Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201738 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #330 on: June 24, 2013, 01:13:38 pm »

I think that jimboo, you were looking at Max_Edge while Vcordie was looking at Shear_Yield.  I'm sure Edge comes into play somehow too, but Shear_Yield seems to be the primary stat that determines whether a blade made of material A will penetrate an armor of material B.

vcordie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 24, 2013, 01:19:14 pm »

V, you're looking at the wrong table of metals.  Smake detailed them all (mostly) in the Wiki Masterwork:Metals page.  Volcanic has twice the edge, deep bronze 40% more.  It's obviously a superb material, but Volcanic is a lot easier to come by and especially so in quantity.
Volcanic requires a. You already to have iron on hand. B. Magma on hand, which means magmasafe materials. C. Steel production, which means flux stone and coke. D. Mithril, so either be lucky in veins, raid the elves, or do a lot of transmutation. E. and this is the big one: The flippin blueprint for the great magma forge.
Can deep bronze even be made by dwarves? I thought it was a orc only deal.
Meanwhile, to outfit a single squad with bloody armok axes and assorted armor, you need: 2 totems(to make a shrine), which means 2 totemable body parts (which are what again? only skulls? skulls and bones? or will any remains do), any stone (to make statues), and then a priest (to turn the statues into cermonial statues and build the shrine and altar). You only need the second tier of religious dudes to sacrifice dwarves for bloody armok stuff, iirc.

praying for soft and hard metals...is that even useful? Why would anyone use that. Just...dig. >_>

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 24, 2013, 01:27:12 pm »

I say if something is going to cost dwarven lives and still be no-quality (unless every sacrificial dwarf is trained up first), it had better be good in other respects.

Though... I wonder if a Lifemancer can raise a dwarf who's been sacrificed to Armok...  :o
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

vcordie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 24, 2013, 01:32:29 pm »

Good question. Time for !!SCIENCE!!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 24, 2013, 01:43:52 pm »

>> Can deep bronze even be made by dwarves? I thought it was a orc only deal.

I think Dwarves can expedition for it.

>> praying for soft and hard metals...is that even useful? Why would anyone use that.

Aquifer!  or, if you happen to mod iron ores back to their vanilla environments, in which case they're not found in igneous intrusive, and are so rarer / not found at every embark.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 01:51:05 pm by smakemupagus »

vcordie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 24, 2013, 01:52:42 pm »

Good point. I'm attempting using priests instead of farmers now, but I've ran into a bit of a snag: What is the praying labor called? I can't find the skill to increase on embark ANYWHERE.

Edit: whats the benefit to increasing the scribe skill other then faster book binding? Does it increase the chance of masterworks? or is that a set chance.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 01:56:11 pm by vcordie »

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 24, 2013, 02:09:41 pm »

Good point. I'm attempting using priests instead of farmers now, but I've ran into a bit of a snag: What is the praying labor called? I can't find the skill to increase on embark ANYWHERE.

Edit: whats the benefit to increasing the scribe skill other then faster book binding? Does it increase the chance of masterworks? or is that a set chance.

If there is a specified % to get something in a reaction, it will always be just that. Skill modifies time and quality (if product ahs any), but does nothing to raise chances of getting items.

15+ furnace operator will still get orihalcum 1% of the time.

vcordie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 24, 2013, 02:11:10 pm »

So I shouldn't bother pumping points into scribe on embark if I'm going for a prayer/library fortress, alright.

Blackdot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 24, 2013, 02:24:06 pm »

Can somebody tell me what use is iron clading horses? I was thinking that i can use in combat that way, but horses are too scared to battle

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 24, 2013, 02:33:26 pm »

vcordie

Depends really, if you are going to dump much power into the training, then sure. If you want to treat it as a side thing, then with unskilled dudes you might find it somewhat slow. You can always get a platinum boost for one of the dudes though.

Blackdor

Can't you war train them though? If so, just assign them to the military and there you go.

As a side note, lammellar cloaks are vicious. They are like a force field. Get all your important dwarves one and enjoy them not dying to anything bar diseases.

Also, do warlocks have dragonfire/equivalent? No really, I was not expecting them melt my drawbridge, when it was being closed, and incinerate the depot along with every single non iron item in it. I sure am glad I plan with redundancy in mind >.> .
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 02:38:12 pm by Z1000000m »

Blackdot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 24, 2013, 02:41:11 pm »

They can't be war trained, I've tried pasturing them in front of my entrance, but they don't fight. Maybe ironclading horses is only for defence.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 24, 2013, 02:46:38 pm »

They can't be war trained, I've tried pasturing them in front of my entrance, but they don't fight. Maybe ironclading horses is only for defence.

Not sure if it will work, but try sticking a tag that lets you train them in the local raws.

vcordie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 24, 2013, 02:52:51 pm »

Only kind a masterwork question: I googled what these raws things are so I'm taking a gander through thep et raws to figure out what are the best pets to take on embark. Which section determines how many babies a non egg laying pet has and how quickly they'll grow up? I'm looking for the ideal animal to butcher. Iirc vanilla behavior is that for egg laying animals you can only fertilize one egg per female at a time, meaning egg layers take a while to reproduce (also, beared kavernkeets are really good pets, they give both wool once per year and a mildly decent clutch size. Frill lizards are next, giving a very consistant clutch size of exactly 2 every time, and also hunt vermin. take these instead of cats. Horned caveturtles give the largest clutchs, ranging from 1 to 5 eggs. I tend to take along a male of every egg laying species, 5 female horned cave turtles, 3 female beared kavernkeets, and 4 female frill lizards, locking one female each in a room with a nest box to and forbidding the door to prevent my dwarves from getting their eggs, so that they hatch. Frill lizards and cave turtles take longer then bearded kavernkeets to grow, which is why I take fewer. Also, the wool isn't that important. Also of note is the dew beetles. The females lay a small clutch, the males have a honey extract that can be brewed into honeydew and they also reproduce quickly meaning they can help with alcohol supply quite easily if you bring a couple of em. Basically it comes down to a choice of more food or more booze, that is, kavernkeets(since you wont be slaughtering em for extract like you will be for stag beetles) wool +additional eggs or mead. Either are valid choices. The reason I know how long the egg layers will take to grow up is that I have personal experience with em. Frill lizards and cave turtles take 2-3 years, and kavernkeets and dew beetles only a year, year and a half max. So yeah, what tag controls litter size and speed of growth, that is, how can I determine from looking at the raws what pet is the fastest growth for slaughter.another important question is How can I determine how much meat it gives on slaughter, so that I can determine the pet that will give the best results(Obviously it's just the pet with the highest ratio of growth time to meat given.)
Tl;dr: See bolded parts of text. Take a few bearded kavernkeets or dew beetles on embark instead of chickens/turkeys/whatever. Horned Caveturtles are the best for an egg based economy, and frill lizards are a great replacement for cats, due to no risk of catsplosion and they also lay eggs.
Also repeating this question again: What's the prayer labor called. I can't find it in the skills to pump up on the embark screen. I know its just renamed strand extraction but I can't find that either.

Edit: I also found out from looking at the raws that sacrificing dwarves on the second tier will only give you a steel hammer. Sacrificing on the third tier gives you blood_metal hammer, which is really meh. Sacrificing blood on the second tier will give you a chance for a blood-metal hammer, and also a bunch of blood metal crafts which are worth something. Third tier sacrificing will give you a battle axe though, which is nice. You can also turn bones and totems into drinks at the second altar, and oddly enough ash into hellwood. Will have to look at the raw for hellwood to figure out what it's good for. Third tier, sacrificing weapons just turns it into another weapon of the same material. armor turns it into a different type of armor of the same material. The weapons is kinda worthless but the armor is actually decent, as you could easily get something that protects better. Actually, the weapon sacrifice could be used to turn the shitty hammer from sacrificing blood into some sort of slashing weapon. Even if its foreign, it would still be a big step up from the hammer.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 03:06:13 pm by vcordie »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 24, 2013, 03:00:46 pm »

>>  Iirc vanilla behavior is that for egg laying animals you can only fertilize one egg per female at a time, meaning egg layers take a while to reproduce

In vanilla you get huge clutches from eggs and they reproduce like mad.
This is from MDF turkey

[CASTE:FEMALE]
      [CASTE_NAME:turkey hen:turkey hens:turkey hen]
      [FEMALE][SELECT_TISSUE:BONE][HEALING_RATE:10][SELECT_TISSUE:FAT][HEALING_RATE:10][SELECT_TISSUE:MUSCLE][HEALING_RATE:10]
      [LAYS_EGGS]
         [EGG_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGGSHELL:SOLID]
         [EGG_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_WHITE:LIQUID]
         [EGG_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
         [EGG_SIZE:87]
         [CLUTCH_SIZE:2:3]

It'll lay between 2 and 3 eggs.
For comparison vanilla is [CLUTCH_SIZE:10:14]

Growth (time and size) is determined by BODY_SIZE.

So turkeys are BODY_SIZE:2:0:5000 -- they take 2 yrs and 0 days to grow to size 5000

Goose are [BODY_SIZE:1:0:4500] -- a little smaller, but only 1 yr to mature.  And [CLUTCH_SIZE:1:3].
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 03:06:58 pm by smakemupagus »

vcordie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 24, 2013, 03:09:57 pm »

*snip*

Growth (time and size) is determined by BODY_SIZE.

So turkeys are BODY_SIZE:2:0:5000 -- they take 2 yrs and 0 days to grow to size 5000

Goose are [BODY_SIZE:1:0:4500] -- a little smaller, but only 1 yr to mature.  And [CLUTCH_SIZE:1:3].
What does it mean if an animal has more then one body size. They grow like dragons?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 165