Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201631 times)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #675 on: August 12, 2013, 07:50:27 am »

Hi guys   whats everyone use for trading other than the normal rock wood ect crafts ?
copied over from "What's going on in your fort?" thread.

Rock crafts; you been reading the vanilla Wiki page?   :) 
“Best trading goods” depends upon the theme of your fortress.  If you’re into metals then, serrated discs.  Somebody posted recently about a 70K pot of meals; I want those recipes because the best my dwarves have ever been able to do was 36K for a stone pot of legendary yak roasts w/ whip vine flour, cheese and sunshine.  After establishing magma metalworks, I train the peasants and migrants on metal short swords, goblets, helms and such (because how many legendary craftsdwarves does a fortress need?).  In vanilla DF, a couple of good cooks brings more money than you’d ever need.  In MW, I like metals and stone; seems more dwarfy.  Until Meph catches on and handicaps the caravans, serrated metal discs seem to have the highest Return On Investment (assuming magma forges and one decent weaponsmith).   Because that 70K pot of meals made me curious and I’m on a 4x4 embark with two spires of adamantine, I wasted three blue bars and my weaponsmith made a ☼large, serrated adamantine disc☼ worth 453.6K – I’m saving it until one of my gemcutters catches a mood, then I’m going to encrust it with white diamonds from the Screw Press and put it in the dining hall.  And that will be worth posting, maybe, in the “What’s going on” thread.    :)
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 12, 2013, 08:22:23 am »

Rock crafts yes  easy to just put on repeat at the start and can normal buy whatever I want from first few caravans  :P

Better get masterchef on in the dinning hall and see what we can cook up

Wonder what a DF version of come dine with me would be like ?

blazing glory

« Reply #677 on: August 12, 2013, 09:03:08 am »

ah yeah um you see i only discoverd the orc questions thread AFTER i posted the question and the reason i made a thread and posted on this thread was i wanted a anser as quick as possible so i'm a horrible horrible person ::)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: August 12, 2013, 04:49:56 pm »

Blast Furnace: Do they produce more metal for the same amount of ore? Or do they just save time and coal? Or just time, and use the same amount of coal?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
« Reply #679 on: August 13, 2013, 05:36:38 am »

I want to contaminate my well with Tears of Armok, a drink. Can I do this? Can I just drop the barrel in the well and that work, or do I need to somehow get it out of the barrel? If the latter is that possible without dfhack?
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

firons2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: August 13, 2013, 10:05:57 am »

I have 2 quick questions from the new version.

1. How do i use tame changelings? Their description says that they can turn into any creature with the help of a workshop. What workshop do they use?

2. What does the monster statue interaction: "Have a close look at the statues vicious claws" do?

Thanks in advance!

masterdiscord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: August 13, 2013, 11:16:40 am »

I noticed that Dwarf Therapist doesn't have 'roles' assigned for several of your skills, and dorfs NEVER have aptitude for Woodcutting now. They're always determined to be legendary bad. I would guess that this is because DT doesn't have attributes assigned to tell it what makes a dwarf good at that skill. I love using that feature because I can usually get the most out of the dorfs with no skills. If they'll make a good smith, I draft them into the smith corps. But who makes a good scribe?

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: August 13, 2013, 11:27:21 am »

I have 2 quick questions from the new version.

1. How do i use tame changelings? Their description says that they can turn into any creature with the help of a workshop. What workshop do they use?

2. What does the monster statue interaction: "Have a close look at the statues vicious claws" do?

Thanks in advance!

Use changelings in the Colosseum check the manual for more detail.

Your second question no idea why dont you get a dwarf to do it and let us all know  ;D

Do you have to use gold for the guildhall or can silver be used or any other coins?

cdombroski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: August 13, 2013, 11:30:28 am »

According to the raws the statue interactions don't do anything
Code: [Select]
##################################
#####  DECORATIONS: STATUES   ##########
##################################
//just for flavor, so their list is not empy:

[REACTION:MONSTER_STATUE]
[NAME:*Have a close look at the statues vicious claws*]
[BUILDING:MONSTER_STATUE:CUSTOM_A]

[REACTION:BOOGEYMAN_STATUE]
[NAME:*Make the sign of armok for protection while walking past the statue*]
[BUILDING:BOOGEYMAN_STATUE:CUSTOM_A]

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: August 13, 2013, 01:35:44 pm »

ah yeah um you see i only discoverd the orc questions thread AFTER i posted the question and the reason i made a thread and posted on this thread was i wanted a anser as quick as possible so i'm a horrible horrible person ::)

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?action=search2

Corundum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: August 13, 2013, 03:54:20 pm »

I have 2 questions about an earlier version of the game. I'm not sure if these jobs are still in the later versions so I figured I should mention that first.

Can a dwarf be a lifemancer and also undergo guard training?

Can a psyker undergo guard training as well?

Thank you for answering my previous questions, it's helped a lot. :)

blazing glory

« Reply #686 on: August 13, 2013, 09:39:35 pm »

i'm also lazy so i don't wanna have to sift through the whole search results list :-[ so yeah i'm just lazy a horrible horrible person

masterdiscord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: August 14, 2013, 03:26:39 pm »

I got the Magma Rune Armory built, but none of the reactions are accessible. They all say they need "METAL_COATING Bars" where METAL is whatever material is chosen. I must be missing a step somewhere.

Unfortunately turning on the Metallurgist and the Slag Pit didn't fix that problem for this fort, so I'm having to buy all my alloys :s I don't even have any flux stones. Tons of platinum and aluminum though.

My small military HAS managed to kill three titans with a reasonably assortment of masterwork steel though. They're all legendary miners with battlepicks. :) The last one was a fire breathing, flying llama. It chased my war elephants around the yard until they ran inside, then my dorf looked at it and its head sailed off in an arc. :D

EDIT: Another question - Does the prison function as part of the justice system? I mean, will the mayor accept incarceration in the Prison as a sentence? Just wondering what exactly it's for.

ANOTHER EDIT: I couldn't figure out why I had 1000 Quarry Bushes and still no leaves to dry. The vanilla Process Plants skill doesn't exist in MW? I have farming and herbalism enabled for multiple dorfs and they won't do it, and when I checked in vanilla Dwarf Therapist, the points I have in Milling on one dorf were classified as Plant Processing but that didn't work either.  UPDATE: I got someone to do some processing and have [30] Leaves in my Stocks screen now, but STILL can't use the kiln. -.-
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:05:48 pm by masterdiscord »

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
« Reply #688 on: August 14, 2013, 04:39:29 pm »

Process plants produces thread. Process plants to bag produces leaves, same as vanilla.
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

masterdiscord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: August 14, 2013, 05:00:43 pm »

Yes, it says as much in the Workshop, but thanks anyway. The problem is I can't determine which labor is used for that. I set one dorf with all the labors enabled and I guess I'll see what he learns, or if he'll even go do that job.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 165