Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201329 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #975 on: September 23, 2013, 10:40:47 am »

Corrupted bloodsteel should drive dwarves insane for random periods, but I think it doesnt work atm, because the syntax of the script behind it was changed... (?)

I think giving boulder crabs the ability to lay flux boulders in addition to eggs would make more sense then the one stone from butchering them.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: September 23, 2013, 10:54:27 am »

Wait for it...

Its peat.
The soil peat.
Thank you ^^

So if i dont get any "peat" layer material in my dfprospect output, i can conclude that my embark is empty of it, right ? Clay and Sand are in that list.

Pretty much yes, I never had prospect go wrong.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: September 23, 2013, 11:23:57 am »

Is it possible to make a separate stockpile for "(library goods) page" and "(library goods) farming tome" and such?

I'm really struggling with making a set of stockpiles just for the scriptorium.

I give up, the whole system is all over the place. I'll just use a quantum dump and hope none of it is food that can spoil...
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: September 23, 2013, 11:24:50 am »

The flux from boulder crab is from its shell, right? Is it possible to make the flux shearable?
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: September 23, 2013, 01:18:04 pm »

Is it possible to make a separate stockpile for "(library goods) page" and "(library goods) farming tome" and such?

I give up, the whole system is all over the place. I'll just use a quantum dump and hope none of it is food that can spoil...

Use autodump to dump it all onto a food stockpile that doesnt accept anything.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: September 23, 2013, 01:26:09 pm »

Good idea :)

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: September 23, 2013, 02:18:11 pm »

How big is a Boulder Crab's litter? How many of them I can expect to be born after a year?

In case I want to "farm" flux stone from them safely.

Boulder crabs are [CLUTCH_SIZE:1:2] and [CHILD:1] meaning 1-2 eggs and one year to go from child to adult I believe. Near as I can tell, Eggs are hardcoded to 3 months until hatching so overall, a waste of time. Actually, eggs in general are so nerfed in this mod I gave up on them completely.

A safer and faster way would be to use moleweasels or other vermin-hunters. Vermin remains turn into flux (bone meal) at Apothecary's study.

Yup! And it gives your medic something constructive to do.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #982 on: September 23, 2013, 03:16:23 pm »

Time till an egg hatches depends on bodysize of the creature, if I am not mistaken. its not hardcoded. Bearded Cavernkeets, the dwarven domestic bird, have 1-3 eggs, and I use them often in forts for food production.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: September 23, 2013, 03:35:59 pm »

Good idea :)

Have you tried using a finished goods stockpile with it only accepting items made from the (library goods) stone type?
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: September 23, 2013, 03:43:11 pm »

you can make a stockpile only take from links so make it take only from the building

make 2 stockpiles take everything
make both take from links only
link 1 to take from the scribe building(s) making the tomes or pages
make stuff at the building but only 1 of the items
switch the stockpiles so that the empty will take from the scribe
a little micromanagement but it works unless you use multiple scribe buildings which just means no job manager :P
or have a mechanism that alternates stockpiles causing them to drop in different stockpiles ;)
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: September 23, 2013, 04:01:47 pm »

from the magma wiki...

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Egg
All fertilized eggs left undisturbed in a nest box hatch after exactly 3 months, unlike in real life.

Not saying it's absolutely right, but if you cannot monkey with the end result Meph, it prolly stands to reason.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: September 23, 2013, 04:15:58 pm »

Have you tried using a finished goods stockpile with it only accepting items made from the (library goods) stone type?

I've tried many things.

There are two related options in Finished goods -> Type (Tools and Books).

There are three related options in Finished goods -> Stone/Clay ((Books) Masterpiece, library supplies and library goods).

I've tried various combinations... At some point I managed to get at least the Masterpiece setting right, but I don't remember the exact combination anymore  ::)

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: September 23, 2013, 05:12:35 pm »

Even with the nerf, eggs are a still a good source of food and basically you donīt need stables or graze to give then maintenance, just be becareful about animals have lifespan, so they gonna die in some years. I ever wait to have 2 groups of hatchings separated by some time.

I use Bouldercrabs, cavernets, Molewesels, milk-cheese for create prepared meals, and when are way too much Moles and/or tuskoxs I can use the meal too.

Still want have a big ass animal that could give me tons of meat like elephants or whales.

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: September 23, 2013, 05:47:39 pm »

I've tried many things.

There are three related options in Finished goods -> Stone/Clay ((Books) Masterpiece, library supplies and library goods).

I've tried various combinations... At some point I managed to get at least the Masterpiece setting right, but I don't remember the exact combination anymore  ::)

Finished Goods stockpile
  - Don't filter by Type
  - Forbid Stone/Clay, then specify (library supplies), (library goods), and (books) masterpiece to be allowed.
  - Forbid Metal
  - Forbid Other Materials

Make sure to remove those Stone types from any other Finished Goods stockpiles.  You may have to dump them to get them out of Bins first. In this quick test, I had to dump them but I also had the bins set to 0 for the library stockpile.

Same applies for any other items that may use those special material definitions to distinguish them, such as (fishing supplies) near your Fishpond.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 05:50:43 pm by Billy Jack »
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: September 23, 2013, 06:21:16 pm »

I've tried many things.

Finished Goods stockpile
  - Don't filter by Type
  - Forbid Stone/Clay, then specify (library supplies), (library goods), and (books) masterpiece to be allowed.
  - Forbid Metal
  - Forbid Other Materials

Make sure to remove those Stone types from any other Finished Goods stockpiles.  You may have to dump them to get them out of Bins first. In this quick test, I had to dump them but I also had the bins set to 0 for the library stockpile.

Same applies for any other items that may use those special material definitions to distinguish them, such as (fishing supplies) near your Fishpond.

That just creates a general library stockpile. What I was trying to do was to separate actual readable books from the other crap that can only be used in Scriptorium.

Without separating, haulers keep snatching books from dwarves that are trying to read them on repeat.

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 165