Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201753 times)

Tabris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #510 on: July 25, 2013, 12:30:12 am »

Ok... I'm a complet noob with MW and went to play but noticed it's recommended that i use the second option when creating a world, i never used advanced parameters before so i went to see what was waiting for me and it seems to be a list of the pre-generated worlds listed in the manual, does that mean that ideally MW should be paid in one of those worlds or one of those is some kind of special script for world creation?
You should use one of those pregen worlds. Otherwise you can try running perfect world (a separate program included in MW) to try to create a world that suites you. The point is just not to try to generate a world in the normal way.
Ok... I was going to use Gaia but i got a dwarven civ with no dogs two times in a roll, going to use perfect world them.

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 25, 2013, 01:18:52 am »

I noticed farming is a bit more (disturbingly more) difficult and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how farming works compared to normal dwarf fortress (besides being more difficult.)
Everything takes longer to grow and therefore needs more space to be productive.

Above ground crops take one full season, so only plant in Spring and Summer. Anything planted in Autumn will wither and die before they can be harvested.
Below ground crops take a full year, but can still be planted in all seasons.
Trees, Steeloaks, Ironbarks, and Fungiwood also take a full year but can be planted in any season.

So get the above ground crops in ASAP.  I plant the 3 sets of berries in the first Spring and then set Rope Reeds, Rat Weed, and Blade Weeds in the Summer. If you can quickly get the berries to the still, then you could plant them again as well.

Get your below ground crops in as soon as you can, because of the long growth time.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Tabris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 25, 2013, 02:03:58 am »

Ok, got some perfect world tutorials and went to try it.

What values should i use as base in the parameters? PW default values or something for one of the pre-gens?

EDIT: It seems that when i generate a Garden of Gaia world throught the game itself there is always only a single Dwarf Civ always called the Padded Steam (or somethign similar) is this as intended?

I'm trying to have a a start with a civ that will have all the animals from the Easy Start embark profile but it seems all the time i generate a nwew world i get the same civ. I'm considering using other maps but i would like a more diverse world. Tried the Sandbox one but couldn't find a start with all the races present.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 02:22:19 am by Tabris »

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 25, 2013, 04:29:20 am »

What is the primary purpose of saplings? At first I thought they were used to grow trees but from what I can gather it seems more like they just house various substances inside of them that you extract somehow. So I guess there's no way to grow a tree farm?

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 25, 2013, 05:20:30 am »

I'm trying to have a a start with a civ that will have all the animals from the Easy Start embark profile but it seems all the time i generate a nwew world i get the same civ. I'm considering using other maps but i would like a more diverse world. Tried the Sandbox one but couldn't find a start with all the races present.

Sandbox is unique -- use any other.
It’s hard to go wrong with one of the pre-gen’d worlds.  I tried to duplicate what you described above and couldn’t.  There is a bit of luck-o’-the-draw/roll-o’-the binary dice but overall, pretty much everything works.  I was able to “problem” gen an ice world where plants were difficult, that’s about it.  Every non-starter’s world has potentially every race; whether or not they are all present is a function of biome (check w/ tab), much like “hey, look, the Orcs have already declared war on us – on four-fifths of this map.”  Starter’s world gives a lot of embark points to play with but the Embark Shopping Mall is pretty much the same on all worlds and the “quality” of the starting seven doesn’t vary much, either.  Any world can be gen’d with a higher number of embark points (cheaters!) and the megabeast generator can be tweaked to increase or decrease that type of fun.  Dogs, mastiffs, and badgerdogs all seem to be available on every world gen template.  After one game, tops, you’ll never use Starter’s World again, anyhow.  Even a small island with no other civs but dwarves to visit still has the standard Embark Shopping List. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
« Reply #515 on: July 25, 2013, 07:09:00 am »

Where are the altered seasonal announcements stored? Search does not seem to be able to find them.
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

Tabris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 25, 2013, 11:41:43 am »

Ok, i generated a new Garden of Gaia world, yet again the only dwarf civ is the Padded Seam (not Steam like i said before), tried to embark with the easy start profile and while it doesn't give me a list of stuff missing there is a lot of embark points. The list of animals includes mastiffs and ironclad dogs but not normal dogs. It also doesn't include cats or roosters, it's always that way when a generate a world.

Here is a link to a image where you can see the prepare to embark screen with the full list of available animals: http://i.imgur.com/w9PdAEj.jpg

I'm considering embarking with mastiffs instead of dogs, frill lizards instead of cats and cave tortoises instead of chicken, should it be about the as good a start as the normal "easy start" profile? It's my first palying MW and i don't want to make things too hard on me.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 25, 2013, 11:49:39 am »

Ok, i generated a new Garden of Gaia world, yet again the only dwarf civ is the Padded Seam (not Steam like i said before), tried to embark with the easy start profile and while it doesn't give me a list of stuff missing there is a lot of embark points. The list of animals includes mastiffs and ironclad dogs but not normal dogs. It also doesn't include cats or roosters, it's always that way when a generate a world.

Here is a link to a image where you can see the prepare to embark screen with the full list of available animals: http://i.imgur.com/w9PdAEj.jpg

I'm considering embarking with mastiffs instead of dogs, frill lizards instead of cats and cave tortoises instead of chicken, should it be about the as good a start as the normal "easy start" profile? It's my first palying MW and i don't want to make things too hard on me.

Uhmm, not 100% sure, but I think Meph removed standard dogs and cats from dwarves, only the special pets are avaliable. At least there was a poll about a while back.

cdombroski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 25, 2013, 11:53:42 am »

I seem to recall that in 3c Gardens of Gaia had a non-random seed and so would produce the same map every time. Pressing S before generating the world (on the screen where you select the preset (gaia, starter's, ...)) should allow you to generate something slightly different. Note that the basic geography will be the same, but names, rivers, volcanoes and probably other things will be different.

Also, also I think 3d no longer has normal/surface animals for dwarven pets, so yes, you should look for dwarfish replacements for them.

Tabris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 25, 2013, 12:15:25 pm »

Uhmm, not 100% sure, but I think Meph removed standard dogs and cats from dwarves, only the special pets are avaliable. At least there was a poll about a while back.
If that's true them it would make much more sense, he just needs to update the embark profiles them.

EDIT: Another thing i noticed is how hard it is to find a place with flux stone in the embark screen. Is this bugged somehow or is the flux really this rare?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 12:24:01 pm by Tabris »

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 25, 2013, 01:47:30 pm »

Prepare To Embark Carefully, just as in vanilla. 

The priorities are a bit different in Masterwork (the Wiki pages Quickstart/Embark Carefully won't discuss Scribes, for instance).  If you choose one of Meph's quick sets, that just how it is.  Embark carefully, take a few moments and pick whatever you want.  Flux is more common than you might think, DFHack Prospect before embark is still a good idea even if the Crematorium can make bone-flux, whatever.  I want at least one reasonable level of flux but I almost always choose running water/sedimentary w/ clay so it's no biggie (no one needs clay but asking for it in the Search brings sand and at least some soil, easy diggings).  If it's your first MW, Embark Carefully is a lot easier than using a pre-set template. 

Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Tabris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 25, 2013, 02:11:44 pm »

The priorities are a bit different in Masterwork (the Wiki pages Quickstart/Embark Carefully won't discuss Scribes, for instance).  If you choose one of Meph's quick sets, that just how it is.  Embark carefully, take a few moments and pick whatever you want.  Flux is more common than you might think, DFHack Prospect before embark is still a good idea even if the Crematorium can make bone-flux, whatever.  I want at least one reasonable level of flux but I almost always choose running water/sedimentary w/ clay so it's no biggie (no one needs clay but asking for it in the Search brings sand and at least some soil, easy diggings).  If it's your first MW, Embark Carefully is a lot easier than using a pre-set template.
This is rather weird actually. Did as i said before and embarked with the easy start but with lizards and cave turtoises. First embark my miners died of suffocaiton, probably because they were mining coal so i started again.

In the second embark all my miners died at once of thrist even thought i still had lots of booze in the wagon, so i'm trying a third time now.

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 25, 2013, 03:05:51 pm »

This is rather weird actually. Did as i said before and embarked with the easy start but with lizards and cave turtoises. First embark my miners died of suffocaiton, probably because they were mining coal so i started again.

In the second embark all my miners died at once of thrist even thought i still had lots of booze in the wagon, so i'm trying a third time now.

The suffocation, depends. If you have 'harder mining' on in the launcher GUI, it very likely was that.

if you embarked in an 'evil' biome (should say sinster, terrifying, etc, in the 'savagery' area when you're look at an embark), and it's raining odd rain (repugnant mucus, etc) - that can cause various syndromes that can suffocate you to death. Same thing for clouds like a 'Cloud of Infernal ash'.

The thirst is also possible from rain or similar if they were unconcious (flashing white X over them). Further, they may not have access to the barrels - you might have dug down and not had stairs leading up to the drinks, or various issues. We'd need to see a screenshot of the area to really give input. Too many possibilities.

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 25, 2013, 03:28:35 pm »

Regarding embark points, the value specified in world gen is the minimum.  There is a chance that you will receive up to 500 more points. At least, that's been my experience.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 25, 2013, 05:06:33 pm »

I don't know if that's exactly what's happening, but I know that on some rare occasions I'll set up a new embark template, save it, but when I inevitably decide to abandon and restart in a different location (same world so same basic embark points setting), the new embark suddenly won't be able to afford everything that I had brought with me in first setting up and saving the template.

But I can only distinctly recall it "happening" once, and I probably wasn't playing MW at the time, and it also possible that my memory is just completely faulty and something else changed between the two embarks to cause that deficit.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 165