Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201510 times)

CheeseHolePete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2013, 12:46:41 am »

Ah thank you. I never used the manager before purely because I really dont mind manually creating things in the workshops. I just never really saw the point of the manager except for if you are lazy etc.

So, I guess I'll make a manager then. Thanks.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2013, 12:47:24 am »

The best way I have of gleaning any specific info is to do a google search or a thread search here

What else would you expect?

If you encounter some fact that's not in the manual, or that you can't find in a reasonable amount of time by googling/searching, by all means ask and someone nice like Firehawk will help you out :)  If you feel like "wow, that information was important, it should be more widely available!"  .... then once you know it, I encourage you to post it in the wiki to help the next person :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 12:51:17 am by smakemupagus »

CheeseHolePete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2013, 12:49:35 am »

Please don't beat up on me if this has already been discussed  :)  I find it damn near impossible to find specific information. The best way I have of gleaning any specific info is to do a google search or a thread search here, but 9 times out of 10, it isnt specific to my question... I end up having to read through 700 posts trying to find anything lol.

What else would you expect?

Hehe it's all good  :)  I really love this mod. I just hit roadblocks here and there, and it becomes tough to figure it out sometimes. It's all a learning experience and fun though.

If I knew more about the mod, I'd contribute to the wiki and help get a better knowledge base going. Maybe after a few more playthroughs. :)

CheeseHolePete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2013, 01:00:43 am »

I take it the Libraries are the same way huh? I just built those and bound some books, wrote a couple on ranged combat,
and said "read book on ranged combat" in the library and the guy who wrote the book came to read them.

He's not a marksdwarf, so I was a little confused. The manager will be able to tell my marksdwarves to go read the ranged combat books eh?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2013, 01:09:06 am »

Yeah, workshop profiles can either be set to only specific dwarves (probably what you want for guilds), or all dwarves whose skill levels are greater than X and less than Y (sounds like what you were expecting for library).

It's a vanilla feature, you can use it for example to make sure only your best smith makes the weapons, or whatever.

CheeseHolePete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2013, 01:13:54 am »

Ahhh, got ya. Thanks.

Yeah I really had very little experience with Vanilla before jumping into Masterwork, so that has been kind of a stumbling block. That makes sense on the gulds for sure. I should probably build a guildhall for each trade then I'm guessing to keep it organized.

I'll get it. Thanks again for the help.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2013, 01:20:05 am »

You're welcome, no problem!

Grimdox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2013, 03:34:30 am »

So where do we craft the Bifrost weaponry now? I've got a half dozen bars lying around, and it's not available at either my magma forge or Great Magma Forge. I've had a look through the raws, it looks like all the reactions still point to the Great Bifrost Forge as the way to go. There's also no documentation about it in the changelogs or manual... I'm thinking this is a bug?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2013, 03:43:54 am »

It should be in the forge, but it seems that the WEAPONS and ARMOR and AMMO tags are missing from the inorganic file for it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hefateus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2013, 09:11:03 am »

@CheeseHolePete Another thing that is helpful is to nickname your dwarf for easy finding/reference.  ctrl+shift+n will allow you to nickname just about anything.

misiekm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2013, 05:06:23 pm »

I've finally started messing around with some of the mage transformations, and I'm wondering about the demonbound.

I made my commander into a Demonbound, slapped some drow armor on him, gave him a shiny new Bloodsteel Greataxe, and he seems to wield it with just one hand with no problem. Then I gave him another one, but... he seems to hold them both in his right hand (which is admittedly badass, but not quite the dualwielding I was aiming for). Is there any way to force him to actually dual wield, and is there actually any reason / advantage to doing so except RPing? :)

On a side note, I put him (plus his two pet war dragon raptors) against 25 gobbo prisoners I'd accumulated. That room is now positively swimming in blood. Damn he's good. He only used his second axe to kill one enemy though :(

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2013, 06:14:19 pm »

There's not really any dual wielding in the current version of DF.  Toady's devlogs seem to indicate it is coming in the next version.

misiekm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2013, 06:03:58 am »

Right. Greataxe / Shield is still better than Battle Axe / Shield, anyway :)

On an unrelated note, I checked my squad of 4 normal, non-caste dwarves wielding Great axes. Two of them correctly multigrasp, one single-grasps (but he's got a crutch in the other hand - that makes for a rather funny mental image), and the last one single-grasps for no apparent reason but to prove he could. Weird.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2013, 09:27:02 am »

Hmm, It should be possible for some larger than average dwarves to singlegrasp a greataxe.

[BODY_SIZE:5:0:70000] (average size for masterwork dwarf)
   [BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:75:95:98:100:102:105:125]
   [BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:75:95:98:100:102:105:125]

70000*1.25*1.25 = 109,375 (max size for MDF dwarf, I think: easily big enough!)

and the needed size is
[TWO_HANDED:77500]

However those guys are quite rare, if you step down one bodysize interval
70000*1.05*1.05 = 77175
not quite big enough

I think Therapist, unless something has changed in recent versions, looks at the average rather than the individual's size on the tab where it tells you what weapons can be singlegrasped.

misiekm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2013, 10:19:06 am »

Oh, that's probably it. I'd assumed all the dwarves very simply set to 70000 in MW after checking out the Weapons tab in Therapist. Thank you. Is there any way to check a dwarf's size , or should I just hand them an axe and see what they do when forming squads?

Let me also share something I found quite amusing.

Well that's one whim I will not be fulfilling anytime soon :D
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 165