Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201423 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2013, 01:31:12 am »

@TheRingsofAggression: There are no berserkers.  ???

@Impedocles: I wouldnt take skilled troops for golems. Golems have natural fighting skills anyway, so grunts are fine. Or useless migrants. Mages are different, they will stay dwarves, doing labor and all that. Mage spells work the same, regardless of skill.

@Yisin: Didnt change dumping.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

TheRingsofAggression

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2013, 03:15:00 am »

Dun dun duuuuunnnnn.....

Weird. Right now the berserker is continually strangling a mason (having done so for an annoying length of time), to no avail. Maxed his wrestler and fighter out though.

So as an update, he was put into the military and assigned as the number 2 of my archer squad (seeing as he couldn't be made a noble, and thusly a sergeant). After repeatedly attempting to get equipment and canceling due to seeing any of my fort's citizens, i decided to have him just station out in the middle of nowhere. Apparently, this was a terrible idea, because soon after the station order, he began berserking, which would throw him over to the hostile screen when looking at my dwarves. Oddly, it was after he stopped berserking and went back to being a citizen of my fort that he went on his murderous rampage. Once he had picked off a few too many of my bloated workforce, i figured i should gather my ragtag military and rush him. But, he was a citizen and untargetable.

Frustrated, i just had them all station together to cause some sort of interaction that might end in their self defense kicking in and eventually overwhelming him in numbers. However, his +8 dodge and 'amazingly agile, unbelievably strong, basically unbreakable, possessed of amazing recuperative powers, and indefatigable' physical stats were far too much for any band of peasants to even dream of fighting. He kited and killed them all. Thankfully i was cautious enough to send my commander and sergeant inside before trying this, and have something of a defense still.

So, after a that, and the unfortunate 14-man troglodyte ambush that spawned from a poorly overseen exploratory up/down stairshaft, my base was wiped all except for Gakit Shipnight the Masteries of Medicine, the dwarf Ranger Berserker, and the poor Bomrek Roadsaved, the dwarf Mason (whom the berserker had been strangling for about a week by then). Migrants spawned eventually, ending with a peasant with the healer caste tag. Naturally, I make this guy my chief medical dwarf. A small error occurred when (after repeated 'recover wounded' jobs failed, due to the berserker) my Chief went to go diagnose the mason or something, and now just sits about 10 tiles away from the berserker (who's still strangling the guy) with 'no job', even though i have assigned him and only him many a thing to do.

Gakit Shipnight has the appearance of somebody that is sixty-nine years old and is one of the first of his kind. He was the former member of six forts, being the mayor of one and a 'holy glitter' of another. He has a dead wife and son, worships three gods, and has amazing mental stats to couple with his amazing physical stats. He has leader and military tactics at novice.

I'm assuming he's a vampire, though like none I have ever seen. Some sort of god maybe. The problem appears to be something in the faction tags, as combat logs are blue for both sides when he's murdering fellow dwarves.

Honestly, as entertaining as this has been,  it's kinda getting in the way of my plans of running a fortress. This may be the wrong place to ask, but what would be a good way to get around this?

And sorry about the wall of text. Just trying to be thorough. Oh, and I very recently downloaded Mastercraft, and am using the client with the spiffy new therapist (super awesome, btw).

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2013, 03:22:17 am »

But there are no berserkers. I dont even know what exactly you are talking about. There WAS a bersker caste, which has been removed, but even they didnt attack civ members, they simply had prone to rage against normal enemies. Thats it.

Can you post a screen of the guy? Is he actually called "name surname, profession berserker"?

I didnt mod anything in for people that randomly go berserk for a few ticks and then go back to normal... yes, there are poisons that can do that, but not just like that, not without any cause...
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

TheRingsofAggression

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2013, 03:36:52 am »

Might be a remnant of code interacting with Dwarf Fortress mystical complexities....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thank you for the quick responses.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2013, 04:00:50 am »

Found it.

Its a curse. A random creature can find a slab teaching the secrets of wizardry, either in worldgen or adv. mode, and this wizard can curse people and turn them into berserkers. Its part of WizardTower/Dwar fChocolate, written by SethCrieyd, a mod I added. This is rare, your migrant must have been cursed in worldgen.

This is the bonus he gets:

TheRingsofAggression

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2013, 04:20:28 am »

Whoa. Kinda want to find that slab...

Thank you for solving the mystery of Traitor of Crystalwired, hopefully I'll never have to deal with that again.

And incredibly anti-climatically, he was struck down by a forest spider. So much wasted potential...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2013, 04:57:15 am »

People had all kinds of stuff with this. Some even reported a geomancer and similar wizards appearing as migrants. You know, the migrant was a guy in worldgen who found the slab and learned the secret. You can even have friendly necromancers migrating to your fort. :)

Impedocles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2013, 06:38:49 pm »

Another golem question: I found that my golems were obeying civilian alerts and returning to the safe burrow, even when they were given station or kill orders.  I had to leave the civilians free to move around in order to get the golems to attack, which got a bunch of my civilians killed.  One possible factor was that the human squad leader had died, so the golem squad was leaderless.  Can you explain that?

Impedocles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2013, 02:02:58 pm »

I think I figured out how to get around that issue: put the migrants into their own burrow before turning them into golems, and set that to cover the whole map.  Then change civilian burrows manually rather than use the military alert system.  That got them to act right.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2013, 07:59:04 pm »

How good a material is iridium for cutting weapons? I want to forge a few iridium swords for my militia officers, and the manual in the launcher isn't a whole lot of help besides "Epic". Wiki doesn't have it either :(
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2013, 08:00:30 pm »

Iridium is no longer on wiki because it was removed in the recent MDF update.  Until then it was epic :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2013, 08:00:53 pm »

StLeibowitz: Iridium doesnt exist. Where did you get that name from, an older version ? I replaced it with orichalcum, which can be found in here http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Metal

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2013, 08:08:17 pm »

Huh. I guess my version must be an older one, then. How epic was it before its removal?
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2013, 08:23:46 pm »

3rd best for cutting/armor after a'tine and bifrost.  Density a little less than iron

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2013, 09:19:45 pm »

...That was copy+pasted from my iridium (the comment after the token gives it away), then had every individual material property changed? That's weird :P
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 165