Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201649 times)

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #705 on: August 18, 2013, 07:36:57 am »

Is there anything to increase the chance of guild convertion working?
Currently it seems almost never to work for me. (5% of time or so) I have burnt through half a dozen bins full of coins and only got 3 converts and a baby someone was carrying. I seem to have to use 10k dorfbucks for a 500coin convert.

How do you convert your dorfs? Do you burrow them in the guildhall or something?
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #706 on: August 18, 2013, 07:45:53 am »

Ah, god damn it, I forgot about this again. It should be 100%, if I change one line in the inorganics.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: August 18, 2013, 11:15:21 am »

Ah, god damn it, I forgot about this again. It should be 100%, if I change one line in the inorganics.
Well, I think that I got it working by adding [SYN_INHALED] (Does syn_contact work on gasses?)
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Vabalokis

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McKneeGrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: August 18, 2013, 12:00:33 pm »

How to avoid metalwraiths? Started 3.f embarked and in the first few months months encountered metalwraith which is impossible to kill early on then i thought its random thing and embarken on new starting point. And this time i survived about a year , everything seemed fine , started to gear my dwarfs for battle and then 3 metalwraiths poped out... Am i mega noob or this is too imba?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 01:31:30 pm by Vabalokis »

masterdiscord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: August 18, 2013, 03:50:47 pm »

I'm still using 3.e, but I have a bit of a weird situation and I don't know if it's vanilla or MW. No plagues are turned on, and I have a medical dwarf, if that matters. My carpenter, named As, got hurt somehow (the combat logs don't show?) and rested for a month or so. He got up after he was diagnosed and his [w]ounds screen said he was fine. I noticed he was bleeding all over, so I went into the health screen and his status was fine but he had a problem with his lungs and heart on the second tab.

Just because I couldn't get the doc to do anything further, I did a fullheal in DFhack. Even though I can no longer see any injuries on the medical screen or on his wounds, he's still bleeding all over. I don't get it.

Varyag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: August 18, 2013, 04:17:17 pm »

My carpenter, named As, got hurt somehow (the combat logs don't show?) and rested for a month or so. He got up after he was diagnosed and his [w]ounds screen said he was fine. I noticed he was bleeding all over, so I went into the health screen and his status was fine but he had a problem with his lungs and heart on the second tab.

Has he at some point been assigned to mining?

Mining and smelting are both risky assignments if you have harder mining/smelting on. problem with lungs could be coal dust. Could also be warpstone.

How to avoid metalwraiths? Started 3.f embarked and in the first few months months encountered metalwraith which is impossible to kill early on then i thought its random thing and embarken on new starting point. And this time i survived about a year , everything seemed fine , started to gear my dwarfs for battle and then 3 metalwraiths poped out... Am i mega noob or this is too imba?

Get started on a military right away, get them iron axes the first thing you do. Iron or steel picks are also a good choice for your miners when you have surplus metal as they will be able to kill metalwraiths in one hit provided they don't manage to outrun them. Legendary miners with steel picks can dispatch half a dozen metalwraiths on their own.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 04:22:48 pm by Varyag »

masterdiscord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: August 18, 2013, 07:09:10 pm »

Haven't hit warpstone nor coal, and I don't have harder mining on anyway. Don't have harder smelting on either, and he's a carpenter. :s He appears to be fine but he's still spewing blood all over the fortress. lol

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: August 18, 2013, 10:33:18 pm »

bitteroots and shadowleaf seeds I brought at embark, do I have to do something special to plant them? they don't even show on the farm plot list...

Spacebat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: August 18, 2013, 11:53:20 pm »

I suppose I should ask this here, does anybody know why the Timberyard, Church of Dark Depths, Fountain of Youth, and Hall of the Mountain King are disabled in the current release? I want to start playing but I'm hesitant to turn them on even though I haven't found any reason not to.

EDIT: it's because Meph can't change the UI right now, disregard me, I suck spiked steel balls.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:08:34 am by Spacebat »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #714 on: August 19, 2013, 05:05:50 am »

If they dont show up in your farmplots, then your fort is in the wrong biome. Your homeciv has access to them, so you can buy the seeds, but your embark cant farm them.

The older buildings you listed have been replaced, I just couldnt update the Settings.exe yet. Dont worry, everything is there. Have a look at the manual for the updated list of all buildings.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: August 19, 2013, 08:16:23 am »

If they dont show up in your farmplots, then your fort is in the wrong biome. Your homeciv has access to them, so you can buy the seeds, but your embark cant farm them.
*checks raws* so bitterroot have BIOME: ANY_FOREST, so... I can't farm them if I don't have a farm plot on the forest biome tiles of my embark map, is that it?

shadowleaves have subterranean biomes, but while I could farm other subterranean plants (plump helmets) I couldn't plant these...

This was on version 3c though, I'll check on 3f and report back.

Parhelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: August 19, 2013, 08:31:48 am »

So - can dwarves casually murder one another without getting caught?

I had an elite wrestler in a starting game (woo-hoo, rare guilded dwarf!).  Sometime during the second year, stuff was kind of going to heck -- way too big migration waves brought with them all sorts of nasties (mostly way-too-brave kobolds and goblins).  My dwarves were scattered around outside picking them off one by one and the elite and one of the migrants had disappeared around the backside of my volcano, off doing their own little thing.

After a while, the elite shows back up and proceeds to facestomp the goblins.  And then everyone goes back inside and throws a big party.

After a while, I go looking through my unit lists and checked on the elite, and noticed she had 1 'notable kill': one of my other dwarves.  I then checked the death log, and yep, sure enough, that missing dwarf was dead.  Combat logs offered NO information (not even a 'she threw a punch' message -- just an empty 'There are no announcements.' page.) 

As an aside, the elite was very happy with herself.

EDIT:

Could you provide quick-fix instructions to resolve the transformation chances of guilding dwarves?  I assume its something I can just copy and paste, but I don't know the appropriate tag and what file+items to do it to.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 08:36:36 am by Parhelion »

Xiaras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: August 19, 2013, 06:25:37 pm »

So am I just having terrible luck, or is mining Coal basically guaranteed death for a miner? I know Harder Mining is the cause, I'm just curious as to how deadly coal dust is supposed to be. I mean they literally die within 3-4 squares from where they got hit with the dust.

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
« Reply #718 on: August 19, 2013, 08:34:09 pm »

The effect seems to be cumulative. If they get nauseous or anything cancel the designation, and switch to a different miner.
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: August 19, 2013, 09:51:31 pm »

Way back when warpstone was first introduced there was talk about equipping miners with full cloth padded armor and masks to prevent the dust from contact to the dwarf. I never did get to truly validate that myself. It may be false hope with the way syndromes actually work.

Allowing the miners to take breaks and heal between doses does seem to help. Highly skilled miners unfortunately dig several blocks too quickly.
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 165