Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201481 times)

kangzx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #870 on: September 12, 2013, 10:21:06 am »

Archeology spoiler
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #871 on: September 12, 2013, 10:41:24 am »

Spoiler: Possible answer (click to show/hide)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ranger22550

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: September 12, 2013, 04:12:06 pm »

how does military training work? when the weapons have poison coating and runes of death and carnage? id like to know so i dont turn my new recruits into gibs since my main trainer dwarf has grown attached to his gcs/helmet snake venom coated Rune Encrusted Bladed Flail. cause ive see him melt down elves with ebony armor and my recruits are all kids of my seasoned parents who i chose as my first squad cause there prone to rage and rampaging lashers just crush everything and complete paralysis and acute necrosis is not the best way to train the kid of said rampaging lashers with rune encrusted masterful candy armor more so when 3 of them are firemancers cause they have dragon scale padding armor so they wade through lava quarters to go train  :o

tl:dr is poisons and runes used when training? :-\

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #873 on: September 12, 2013, 04:28:21 pm »

Poison no, runes maybe. I wouldnt do it, if I were you and if I wanted to play it safe.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

cainiao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: September 12, 2013, 10:21:58 pm »

how does military training work? when the weapons have poison coating and runes of death and carnage? id like to know so i dont turn my new recruits into gibs since my main trainer dwarf has grown attached to his gcs/helmet snake venom coated Rune Encrusted Bladed Flail. cause ive see him melt down elves with ebony armor and my recruits are all kids of my seasoned parents who i chose as my first squad cause there prone to rage and rampaging lashers just crush everything and complete paralysis and acute necrosis is not the best way to train the kid of said rampaging lashers with rune encrusted masterful candy armor more so when 3 of them are firemancers cause they have dragon scale padding armor so they wade through lava quarters to go train  :o

tl:dr is poisons and runes used when training? :-\

TIME for !!SCIENCE!!

Lottanubs

• Bay Watcher
  • [DF_JOKE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: September 12, 2013, 10:58:43 pm »

Thanks to this thread, and using the Brick Furnace, I've managed to mass-produce brick blocks essentially for free (only slightly freer than digging out stone) to be used in either surface constructions or underground furniture, the color of which is easily controlled. The process is detailed adequately in that linked post.

Anyway, I steamed for a little while on how to collect clay boulders (because I had never messed with clay before earlier today), until I found I was forced to build the Clay Oven in order to run the "collect sand/clay/peat" reaction on repeat. Cool. I continued to have an excess of fire clay until my Oven Operator hit legendary. Currently, I have four Clay Ovens running the "collect clay/sand/peat" reaction in order to generate more collection jobs.

Recently, I've build a Screw Press one z-level above in a peat layer to start collecting and compressing peat to use as fuel for the smelters. I figured the four Clay Ovens would also take care of telling workers to collect peat, but that doesn't seem to be the case. At any given time, three to four workers are all working the tile next to the Brick Furnace. Occasionally one worker will approach the designated peat tile and dig. I need to find a way to group workers on top of the peat tile in the same consistent manner they camp on the fire clay. Would building a Clay Oven on the same z-level as the Screw Press and setting the "collect sand/clay/peat" reaction have a worker collect the peat?

Basically, my question is: Does the "collect sand/clay/peat" reaction in the Clay Oven prefer to send a worker to the closest collection zone? does it prefer to have workers gather higher-value materials? or does it just send workers to random collection zones, all willy-nilly?

Also: it seems rather clunky to have to build redundant Clay Ovens just to produce more collection jobs. Is there any way to have workers automatically collect from zones? Or is there some other way to manage collection without the use of a physical workshop? Don't get me wrong, Clay Ovens are pretty damn cheap and I'm on no shortage of space, but it just seems odd to me to build a whole workshop to govern collection only to have it tucked away in a back room, gathering cobwebs.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #876 on: September 13, 2013, 12:00:11 am »

Collect Sand and Collect Clay is hardcoded. Just like beekeeping, which targets any hive, regardless of content, Clay collection targets any clay, peat or dirt.

The best assumption is that the nearest zone to the job-giving workshop is used, starting from the upper-left, like mining and woodcutting. This is speculation on my part.

And yes, you do need the extra workshops for extra jobs, thats hardcoded as well.

I might also introduce a Is_STONE requirement for the brick oven, to stop this exploit, at least from dirt and peat. Clay and Fireclay bricks are completely fine.  One the one hand, the brick oven is for megaprojects that need colors... on the other people have been using it a bit too much it seems, so what I did in my dev-version is this:
 - Removed the dust-cloud it generates, lowering the gained XP from running one job.
 - Adding a fuel-requirement, one coke for burning bricks. A magma-version is now available.
 - Lowered the value of bricks.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: September 13, 2013, 05:13:17 am »

I'd wager its actually based on proximity to the dwarf at the moment he picked the job, just as they do when selecting materials. If your meeting hall, or wherever your dwarves generally idle, is closer to your clay zone than the peat zone (e.g. if the meeting hall is at Z, clay zone at Z+#, peat zone at Z+#+1), they'd more frequently collect clay than peat. But I don't know the layout of your fort to know whether it makes sense that, on occasion, a dwarf is closer to the peat zone to collect that instead - for example, perhaps they were coming from the surface when they found that job.

A possible work around is to make a huge burrow encompassing most of your fort except the clay collection area (workshops and zone both) and assign however many specific dwarves you want only collecting peat to it. In theory, everyone else will still move in and out of the burrow to do jobs, because they aren't assigned to one, while your peat dwarves will stay within the burrow, meaning they won't take a job from the ovens intended for clay collection or try to use the clay collection zone when doing a peat-oven job.

A slightly more likely to work method is to make a small burrow encompassing your peat collection zone and stock it with beds and food and assign a dwarf or two to stay "locked" in that burrow, forever collecting peat and throwing it down to your smelters/screw presses for compaction.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #878 on: September 13, 2013, 05:25:21 am »

The easiest way is to only collect one material at a time...  and if you have no stockpiles for the materials, the dwarf will just stand on the 1-tile collecting zone and quantum stockpile unlimited boulders... saves a lot of time. ;)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: September 13, 2013, 05:37:30 am »

Psh, sure, take the easy road if you want to cheat and micromanage and stuff!

CheatingChicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: September 13, 2013, 07:38:11 am »

This question is more about dfhack. Is there a way to automatically assign newborn animals to the same pasture as their parents?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #881 on: September 13, 2013, 08:06:39 am »

I dont know... there is a pasturing plugin by falconne, check the threads and the readme for those.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: September 13, 2013, 09:15:01 am »

This question is more about dfhack. Is there a way to automatically assign newborn animals to the same pasture as their parents?

Should already happen, I know it does for me
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: September 13, 2013, 09:34:03 am »

To collect clay and peat and dirt, use Workflow.  Highlight the collect job in the list and use ctrl-W to set the constraints.

Then hit A to add a limit, Shift-Enter to enter the advance, p to specify the material, I to go into the Inorganics menu, and type out the name that you want to collect (peat, dirt, clay, fire clay).  Set the range with R, then y to accept it.  NOTE:  Back at the constraints window (where you hit the A) it won't show anything and you'll think you did it wrong, hit CTRL+i to show all of your constraints and you'll see that you have one set for that material.

Then create another collect task and do the same for the next material that you want to maintain a stock supply.

Even though I exploit this quit a bit, I'm all for crippling it.  Apply no skill to it so it doesn't power-level. I've got a fort full of Oven operators, who can all crank out decent clay based trade goods.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 09:35:44 am by Billy Jack »
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: September 13, 2013, 01:19:26 pm »

Is beetle honeydew a toxin as well as being delicious, or do I need to keep my toxicologist away from my mead ingredients? I told him to use imported toxins, and he smeared it over EVERYTHING.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 165