Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201789 times)

vaderflag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #495 on: July 23, 2013, 02:22:45 pm »

Let's say I want dwarven offspring to stay babies until age 5 and then children until age 13.
I'm seeing some peculiar behavior when editing the raws, and I wonder whether it is related to dwarven castes.

In creature_standard.txt (line 588), I changed the year cutoffs from 1 & 6 to 5 & 13 thusly:

[BABY:5]
[GENERAL_BABY_NAME:dwarven baby:dwarven babies]
[BABYNAME:dwarven baby:dwarven babies]
[CHILD:13]
[GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:dwarven child:dwarven children]
[CHILDNAME:dwarven child:dwarven children]

Later (line 1141) there is a similar section, but there is no CHILD tag present here, why not? How would this influence babies who get drafted into a caste?

[BABY:5]
[GENERAL_BABY_NAME:dwarven baby:dwarven babies]
[BABYNAME:dwarven baby:dwarven babies]
[GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:dwarven child:dwarven children]
[CHILDNAME:dwarven child:dwarven children]

The reason I ask is that, with these 3 alterations, I had a family emigrate, with a 4-year-old baby who is walking around and feeding himself. I'll find out in a while whether at age 5 she grows up, but this is peculiar. Why would simply changing their maturation age influence this? Does the lack of a CHILD tag make this baby both a baby and child at the same time? If so, should I kill this monstrosity with some upright weapon traps ASAP, or let it grow to become the next Baron?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #496 on: July 23, 2013, 09:42:42 pm »

Mh.. that seems to be a duplicate in the creature_standard.txt. Which tileset are you using? I dont think it should cause any ill effect, but I'll remove it just to be sure.

Silentdeth: Now that you say it that way, no idea why you should make scarecrows. I can tell you why it is like it is: The spawning system was different before and did not require any sprites. You could just spawn a scarecrow. But it was unrelyable and only spawned "friendly" scarecrows that you couldnt move/pasture.

Maybe I should make them "scarecrow men" that can move and fight. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 23, 2013, 10:23:31 pm »

From someone who just watched "Oz, the Great and Powerful", No.  Just no.

Tinmen would be more like it, now that I think about it.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 24, 2013, 07:09:53 am »

Silentdeth: Now that you say it that way, no idea why you should make scarecrows. [clip]

Scarecrows are very inexpensive at embark: half the price of a kitten.  An animated scarecrow is pretty useless but if they would sound some sort of an alarm when firebirds are sighted, that’d be good.  And appropriate.  A half-dozen or so scarecrows scattered around on the surface are a reasonable investment for the first couple of years until defenses are set. 

Even a stray fox rates an in-game warning of “Chase it away!”  Firebirds come out of nowhere and stealthily raze the surface unless you happen to see the (silent) smoke. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

vaderflag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 24, 2013, 08:36:28 am »

Mh.. that seems to be a duplicate in the creature_standard.txt. Which tileset are you using?

This is under the new tileset ("Matrix")

crazyjake56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: July 24, 2013, 10:13:36 am »

I'm creating an embark and I can't seem to find which skill is woodcutter.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #501 on: July 24, 2013, 10:46:07 am »

Woodcutter => Lumberjack. Second skill in the list.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 24, 2013, 12:55:45 pm »

Tried a fort in the flank of a mountain, wilderness, small trees, nothing special.
I was in the first winter, in the process of building the workshops, (and panicking about a soon-to be water problem), with around 13 dwarves, when suddenly... centaurs. Thousands of thems. Well, 4, actually. They rushed straight into my fort, and slaughtered everyone. My 3 man squad of random dudes with wooden weapon got literally crushed, and they then proceeded to kill everything and everyone.

I have crossed centaurs before, and never had problem with them, as long as i didn't attacked them.

I just had 2/3 guys outside, cutting wood and gathering plants. They went unharmed, so the centaurs weren't after them. They just rushed inside the main corridor, hunting everyone one, 20 z-level deeps in the workshops, stockpiles, they even "felt" a guy accross my in-construction military complex, rushed through the tunnels, and killed a mason against the archery target he was installing.

Are they supposed to be so aggressives?
They weren't the fortress mod kind, i don't even have it activated, and didn't get an ambush message. They were just wild donkey-mens who decided to go FB mode.

How i am supposed to fight back against this, or similar threats, in early fort? I need the ressources outside, barricading with 10 dwarves isn't really an option.

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
« Reply #503 on: July 24, 2013, 01:03:01 pm »

Line of sight is needed, otherwise an interaction with 25 range would go through 25 solid tiles, reaching even the miners in a mineshaft far away. I think line-of-sight makes more sense, at the very least for the music. The blessings are contagious enough to effect every dwarf anyway, they use the same model of interaction I use for the old diseases, and people always reported that the entire fort is affected in no time.

You think line of sight makes sense for sound? Is there a reason why I would not want my miners to have 25% more speed? No hunger? Not to strangle each other? No fear? Attribute bonus? So for the anti-tantrum thing to work the guy has to be tantruming in sight of the tavern? About the only thing that I might not want to be line of sight is raise from the dead, and that is iffy as it is kind of a oh sh@#! button anyway.

The blessings are contagious enough to effect every dwarf anyway, they use the same model of interaction I use for the old diseases, and people always reported that the entire fort is affected in no time.
It only affected 3 people out of more than 200 the first time I used it. It has not affected anyone at all in any of the repeated attempts, of which there have been a dozen or so. Does disease resistance effect it or something like that?

Unrelated:
What affects the quality of the stuff returned from expeditions, ect? i.e. does the quality/material of things that go to make the gear kits matter? Masterwork weapons or rusty iron crap I have laying around? Does the quality of the kits themselves matter?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 02:38:22 pm by silentdeth »
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 24, 2013, 04:24:30 pm »

Quality of reagents has no bearing in reaction speed or outcome, except you can only set it so that it will keep quality of one of the reagents used.

pedrousz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 24, 2013, 05:45:44 pm »

can I play masterworking ignoring (but not debilitating) the new workshops? I mean, the new workshops are necessary to run the fortress or I can live with the same builds from DF?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #506 on: July 24, 2013, 09:23:56 pm »

Silentdeth: Line of sight makes sense as I only have two options: Anything in range, or line of sight. Cant do "soundwaves" that travel further in open space and are blocked/dampened by solid material. And I wont transfer a tavern song through 20floors of solid rock, doesnt feel right.

I'll have a look at the blessing, those I can do without line of sight, if they really wont transfer that well.

Expedition loot depends on the Diplomacy/Ambassador skill. The higher the skill, the better quality the loot. A good diplomat knows which mercenaries to hire. ;)

pedrousz: You can ignore all of them, with one change: Soap is made in the chemist. If you dislike this, you can also enable the old soapmaker, its in the settings.exe under "Misc". Otherwise all vanilla functionality is still there, no need for the new stuff if you dont want it.

Tabris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 24, 2013, 10:50:58 pm »

Ok... I'm a complet noob with MW and went to play but noticed it's recommended that i use the second option when creating a world, i never used advanced parameters before so i went to see what was waiting for me and it seems to be a list of the pre-generated worlds listed in the manual, does that mean that ideally MW should be paid in one of those worlds or one of those is some kind of special script for world creation?

EDIT: Sorry didn't see the other thread about that.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 11:50:05 pm by Tabris »

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: July 24, 2013, 11:00:22 pm »

Ok... I'm a complet noob with MW and went to play but noticed it's recommended that i use the second option when creating a world, i never used advanced parameters before so i went to see what was waiting for me and it seems to be a list of the pre-generated worlds listed in the manual, does that mean that ideally MW should be paid in one of those worlds or one of those is some kind of special script for world creation?
You should use one of those pregen worlds. Otherwise you can try running perfect world (a separate program included in MW) to try to create a world that suites you. The point is just not to try to generate a world in the normal way.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

crazyjake56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 24, 2013, 11:02:02 pm »

I noticed farming is a bit more (disturbingly more) difficult and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how farming works compared to normal dwarf fortress (besides being more difficult.)
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 165