Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201871 times)

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #435 on: July 04, 2013, 07:20:48 am »

OK, your saying it already knows what stats to use from the skill itself. OK, so there is no way to rename the roles on the roles tab? For instance I cannot change "tanner" to "diplomat"? And how can I get new roles to show up, such as rifledwarf? Or is that blowgunner... hmmm might be, I'll work on this some and see if I can get them all setup.

Edit: Some of them seem to be odd, like archeology uses alchemy instead of archeology. And a few have no role weights, like wax/poison worker, does that mean their attributes have no affect? Doesn't seem like that should be the case.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 07:37:25 am by silentdeth »
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 04, 2013, 10:01:47 am »

Fiddle with it, I only just set them this morning after reading Brilland's post so I don't really know.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #437 on: July 04, 2013, 08:14:45 pm »

If someone could tell me the solution to the therapist roles, then I will simply add this to the download. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 04, 2013, 09:28:44 pm »

I've mostl just used custom roles for my military - since I was going to danger-room train them, I set it to ignore their skills and take into account only their maximum attributes (not current attributes - that's global setting, rather than a per-role setting), with some allowances for personality and preferences.  I also used roles a bit for selecting dwarves for specific guilds, by creating a role that combined all the roles in that guild.

As for determining what affects what - for skills that are still pretty much unchanged from vanilla, "copy from" one of the existing roles and see what it populates the new role with.  For skills that have been modded significantly (i.e. praying), you pretty much just have to decide fro yourself what's relevant.  If you intend to mostly just pray for booze and food, you could maybe match the "brewer" role, but with the "Priest/Shaman" skill instead of the "Brewer" skill.  If you want to focus on sacrificing for armor or crafts, base it on the armorsmith or metalcrafter profiles, etc.  You can also look at more than one basic role, and devise your own role that takes parts from both (look at the wiki to determine which attribute does what).
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 05, 2013, 05:00:23 am »

Why would the role change depending on what you were praying for? I mean yeah, the dwarf would be happy if they had a preference towards whatever they received, but that would be kinda minor.

On a different note. What is the range on the Warlock rot spell? My Marksdwarves are feeling the pain after taking some pop shots from fortifications 1 lvl up, but I'm unsure as to whether I should go up another level, or create a better moat gap between the wall and where the enemy might stand.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 05, 2013, 03:50:52 pm »

Why would the role change depending on what you were praying for? I mean yeah, the dwarf would be happy if they had a preference towards whatever they received, but that would be kinda minor.

Well, that's all preferences do, and preferences are taken into account by the default roles.  Also, certain attributes (creativity in particular) only matter when the thing you're making has a quality modifier.  None of the free prayers can give items with quality modifiers, but some of the sacrifices can.  Whether you care about creativity would thus depend on whether you intend to perform those sacrifices.  There's also strength, which is useful for all dwarves, but is more useful for dwarves that will be carrying heavy objects... such as stone pots.  That means it will matter somewhat more for dwarves praying for booze than for dwarves praying for, say, food.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 07, 2013, 05:30:38 am »

Think I may have been afflicted with a case of the stupids, in that case feel free to tell me exactly how idiotic I am to have missed it *chuckle*

I had a cyclops turn up, after it died I can't seem to get the slaughterhouse to butcher it even after dumping the corpse next to the workshop. I made some barrels in case that was it but it's still red, is there a step I missed somewhere? Or perhaps because not having a military yet it was killed by traps?
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Von Krieger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 07, 2013, 07:05:06 am »

...well that was weird.

I think I just had a forgotten beast swim up through the magma sea, tear through a magma forge, and then procede to murder several dwarves.

That's not the baffling part.

The baffling part is that I was altered to the creature's presence via a "Urist McDwarf has been transformed into a giant rat!" window message.

Shortly followed by Urist changing back into a dwarf, announced by a similar window.

Two of my military died fighting the beastie. Pretty normal.

Theeeeen they came back, announced with a "Living Proof of Miracles" announcement window.

I've been futzing around with the new workshop types, so I might have managed to do something that might trigger that.

Or they might be vampires of some sort, as they both now look two hundred and something years old. Elapsed time since year zero is around 100ish years at this point.

Before rat transformations and resurrecting people, I was trying to find out which exactly of my dwarves is responsible for sucking two dwarves (thus far) dry.

With one hundred and ten or so dwarves, I'm not quite sure how to go about quickly locating the fiend.

Ok, while I was typing this I've had a third dwarven resurrection.

So in short:
Dwarf turned into a giant rat and back, what the heck?
Dwarves coming back to life, what the heck?
Vampire on the loose, least time consuming way to identify?

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 07, 2013, 10:39:32 am »

Two of my military died fighting the beastie. Pretty normal.

Theeeeen they came back, announced with a "Living Proof of Miracles" announcement window.

Apparently you have a Lifemancer.  You can make a dwarf into a Lifemancer at the Fountain of Youth, and IIRC, there's a small chance of them showing up as migrants.  They're pretty easy to identify, since they tend to spam the combat reports with healing spells.

Thom293

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 07, 2013, 02:39:43 pm »

First, thanks for the great mod.

I've some questions.  Some might be vanilla issues, but most are mod related I think.  Basically, I'd like to keep it relatively close to vanilla, if possible, with FPS improvements and item consolidation benefits (single leather, meat, etc).  I've read the manual, and what I could of the wiki (which I admit I'm having trouble navigating), but these remain open questions for me.

1.  Is there any way to turn off the new weapons?  Armor?  Or some of them?  I'd like to keep to vanilla weapons.
2.  Is there a way to turn off the new ores/trees/roots? Or would this destroy the simplified mining feature?   I'd like to keep to vanilla materials, if possible.
3.  I'm assuming clothing is simplified too?  No low boot or high boot, just boot?  No socks, mittens, caps, etc? I'm missing a number of those, but it might be just the regional clothing preference thing.    And what function does crown serve?  A better helm?  Or just cosmetic?  The manual has some clothing as 'underlayer' and some a 'soft' clothing.  I'm assuming those padded items can all be worn beneath armor?

Also - this might be a vanilla question, but perhaps someone know:  I'm having trouble with ponds - How do I get dwarves to fill them?  Do I designate the top layer of pond, or all z layers?  Also, is it possible to to fill with magma?  I just don't have any interest in building 30+z level pump stack.

Thanks in advance!

Vabalokis

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McKneeGrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 08, 2013, 06:46:10 am »

How to treat rotten flesh and unconsciousness ?

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 08, 2013, 08:53:19 am »

Thats not really mdf related.

Surgery.
You can't, it just indicates being knocked out or laying in bed.

Vabalokis

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McKneeGrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 08, 2013, 09:38:22 am »

sorry if its not mdf related. i started playing df only month ago and only played vanilla for 30 minutes and then i discovered mdf and never came back , so i dont even know whats vanilla and whats mdf

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 08, 2013, 03:26:51 pm »

As you cannot make furniture directly from cut crystal glass(go figure), you need pearlash.
Now, where the heck is the reaction to make it? The two obvious answers being either ashery or chemist proved wrong. Manual doesnt even mention it. Making potash is still there.
I did some digging through the raws and except finding quite a mess with leftovers, only found that the chemist should indeed have a reaction "refine pearlash". Needless to say, its not there. Job manager only notes that "make pearlash" is a valid reaction. Somewhere.

A hand would be appreciated.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 08, 2013, 03:27:59 pm »

sorry if its not mdf related. i started playing df only month ago and only played vanilla for 30 minutes and then i discovered mdf and never came back , so i dont even know whats vanilla and whats mdf

Yeah, don't do that. Sorry, but... no, that's not right. They're very different.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 165