Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201711 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #540 on: July 27, 2013, 01:08:17 am »

Also, dont know if it means anything but in his bio it says this.

That shows up on any creature that was born before the world started. It shows up about 100% of the time on 50-year gens.

Are you sure of that Putnam? From my experience that person is a (spoilers in the spoiler tag)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It definitely does not mean that. Any dwarf who is older than the world was spawned at the same time as the world was, but if you have a short world gen, it wouldn't be much fun to only have 5-year-old dwarfs walking around, so the game makes them "appear" to be a more normal age, adding that they are "one of the first of its kind" to explain how they are older than the world itself.

Check your other dwarfs. Anyone older than the world will have this yellow text.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: July 27, 2013, 01:25:32 am »

whatever happened to the caste system?  I don't see to see any option for it in the settings gui.  I've been playing 3c for a while, I think I have 1 dwarf out of 100 that is part of caste.  Is it an always on option?  Have castes been reduced?

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: July 27, 2013, 02:09:45 am »

The caste system has been switched to a guild system.  They are much more rare to show up in your fort, but you can build a Guildhall and have your dwarfs join a particular guild for the low cost of 500 gold coins.  The guild members get the same types of bonuses as the castes did.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: July 27, 2013, 04:02:05 am »

Megabeasts?

been playing about 8 ingame years and no megabeasts.  All default gui options.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #544 on: July 27, 2013, 04:33:48 am »

@thistleknot: No problem with megabeasts, its world dependant. Changes with each worldgen. Caste system is removed, new one allows direct control, but rarely shows naturally.

@anth: The guy has adventured in worldgen and found a sage-slab. He is "harmless" as so far that he wont attack you, he is a mage. Just take care of friendly fire. Its very rare, some time ago someone reported a "geomancer", another secret that a dwarf can learn in a world with a long history. Essentially, the guy has either been cursed or found a slab or read a magic book. Keep him. :)

@firons2: Mostly inorganics, weird maze-like caverns, way less caves and megabeasts.. and thats it.

@sappho: What do you mean? Did you toggle True-Type, by pressing F12? I have no idea about gender symbols in ascii, I never played DF that way.

@tabris: Early booze: Take a lot of plants at embark... buy boozebelly goats or dewbeetles for mead... or just use a well. ;) Dog => Shaggy Badgerdog. :)

@Mechlin: It only means that they might hang around the meeting area and learn social skills... nothing else about these sluaghs. But I might up the pet-value... many wild animals not intended as pets have no value set...

@Niveras: Embark points fluctuate, and whats available at a location as well. Its pretty random, and currently a design oversight of DF seems to delete my pet-selection for the saved profiles. -.-
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: July 27, 2013, 06:32:47 am »

Ah, so Billy Jack was right about that when he pointed it out. I didn't know that was the case. (Well, I knew access to materials depends on location/what civ you're coming from, but not that embark points fluctuate beyond the world gen setting.)

Also, I hope no one minds, but reposting two two questions I asked a few days ago that I wasn't able to find the answers to:

Is there any known issue with seeded farm plots becoming unseeded randomly?

Not 100% sure if this is a masterwork or vanilla issue. I haven't done the due diligence but I think it might be related to discovering the caverns and causing cavern flora to spawn in empty underground soil, even though I would think it shouldn't since these tiles are covered by the farm so it should prevent anything from trying to spawn. Or maybe it's just random vermin somehow eating the seed from the plot, though I doubt that as well.

Anyone happen to know why this happens?

Also, is green glass still magma safe? I assume so since vanilla glass is hard coded, not in the raw files, but I wasn't sure if maybe DFHack did anything to it or if the glass industry was re-done entirely by masterwork.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #546 on: July 27, 2013, 07:07:44 am »

Glass is hardcoded, so yes, it is magmaproof.

Farmplots cannot become "unseeded", but if you plant a plant in autumn and it cant grow in winter, and before the plant is fully grown winter engulfs you... then the plant dies, and the seed is lost.

Example: You plant surface plant, which needs 1 season to grow in spring. It is active in spring, summer and autumn. It will be fully grown in summer, and you harvest it. All good. If you plant the same plant in autumn, it would be fully grown in winter, but it does not have the active_season:winter tag, and will die.

All underground plants have all seasons active, all aboveground plants have all seasons but winter active. Only plant them in spring/summer though, otherwise you lose them.

The flora&fauna plants, which are the "more plants" in the GUI, I did not write and cant say anything about. I assume they also dont grow in winter.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #547 on: July 27, 2013, 08:23:59 am »

OK, hitting F12 made the gender icons show. I didn't realize I could do that. Apparently in the Masterwork font, the gender symbols have both been replaced by an asterisk, so there's no way to tell what gender an animal is on embark. I meant to bring 1 male cat and 2 females, but I couldn't tell which was which, so I guessed and got it wrong. : / At least I know for the future that I can hit that button and fix it.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: July 27, 2013, 08:31:22 am »

It's certainly not a case of the plants withering because they're now out of season: they're all standard underground plants. The seeds just vanish, it seems. The tile goes from a "planted seed" to furrowed (that is, the tile after a farm plot is constructed but before a seed is planted), and the plot only lists the number of seeds as there are seeded plots. The empty plots are randomly positioned, and dwarves just don't skip farm plots like that unless the underlying tile can't be planted at all (which is not the case here, and regardless I am 100% certain they were previously seeded). The tiles are underground soil as opposed to muddied stone floor, so it's also not a case of the tile being harvested but now being unplantable because the pile of mud got cleaned or pushed around by water.

Almost if not all of them were planted in the first spring, maybe a few in early summer, and it has not yet been a year for any of the planets to be harvested yet.

I guess I shouldn't say that the plot is unseeded necessarily but that the seed disappears. Can planted seeds be consumed/rotted by vermin? Trampled? I wouldn't think so, but like I said before I haven't done the due diligence to know for sure exactly when it happens or why.

I can upload a screenshot or save if it may help.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #549 on: July 27, 2013, 09:45:48 am »

Sappho: The gender symbols should be fine, I play with TrueType all the time. The asterix sounds like an old version, maybe the backup that the Settings.exe puts back in place is not updated? I'll have a look. I guess you toggled from MasterworkFont to VanillaFont and back, and I simply did not update it when I fixed the gender symbols in the font. I know the default settings has it, no problem.

Niveras: Mh. No idea. I never heard about anything like this. It cant be mod-related, because I cant mod any of this behaviour, its hardcoded. Vermin cant eat the seeds either, because they are inside the workshop/farmplot. That must be a vanilla bug, but I also never saw it in the bug tracker...

Anth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: July 27, 2013, 10:08:18 am »

Thanks for all the help guys. 2 more questions though, what would you do with a dragonfire spitting sage that HATES all pets? I also noticed that when he turns creatures into red dragons they seem friendly, only the sage attacks them. 2nd question is I noticed that depending on where I embark in the world the traders will either sell dragon raptors or dragons. Never both at the same time. What would be the best way to ensure the elves and drow sell dragons?

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: July 27, 2013, 10:11:43 am »

dwarves just don't skip farm plots like that unless the underlying tile can't be planted at all

That's not entirely true. If you have any hauling taking place with your seed bag/barrel your dwarves will decide while trying to plant a particular tile that they don't have seeds for it, and when the hauling stops they plant the next one. Much later they'll go back and fill in the gaps.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 27, 2013, 10:22:53 am »

Also, dont know if it means anything but in his bio it says this.

That shows up on any creature that was born before the world started. It shows up about 100% of the time on 50-year gens.

Are you sure of that Putnam? From my experience that person is a (spoilers in the spoiler tag)

It definitely does not mean that. Any dwarf who is older than the world was spawned at the same time as the world was, but if you have a short world gen, it wouldn't be much fun to only have 5-year-old dwarfs walking around, so the game makes them "appear" to be a more normal age, adding that they are "one of the first of its kind" to explain how they are older than the world itself.

Check your other dwarfs. Anyone older than the world will have this yellow text.

Ah I see... I don't often get people older than my world (probably because I enjoy playing on worlds that are in the range of thousands of years old, don't ask me why I just do) So when I see that text (minus the "first of his kind" part) i'm use to them being
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: July 27, 2013, 04:09:55 pm »

Those guys don't have the "appearance" text, though, they say that they are of that age, I'm pretty sure.

Tabris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: July 27, 2013, 11:32:23 pm »

I'm trying to make a sawmill here and it says i need a sawblade. I made both iron and rock sawblades but it still gives me the same message. What the problem can be?
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 165