Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201614 times)

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #240 on: June 14, 2013, 11:32:18 am »

How do I make the runeforge improve a specific weapon?

Put that weapon and the materials for the rune(s) in a burrow with the runeforge, and put the runesmith in that burrow.  He'll only have access to the items in his burrow.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 14, 2013, 01:04:33 pm »

Or through stockpile manipulation and some minor forbidding.

Burrows tend to make my head explode... although I haven't really tried to use them all that much.

Pascale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 14, 2013, 02:21:44 pm »

So I have a dumb question: How can I build the Weaponry, Armory, and other workshops? I can't seem to find them under build -> Workshops

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 14, 2013, 02:22:35 pm »

furnace

Pascale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 14, 2013, 02:30:54 pm »

furnace
Ah. Boy do I feel stupid now.  :-[ Thanks.

EDIT: Also, how do I get a specific dwarf and that dwarf alone to go get himself turned into a golem? And how do I build a golem forge?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 02:49:27 pm by Pascale »

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 14, 2013, 02:48:55 pm »

EDIT: Also, how do I get a specific dwarf and that dwarf alone to go get himself turned into a golem?

Change the building profile to only allow that one dwarf.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 14, 2013, 04:18:11 pm »

Yes, it's been discussed quite a bit.  The original implementation of Harder farming was more unforgiving, because you had to race to get it [above ground seeds] planted before the end of spring.  Now, it's not so bad.  Just plan on gathering/hunting/fishing/trading/praying for a bit of extra food for the first couple years.  Once the fort is established, harder farming doesn't take more dorf-labor or seeds, just more space.  If you bother to micromanage you can stagger the planting seasons in plots so that harvests are seasonal rather than annual, although, I prefer to smooth out the annual harvest cycle by still using some other food sources.

More space seems like an euphemism. I have over 200 plot tiles(and 80pop), yet around 80% of food production has to be outsourced anyway.
It just feels so very wrong how stout labor the dwarves are supposed to be known for doesnt acocunt for jack, while a bunch of idlers praying in the shrines for time to time have double the output.
Also, I may be nitpicking here, but if farming needs more space, it sure as damn requires more seeds.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 14, 2013, 04:21:39 pm »

OK, fair enough.  What I meant is you don't need to *embark* with more seeds and still survive easily.
It certainly doesn't take more dwarves, you still plant each seed once and harvest the stack once.

Yes, you're right that 200 plot tiles is not that excessive with harder farming.  You can look at the ratio of the vanilla GROWDUR to the harder farming GROWDUR (that is the measure of how long the crops take to mature) and that is about the approximate ratio of more tiles that you need. 

edit.
I'm trying to picture how much crops I have in a mature self sustaining fort.  All the farms, clothiers industry and egg coops are in the inside of a 30x30 space.  I'm thinking ~400 tiles of underground farm plot, plus ~100 of aboveground crops (which are faster) and that's not counting if I decide to do tree farms.  With a suppliment of a little bit of fishing, eggs, and ranching it'll be swimming in infinite lavish meals after a few years.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:36:27 pm by smakemupagus »

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 14, 2013, 08:35:37 pm »

Harder farming still isn’t really all that hard if you follow all the rules; my 120 dorfs trade away lavish meals and I have less than 100 tiles of fields.  You only need plants for the thatchery to make paper and for seeds (oil and such for the explosives).  And I suppose wicker, if you want the lighter bins.  Otherwise, what you really want are FOOD and BOOZE and those are a function of stack size.  Five beats one by a lot, so to speak.  The Wiki pages on Grower and Quarry Bush detail this cascade effect.  I embark with two proficient farmers and they’re the first ones through the Guildhall (one is also the starting broker because somebody has to do it and it doesn’t take very much time away from the fields).  I take more seeds and spawn than necessary and after that first chair and a few bins, my carpenter makes barrels; this avoids the planting bug #5964 and ensures all tiles are planted without micromanagement.  Meph emphasizes the library for good reason; my Scribe also starts out proficient and after a few military and medical essays, he writes on farming.  During winter, my Growers read and are both legendary (or close) by the third year.  I plant 3x5 plots just out of habit from when fertilizer was hard to come by in vanilla, mostly rope reed and red jute only because that seems what paper should be made from.  And plump helmets because it’s DF, after all.  Every caravan comes by with cloth, leather and thread and farming silk is now easy, anyhow.  I buy all the cheap seeds that are offered because they all make oil and come with a bag.  Even with unguarded caravans, with a little help enough will make it through to provide variety and in any case, that’s what the Embassy is for.  I butcher large animals because of the larger meat stacks.  Like Smake, I keep a few egg-layers around (again, habit) but I don’t cook the eggs, they’re just breeding stock because you want smaller stacks for bones (more accurately, you want many stacks of bones, the size is immaterial).  Cheese is not expensive so I don’t fiddle with making any, but caravans bring it unasked.  A stone pot with masterwork lavish meals can top 30K as a trade good even without the bloody expensive cheese.  Meph is on record saying he made farming harder just so players can’t do what I just described so, the next release will probably include “incredibly harder farming.”   :)

Mushrooms: “harder mushrooms” is pretty much the only thing that comes to mind where Meph has posted something that is factually incorrect.  He wrote the mushrooms take longer to grow “as they should” but the only real-world mushrooms cultivated in the dark are Angaricus and they still flush pretty much like any other mushroom, with commercial cultivation cycles of 30 – 40 days (and as it turns out, it isn’t really necessary to grow them in the dark but the French do like their limestone caves).  Plump helmets are purple.  There aren’t many real-world purple mushrooms.  Dwarves are also drunkards and basically stupid.  That’s an interesting combination and several DF players are amateur mycologists and we’ve traded some interesting PMs about that.  (Write me if you’re interested; there are several NAMA members who post on Bay12.) 

Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)
« Reply #249 on: June 14, 2013, 09:11:56 pm »

I forage for mushrooms in the woods around here (northern New England) and it is amazing, from early spring to late fall, the huge assortment of mushrooms available for harvesting. Thing is, each type only show up for a couple weeks each year, in such narrow conditions. Never have seen commercial growing, though. But I love the assortment of shitaaki, bollete, morels, chanterelles, lobster and such. I bet DF could handle some pretty nifty shroom simulations considering the depth of the temp and weather systems. Yum.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #250 on: June 14, 2013, 09:53:32 pm »

My basic thinking was this:

Plants on the surface have sun and fresh air and rain. => Grow fast.
Plants in the caves have no light, no fresh air and no irrigation => Grow slow.

Underground farms are easier to produce gameplaywise, you can also make more of them, and protect them easier. Therefore underground farms give less food.

Aboveground plants are either dangerous, or walled in/moated in. There is limited space on the surface, and evil biomes have horrible rain. Since they are harder to make, they should produce more food.

Simply as that. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 15, 2013, 05:48:29 am »

Anyone know why the graphic for above ground trees has suddenly changed to that of a sideways wooden throne? And I mean suddenly, I was playing last night on this very fort and they were trees like normal. I'm somewhat puzzled.
« Reply #252 on: June 15, 2013, 08:14:40 pm »

For the first time ever I am experiencing massive waves of dizziness in my little dudes. I know that some workshops can cause different effects, but I just can't seem to track down the source of the dizziness. Any ideas?

EDIT: A huge number of them seem to be "infected with insomnia and no longer need to sleep", but they haven't had access to insomnium. What a bizarre thing haha
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:42:20 pm by Victorian Era Rocketry »

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 15, 2013, 10:55:33 pm »

For the first time ever I am experiencing massive waves of dizziness in my little dudes. I know that some workshops can cause different effects, but I just can't seem to track down the source of the dizziness. Any ideas?

Diseases?  Sometimes a migrant brings a mild plague to your fort.
« Reply #254 on: June 15, 2013, 11:22:44 pm »

Diseases?  Sometimes a migrant brings a mild plague to your fort.

The chief medical dwarf doesn't seem to see anything, and in the HEALTH screen they are all perfectly healthy. Not even a scratch. I've had a visit from a very pleasant, very polite megabeast deity but he is just hanging around outside. I've looked through all their descriptions and they all seem normal, with no obvious curses or anything. I get a combat message once in a while that says, "The Farmer is infected by insomnia, and no longer needs to sleep," even though the health screen shows no infection. I just got a good supply of soap made, and they seem to be washing up pretty steadily so maybe they had something. It doesn't seem to be debilitating, but when they get dizzy they seem to move at half speed.

So long as it doesn't get worse, it is actually kind of interesting.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 165