Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201652 times)

Vodos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #255 on: June 17, 2013, 04:30:08 am »

I've tried to get my best trained axe dwarf to dual-wield since I saw him throw punches in-between axe swings, but weird stuff is happening. He started out with a battle axe in his left hand and a tower shield in his right (a leftie?). I added a second battle axe to his uniform, he put it in his right hand. So far so good. Because I read that they can use two shields too, I added another tower shield. Now he has 2 shields and an axe in his right hand! Does that do anything?
I put him in a naked uniform, waited until all his gear was dropped and put the dual-wield uniform back on. Now he has a shield in each hand but 2 battle axes in his right hand?!? Any tips on how to get this right?

I also have a question about the armor runes, I put a mithril rune (never be exerted) on his breastplate , but he fell unconscious after killing a few wolves from being tired (he didn't sleep though, he got back up relatively fast). Would a chrome rune (stay awake) fix that? Does that rune remove their need to sleep and will not sleeping lead to health issues?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 17, 2013, 06:06:25 am »

Ok, quick question...how do I use DFhack in masterwork?

by which I mean what keys activate the console?

I thought I found it with Ctrl+D but the embark command didn't work in it....am I just doing this completely wrong?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Vodos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 17, 2013, 06:28:41 am »

I thought I found it with Ctrl+D but the embark command didn't work in it....am I just doing this completely wrong?
You need to launch the game through the Masterwork launcher (settings.exe), that should open a dfhack command prompt alongside the main DF window.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 17, 2013, 06:31:22 am »

Anyone know why my Pekyt's all seem to love beating each other to death? It isn't all of them per-say, but at any one time there are at least two beating the shit out of each other, and I regularly discover dead Pekyt in my grazing area. I have a significant number of them, but not enough that they should be over crowded.

It hasn't really caused any problems, just kinda weird. Especially since five have been given names at this point. Kinda makes me wish I could train and armor them as war animals...

FengYun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 17, 2013, 09:21:57 am »

Repseki, I didn't notice pekyt being anything special. Probably it was that the grazing area was too small for them. And you can always make small grazing areas and put one into each, thus preventing them from fighting.

Vodos, dwarves have always been left-handed. I have no idea how to make it correct, but looks like it corresponds with the dual-wield bug that Toady thought was resolved. So probably, it is a vanilla DF issue, not connected with Masterwork. And what's wrong with a shield in one hand and a shield and two axes in another hand combination? Should be quite passable.

As for the sleep deprivation using a rune, it will most likely not lead to any health issues. I am not sure of bad thoughts because of the lack of sleep though. But even if they happen, it's not a big deal: you can keep a dwarf happy with many other things like dining room with chairs and tables or a personal sleeping room.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 17, 2013, 12:10:54 pm »

I've tried to get my best trained axe dwarf to dual-wield since I saw him throw punches in-between axe swings, but weird stuff is happening. He started out with a battle axe in his left hand and a tower shield in his right (a leftie?). I added a second battle axe to his uniform, he put it in his right hand. So far so good. Because I read that they can use two shields too, I added another tower shield. Now he has 2 shields and an axe in his right hand! Does that do anything?
I put him in a naked uniform, waited until all his gear was dropped and put the dual-wield uniform back on. Now he has a shield in each hand but 2 battle axes in his right hand?!? Any tips on how to get this right?

I also have a question about the armor runes, I put a mithril rune (never be exerted) on his breastplate , but he fell unconscious after killing a few wolves from being tired (he didn't sleep though, he got back up relatively fast). Would a chrome rune (stay awake) fix that? Does that rune remove their need to sleep and will not sleeping lead to health issues?

Previous versions of Masterwork (everything before 3b) had a bug where the armor runes did nothing.  To fix it, you need to update the itemsyndrome script, and change [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:DWARF:ALL] to [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:DWARF_INTER] in a bunch of files (use some sort of find/replace).
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Vodos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 17, 2013, 02:14:14 pm »

Previous versions of Masterwork (everything before 3b) had a bug where the armor runes did nothing.  To fix it, you need to update the itemsyndrome script, and change [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:DWARF:ALL] to [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:DWARF_INTER] in a bunch of files (use some sort of find/replace).

I'm using 3.b and Notepad++ found no instances of that, so I guess I'm playing the fixed version.

And what's wrong with a shield in one hand and a shield and two axes in another hand combination? Should be quite passable.

I, uuuh... it just seemed silly, I guess I'll give it a try.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 17, 2013, 02:31:08 pm »

If I remember correctly, holding multiple things in one hand disables the use of weapons in that hand, but every shield continues to work individually (giving a really good block chance).  This is a known exploit in adventure mode (going up to ten shields or more), but it's kinda hard to pull off in fortress mode.

The chrome rune adds the [NO_SLEEP] tag, which means that the creature does not need sleep.  I would expect that to make it immune to drowsiness as well, with no health problems and no happiness penalties.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 18, 2013, 08:47:36 am »

I seem to have a baby that has gone berserk, is there any way to calm the child that would also result in survival? Or should I go with my original plan and send him to the Armok Adoption Agency once I figure out how to get his mother to drop put him down for a minute.

FengYun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 18, 2013, 12:07:44 pm »

I am not sure, but the tavern building has a reaction 'sound the omnious horn (stop tantrums)'. You can try putting him next to the tavern. Psychiatrist should also help calm down angry dwarves.

EDIT: Ah, the tavern reaction probably will not help to calm the child down, but may save his mom survive her loss of a child bathing in magma easier.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 12:24:05 pm by FengYun »

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 18, 2013, 01:01:04 pm »

It's all good, things worked out. Apparently he had a sibling being carried around with him who was nice enough to beat him until he bled to death. Interestingly enough the mother doesn't seem to have an issue with the child's death while the sibling is quite unhappy.

Blackdot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 18, 2013, 02:40:15 pm »

How can I heal dwarves with disease?

Pascale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 18, 2013, 04:35:55 pm »

New dumb question: My Researcher's Study has a lot of red reactions, but it seems to have all the required materials. What's going on?

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 18, 2013, 05:16:44 pm »

How can I heal dwarves with disease?

Masterwork diseases are fairly minor, and will go away on their own after a while.  There's not much you can do to speed this up, although a Lifemancer will help a bit.  A Ward of Armok will help prevent future outbreaks of disease.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 18, 2013, 06:41:32 pm »

You need to launch the game through the Masterwork launcher (settings.exe), that should open a dfhack command prompt alongside the main DF window.

Ah, I was afraid of that....so any way to keep the game in fullscreen (i.e. without the game minimizing) while dfhacking?

Also I tried to use the embark command in the command prompt as well, and that didn't work. I get a bug that says "offset for embark patch not found!" what exactly does that mean?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 165