Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201732 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #315 on: June 24, 2013, 02:36:40 am »

From the manual:

Harder Mining will add coal dust that can cause lungs to rot when mining lignite or bituminous coal, as well as warpstone. Warpstone can make miners sleepy/dizzy, and in very rare cases, kill. You also need to mine warpstone for special weapons build with it. It will also add 3 spawnable creatures into the rock. Wraiths, Soggoths and Balrogs. Your miner might uncover them while digging and be attacked. You will get a notification, the game will pause and you have a few seconds before the creature actually spawns.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 24, 2013, 02:43:12 am »

Code: [Select]
YESVAPORSTONE[INORGANIC:BAUXITE]
why

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #317 on: June 24, 2013, 03:14:59 am »

That question is a hard one. ^^

1,5 years ago I was trying to get inorganics down a bit, less types, less colors... bauxite and microcline were obvious choices, so I kicked them out, replaced them with things I used for "stone-less" stone. It was cave fungus and living stone, both leaving no solid products at that time.

Its horribly convoluted if you look at it now. I think if you really look at the raws, you can find many of these left-overs.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Blackdot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 24, 2013, 03:37:47 am »

In one of my fortresses one vain living stone, half of it drop boulders, but second vain didnt drop anything except blood

vcordie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 24, 2013, 11:18:04 am »

Few random questions (most important first):
How often will praying at the shrine of armok actually give you food/drink?
What does increasing the praying skill actually do? Will increasing the prayer skill increase the chance of getting food/drink and make it take less time?
This question is directed at Meph: You say that it's possible to have a prayer based society. Is it actually feasible though? Have you tried it yourself, Meph? I wish to try doing such a thing as a community game and was wondering if you had any idea of the ratio of shrines->dwarves in order to fulfil food/drink demands.
Bloody armor/weapons of armok: What are their actual stats, material wise. It's not listed in the metals table. Are they as good as/better then steel? What is their equivalncy. Can they be improved at the weaponry/armory. Poisoned? Enscribed with runes?
Wolfram: Melting point seems just a tad too low for the metal with the highest melting point of all metals. Iridium weighs far, far, FAR too little, its the heaviest element their is (next to osmium, iirc).

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 24, 2013, 11:24:19 am »

I don't know about long term survival, but 8 shrines is about right if playing Harder Farming and that first big migration wave comes and there's no food and drink in the fort.  I think that the praying goes much faster once the acolytes level up a few times.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 24, 2013, 12:38:19 pm »

Bloody armor/weapons of armok: What are their actual stats, material wise. It's not listed in the metals table. Are they as good as/better then steel? What is their equivalency? Can they be improved at the weaponry/armory. Poisoned? Enscribed with runes?

Stats are in the raws (object/item/shield~armor,) mostly different in coverage, block chance and UBSTEP. 
Yes, yes and yes.
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

vcordie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 24, 2013, 12:40:02 pm »

snip
Stats are in the raws (object/item/shield~armor,) mostly different in coverage, block chance and UBSTEP. 
I erm, don't know how to interpret, open, read, or even know what the hell the raws even are.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 24, 2013, 12:42:44 pm »

Um, ... ok, if it has a fancy name, it's likely better.  Use it.
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 24, 2013, 12:43:05 pm »

Bloody armor/weapons of armok: What are their actual stats, material wise. It's not listed in the metals table.

Much better than I was expecting, actually.  Unless I'm missing something it's better than deep bronze or volcanic, except for as a blunt weapon (although it's fine for that too).  Easily worth the sacrifice of 10 peasants/wounded/warlock-spies to get 10 axes.

[INORGANIC:BLOOD_METAL]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:METAL_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:bloody][DISPLAY_COLOR:0:0:1][TILE:176]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
   [MATERIAL_VALUE:55]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:0:0:1]
[SOLID_DENSITY:8000]
[IMPACT_YIELD:2000000]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:2500000]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:2000000]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:2500000]
[COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[TENSILE_YIELD:2000000]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:2500000]
[TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[TORSION_YIELD:2000000]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:2500000]
[TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[SHEAR_YIELD:2000000]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:2500000]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[BENDING_YIELD:2000000]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:2500000]
[BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[MAX_EDGE:10000]
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 12:48:39 pm by smakemupagus »

LordNippes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 24, 2013, 12:50:07 pm »

Thanks for all help till now but here i have another one...
How can i get rid of the carp-cult in this version without a caravan? I have a temple but where can i get a changeling or a sprite for a ward. Are these pets?

vcordie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 24, 2013, 12:51:48 pm »

I don't know about long term survival, but 8 shrines is about right if playing Harder Farming and that first big migration wave comes and there's no food and drink in the fort.  I think that the praying goes much faster once the acolytes level up a few times.
Hmm. Can you bring totems with you on embark? Instead of a farmer, bring a scribe/priest, spend the points you would have spent on seeds on totems(or failing that, animals that give totemable remains. What exactly are totemable remains, by the way), set up a shrine as soon as possible and just go to town with free food/drink and then just print books out your wazoo to train combat stats. Sacrifice a dwarf or too (perferably someone who has a mood item you can't fulfill. Wait, can you sacrifice people in moods? or warlock spies/cult members/hidden necromancers/werewolves) to arm your early militia. I think it could really be done. Effectively too. You'd save a bunch of points you could use to put into something else, like ore.
Bloody armor/weapons of armok: What are their actual stats, material wise. It's not listed in the metals table.

Much better than I was expecting, actually.  Unless I'm missing something it's better than deep bronze or volcanic, except for as a blunt weapon (although it's fine for that too)

That sharpness is ridicolous. The metal table doesn't show volcanc (but it does show deep bronze) so its probably outdated a bit, but...jesus, the only weapons grade material that beats it in sharpness is adamatine (unless you can make slade/iridium weapons). It beats pattern-welded mithril by a huge huge margin. As for blunt weapons it falls somewhat shorter, but still rather good. Can you get bloody hammers or from sacrificing dwarves or only axes/swords? Hell, what's the full list of stuff you can get from sacrificing dwarves in that regard. Lets find out how OP the religion system is!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 24, 2013, 01:01:44 pm »

Bifrost is better, too, but yeah.  I don't think iridium exists anymore.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/Masterwork:Metal
Sure, you can bring totems on embark in form of poultry, or cats.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 24, 2013, 01:06:05 pm »

V, you're looking at the wrong table of metals.  Smake detailed them all (mostly) in the Wiki Masterwork:Metals page.  Volcanic has twice the edge, deep bronze 40% more.  It's obviously a superb material, but Volcanic is a lot easier to come by and especially so in quantity.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 24, 2013, 01:07:49 pm »

How often will praying at the shrine of armok actually give you food/drink?
What does increasing the praying skill actually do? Will increasing the prayer skill increase the chance of getting food/drink and make it take less time?

Praying at the shrine has a small chance of giving you what you're praying for.  I don't have the raws on hand, but IIRC the chances vary between 1% and 10%.  Food and drink are near the upper end of that scale.

Increasing the praying skill makes praying take less time, and improves the quality of items you get (when you sacrifice something to get an item with quality levels - none of the free praying reactions can give items with quality).  I'm saving up my witch fetishes and such until I have a skilled priest, so that the crafts are more valuable.  :P

Much better than I was expecting, actually.  Unless I'm missing something it's better than deep bronze or volcanic, except for as a blunt weapon (although it's fine for that too).  Easily worth the sacrifice of 10 peasants/wounded/warlock-spies to get 10 axes.

For the benefit of those who can't read raws:

MetalDensityMelt PointValueI yieldI fractI elastS yieldS fractS elastMax Edge
Bloody8.00Unmeltable?55200025001002000250010010000

Notes:
  • Average density
  • Impact qualities slightly superior to steel
  • Amazing shear qualities, better than wolfram but worse than bifrost
  • Max edge equal with steel (not sure how this compares with shear in importance)

That sharpness is ridicolous. The metal table doesn't show volcanc (but it does show deep bronze) so its probably outdated a bit, but...jesus, the only weapons grade material that beats it in sharpness is adamatine (unless you can make slade/iridium weapons). It beats pattern-welded mithril by a huge huge margin. As for blunt weapons it falls somewhat shorter, but still rather good. Can you get bloody hammers or from sacrificing dwarves or only axes/swords? Hell, what's the full list of stuff you can get from sacrificing dwarves in that regard. Lets find out how OP the religion system is!

Welded mithril is beat out by volcanic, wolfram/welded wolfram, bloody, bifrost and adamantine, in that order.  However, it has a higher max edge than wolfram/welded wolfram or bloody.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 165