastiff changed into a red dragon so fire kind of makes me nervous. Also, dont know if it means anything but in his bio it says this.

So it turns out he can change creatures into red dragons for a short time... He also regenerates from damage very fast and he also has the sage curse. I cant find any info about the sage curse, can someone hook me up with a link or enlighten me on this curse?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 08:27:12 pm by Anth »

crazyjake56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: July 26, 2013, 03:32:40 pm »

edit: Solved. I'm a bloody idiot.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 06:36:05 pm by crazyjake56 »

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: July 26, 2013, 08:41:41 pm »

Still new to this mod and dwarf fortress but this is the first time ive seen a dwarf with dragonfire. He showed up with a migrant wave and before entering my fort he attacked a wounded sauropod. What is he and what should I do with him? The last fort I had was ruined when a mastiff changed into a red dragon so fire kind of makes me nervous. Also, dont know if it means anything but in his bio it says this.

(image removed)

So it turns out he can change creatures into red dragons for a short time... He also regenerates from damage very fast and he also has the sage curse. I cant find any info about the sage curse, can someone hook me up with a link or enlighten me on this curse?
Some people quickly make a Shrine of Armok and have the offending dwarf perform the Offer Life / Sacrifice Life reaction. This is probably the preferred method since you will get something out of it.

I just got a plague carrying dwarf in my first wave, along with a were-something (thank you Armoks Ward for not letting me find out what he may have been). Since I was in the processes of making my lava pit, I warrened him into the interior and proceeded to open my floodgate. Quick puff of smoke later, no more plague.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 26, 2013, 09:08:47 pm »

Also, dont know if it means anything but in his bio it says this.

That shows up on any creature that was born before the world started. It shows up about 100% of the time on 50-year gens.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: July 26, 2013, 10:00:18 pm »

Also, dont know if it means anything but in his bio it says this.

That shows up on any creature that was born before the world started. It shows up about 100% of the time on 50-year gens.

Are you sure of that Putnam? From my experience that person is a (spoilers in the spoiler tag)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 26, 2013, 10:12:48 pm »

Eighty-three is definitely not that old. I'm very sure of what I'm saying. There's no reason that person would be that at all. "Has the appearance of" is part of the "first of his kind" thing.

Anth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: July 27, 2013, 12:42:51 am »

http://imgur.com/rCfvUrH
http://imgur.com/03hVca3
http://imgur.com/37g9Hma
http://imgur.com/fme0TnJ

I saved my game right before he arrives in the migrant wave. He usually runs into my fort and uses dragonfire on the first person/creature that looks at him and sometimes he'll kill himself doing it. I also watched him run up to my fire turret and turn it into a red dragon for about 10 seconds and then change back. Ive never seen the sage curse before, anyone had a dwarf like this running around spitting dragonfire all over the place?
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 165