Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201551 times)

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #180 on: May 31, 2013, 08:32:13 am »

How do you get turrets to fire at enemies?  I bought a bullet turret and I have it pastured behind a fortification along my entrance pathway.  I have seen enemies run right past it without it doing anything.  Am I missing something?

When you say 'behind fortifications', you mean behind and directly adjacent to the fortifications, correct?  Just checking.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 01, 2013, 05:51:17 am »

2. The wording for the Ward of Armok is a bit confusing to me. From reading it, it seems like I should be able to build the ward as a permanent structure, as well as from the temple reaction to Ask Armok for Help. The later transforms the dwarf performing the action into a ward temporarily.

Armok’s Ward is a Being (tame, not a structure), that you can also take at embark or purchase from caravans.  It will sort of wander about unless you restrict it to an activity zone.
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Impedocles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 01, 2013, 04:38:09 pm »

How do you get turrets to fire at enemies?  I bought a bullet turret and I have it pastured behind a fortification along my entrance pathway.  I have seen enemies run right past it without it doing anything.  Am I missing something?

When you say 'behind fortifications', you mean behind and directly adjacent to the fortifications, correct?  Just checking.

Yes, I placed it immediately behind the fortifications, which was about 10 squares away from a line of vertical grates forming one wall of the entrance pathway.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 01, 2013, 05:15:55 pm »

How sure are you that things can shoot through vertical grates from far away?  I've never tried that.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 01, 2013, 06:34:30 pm »

I'm not sure things can be shot through vertical grates at all, though I've never tried. I know vertical bars can be, not so sure about grates.

gn0rt0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 02, 2013, 12:35:04 am »

Armok’s Ward is a Being (tame, not a structure), that you can also take at embark or purchase from caravans.  It will sort of wander about unless you restrict it to an activity zone.

Thank you. This explains why I can't see it on the menus. I'll have to pay closer attention to the trade caravans. I never really use them.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #186 on: June 02, 2013, 02:34:04 am »

Yes, I placed it immediately behind the fortifications, which was about 10 squares away from a line of vertical grates forming one wall of the entrance pathway.

I'm not 100% sure but I think there must be a way to path to the target for a creature to use its interactions. But I'm not 100% sure, I think Meph mentioned this awhile ago concerning fire turrets

Impedocles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 06, 2013, 01:10:26 pm »

Will a robe made of nether bark leather protect the wearer against dragonfire?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 06, 2013, 01:29:52 pm »

No, probably not.

microMOOSE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 06, 2013, 01:48:12 pm »

Does it seem like coal is more deadly than it should be?  Playing a newish fort and two dwarfs suffocate almost at the same time with no warning.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 01:49:54 pm by microMOOSE »

Impedocles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 06, 2013, 02:00:28 pm »

No, probably not.

Is that because nether-wood bark doesn't protect against fire or because the robe doesn't cover everything?  I know that nether-wood is the only substance immune to dragonfire, and I've heard that armor made from it can protect dwarves.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 06, 2013, 05:29:52 pm »

Even in full armor there are always parts that wont be completely covered. And going by the Adventure game I played this morning in which I was melted by two Firebirds while wearing full netherbark under my other armor it probably wont guarantee survival. If you are thinking about using it for Military dwarves who will also be using shields, then go for it. Since they will be able to block any dragonfire breath attacks if they are skilled enough, shield material shouldn't matter either. I had put my adventurers shield away a few minutes before, and then forgot to re-equip it when I was jumped. Melting to death is not the most heroic death...

Impedocles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 06, 2013, 07:56:45 pm »

I tested in the object arena,  and it doesn't seen to protect any body part. I'm wanting a way of protecting orcs from my pet dragons.  I may mod in a deep bronze rune that grants fire immunity.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 06, 2013, 08:35:25 pm »

Well, dragonfire is a tad stronger than regular old fire.

Impedocles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 06, 2013, 09:33:44 pm »

True, but dragons are immune to it so there must be a tag.  Besides which, the dragonfire can be blocked but the wildfire that it creates will still kill dwarves too stupid to get out of it.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 165