Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201842 times)

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #420 on: July 02, 2013, 09:00:39 am »

Yep, with the siege plugin (default hotkey alt-a {quickfort must be disabled}) you can specify the catapult to shoot cages, and specify it to take from a specific stockpile. Additionally you can set a target area, so they actually hit something. I broke my first orc siege by slinging a few warlocks, tortured beings, and witches at them. The orcs were all ranged so they killed the 'locks pretty fast, however one witch landed right next to their leader and cast that nasty decay spell and the rest of the orcs said, "Screw you guys, I'm going home."
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 02, 2013, 11:04:26 am »

Yes, probably, on walls? They're creatures.
Just pasture them onto of the pillars using a rectratable bridge, and voila.
Probably have to make some space betwen them, I believe that the dust knocks them around.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 11:05:59 am by Z1000000m »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 02, 2013, 01:38:44 pm »

But if a catapult can toss a cage that breaks open on impact, a syndrome-producing mine would effectively be a ballistic, AoE biological WMD.
Does the cage inhabitants survive this without hurt? Then quantum cage war (insert animal of choice here), or cats, and launch it into the middle of the army. Would be rather amusing.

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 02, 2013, 05:21:59 pm »

The occupants of the cage are unharmed by their journey. Customs inspections at arrival withstanding.

Scipaeus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 02, 2013, 09:53:40 pm »

I just trained one of my soldiers in Military Garrison to become a wrestler. After he finished his training, he stopped moving; he is in the citizen list when I press "u", but his activity is "tame" as if he was an animal. Dwarf Therapist doesn't recognize him as a dwarf and I can pasture him like I can pasture other animals. I am pretty sure that's not supposed to happen, what's wrong?

edit: Nevermind, they stay that way for a week and then become the class. Just confused me for a bit! :D

On a similiar note though, none of my immigrants nor starting dwarves seem to be in any caste, military or a guild. Is that standard?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 10:06:10 pm by Scipaeus »

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 02, 2013, 10:51:51 pm »

Just bad luck, although, they are pretty rare.

On another note:  Has anyone noticed that the number of embark points seems to have a random element to them.  My world gen is set to 1274, yet sometimes I'll get up to 500 points more.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 12:17:06 am by Billy Jack »
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 03, 2013, 04:47:42 pm »

Question about plagues. Is there a way to cure the original carrier, or do I need to prepare slab? Somehow someone got infected in my fort during a siege, possibly from the weak warpstone I was digging through, and basically everyone got hit within a minute. Thankfully it passed without doing much more than painting my hospital a little red, but now I'm trying to figure out who is still infected to isolate them. So I was just wondering.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 03, 2013, 06:33:24 pm »

Actually, about the plagues, I remember there were some midl ones causing dizziness or something alike?
I have 2 migrants that are stuck forever in a dizzy state and noone is getting infected.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 03, 2013, 10:47:57 pm »

Question about plagues. Is there a way to cure the original carrier, or do I need to prepare slab? Somehow someone got infected in my fort during a siege, possibly from the weak warpstone I was digging through, and basically everyone got hit within a minute. Thankfully it passed without doing much more than painting my hospital a little red, but now I'm trying to figure out who is still infected to isolate them. So I was just wondering.

Ward of Armok should be able to cure them.

Weak warpstone is completely unrelated to plagues.  Its effects just hit any nearby dwarves, and don't spread from there.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #429 on: July 03, 2013, 11:22:01 pm »

ward does do anything to them, but you can just let them join a guild, it transforms them into a new creayure without the plague interaction.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 04, 2013, 12:32:44 am »

Alright then, now I just have to figure out who still has it.

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 04, 2013, 04:07:57 am »

Is there a way to configure dwarf therapist so that it know what traits to use for the new roles. Right now they are blank and I don't know which dwarf it best suited to jobs like praying or writing.

Edit: or which stats and preferences, and their weight? I think I see where to add them in dwarf therapist's config file. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 04:12:43 am by silentdeth »

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 04, 2013, 04:15:22 am »

Is there a way to configure dwarf therapist so that it know what traits to use for the new roles. Right now they are blank and I don't know which dwarf it best suited to jobs like praying or writing.

Edit: or which stats and preferences, and their weight? I think I see where to add them in dwarf therapist's config file.

There's a "custom roles" feature somewhere in the menus.  If you give a custom role the same name as a regular role, it'll override it.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 04, 2013, 05:47:17 am »

There's a "custom roles" feature somewhere in the menus.  If you give a custom role the same name as a regular role, it'll override it.

That's useful, but how do I determine which attributes and preferences effect a given role? Like for praying...I don't think there is a "likes spending all day on his/her knees begging for handouts"

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 04, 2013, 06:36:21 am »

When you open up the custom role window, you can use the drag down list under where you would name the role to select the job you want, then hit copy to take those traits/prefs/etc. After that, name it the same as whichever vanilla job column you want it to use and save it. On the next read it should update and start tracking.

So for Praying you would drag down to Priest/Shaman, hit copy, name it Strand Extractor (I believe that is the skill it uses), and hit save. If you then hit a new read it should update and show the proper tracking of who would be decent at it. You will just have to remember that Strand Extractor on the Roles tab is actually for Praying.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 165