Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201830 times)

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #465 on: July 10, 2013, 05:10:01 pm »

What were their jobs? Did you have them going outside the fort to grab stuff?

I lost 3 dwarves to a crazy number of snatches and thieves that I got over the course of a single year, all three were missing until I hunted down their bodies in the random corner of the map they had no reason to be, with one being pushed into the nearby volcano as far as I can tell.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: July 11, 2013, 12:17:13 am »

So, here's the thing... three of my dwarves disappeared. Usually, I'd blame vampire... but there are no corpses. No blood. No combat reports. Nothing in my magma pool. They're just gone. ("missing" in "u"nit list).

Can you be sure they were wearing anything that would show up in the magma pool?  maybe they fell in and were completely destroyed...
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Thom293

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 12, 2013, 10:35:06 pm »

Somehow, it seems I have created a world without gems.  I did nothing special in world-gen.  I started with "simple gems" option, but none of the new gem buildings, if that helps.  My fortress is pretty far along, but I have lost 4 dwarves to failed moods because I dont have any rough gems.  No traders have them, and prospect shows none on my whole map. 

Ive tried "createitem" with dfhack, but either Im not doing something correctly, or I am an idiot.  Possibly both.

Could someone suggest a way to add some in?  or delete that requirement from moods?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 11:12:46 pm by Thom293 »

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 12, 2013, 11:15:59 pm »

Could someone suggest a way to add some in?  or delete that requirement from moods?

The DFHack "jobs" command is capable of changing what items a mood (or any other job, really) requires.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 13, 2013, 05:40:41 am »

Somehow, it seems I have created a world without gems.  [clip]

Really?  I’ve gen’d a number of peculiar worlds but never one without any gems.  Prospect is pretty vague; have you used reveal.exe to actually confirm there are no gems?  Initially, I was disappointed that MW removes gems from the Dwarven Wish List; I like the gem windows (my fortresses are kaleidoscopes on every level) but to get the best graphics one must use Phoebus and then microcline isn’t as pretty (imo) but Meph accounted for that with the brick oven.  A jeweler will cut any stone and Light Violet bricks are magenta, something lacking in vanilla (and somebody thought that was enough of an oversight that it’s specifically mentioned as an omission on the Wiki page Stones in the section on colors).  DFHack changeitem m can turn “anything into anything else” with force, “anything to anything else in the same category” even without force.  So set a glass forge to make green glass, turn it into whatever for your gemcutter.  If you want the value without cheating, scrunch coal into diamonds at the screw press.
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 14, 2013, 03:39:12 pm »

How do I make a mortar and pestle so I can make a chemistry lab, so I can make soap?

nevermind, queued it via manager, showed up in craftsdwarf shop
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 04:03:06 pm by thistleknot »

Temon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 14, 2013, 04:31:32 pm »

Where do you Place slag in the storage? I have a storage that allows everything, but it is still piling up at my smelters.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 14, 2013, 05:56:07 pm »

slag can't be stockpiled, the only way to get rid of it is the slagpit. Build a few close to your smelters.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 14, 2013, 10:05:33 pm »

Is it wrong for me to deconstruct my trade depot's when I know "Winter is coming" and I have no drink supplies (let alone food supplies?)... it's funny, I have a great biome, except there's winter... my grass never dies off (didn't know weather had an effect on this) which doesn't lead to dead livestock, but for some reason, this game, I'm having a hard time producing booze and getting a good meat supply.

So twice, I raided the trade depot.

I have 1 fishery, I have my hunting industry up.  I gather plants, and have at least 3 3x9 plots of plump helmets year round (plus cave wheat... do I need to process cave wheat?  I don't think I do) and I'm running low on about my 2nd (or 3rd year) of booze/meat.

I'm an experienced dwarfer,  just this one has hit me with a surprised, I haven't played in about 3 months though, that may be the reason, but I thought I headed everything off at the pass before it became a problem.  At one time I had 60 booze... I'm trying to regather from the landscape when I have opportunity, but i'm fearing my farming isn't effective enough to resupply my beer stock.

The food though, i'm wondering what's going on with the hunter's...  cuz I do see animals randomly running across the screen, and occasionally something dumped into the refuse pile next to the butcher/tanner/kitchen workshops, but don't see a lot of meat, I'm LITERALLY BUTCHERING ANIMALS to maintain meat supply this winter (which may be my 2nd to last)

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 15, 2013, 02:33:06 am »

I don't know about the meat issues, but your plant supply is low because you have harder farming on, so underground crops take a year to grow, and not a season as in vanilla. You need about 4 times bigger plots to compensate, plus you should consider setting up a potash industry: creamatory next to your refuse pile ->ash + slagpit -> steady potash suppy.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 15, 2013, 08:35:23 am »

I'm having a hard time producing booze and getting a good meat supply.

Yeah, I embark with fisherberry seeds or whatever available for 1 Dwarfbuck and get plots started topside the moment we strike the earth.  You can lay in a decent amount of booze by your first winter that way (I embark with one dwarf at max Farming), but really need to be on the ball for topside defense against wildlife.  If you go with underground crops it just takes a long time (year) for it to kick in, once it does you're golden.  Use topside crops to buy that time.  I also embark with a lot of meat to start with, compared to my vanilla embarks.  Relying on wildlife for early meat is a lot sketchier in MWDF.

Gathering plants is rough in MWDF - you need to embark with someone strong in gathering if you want to make it work.  If you try to gather with 0-skill dwarves, they barely yield anything and they don't level fast enough until you get them in the Farmer caste.  The deadlier wildlife in MWDF is another minus on having gatherers (and haulers) roaming around the map.  And the skill points you put into Plant Gathering could just as easily go into more barrels of booze...
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 15, 2013, 09:29:49 pm »

wow, those castes... glad I got Masterwork's DF to help with that (it bumps up a dwarf's skill ranking when calculating their fit for a role position)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: July 15, 2013, 09:58:31 pm »

Unidentified miasma sources?

I have a few areas (in my hospital).  Make a long story short, miasma everywhere.  I removed all the dead people yet I still see miasma, no dead people or rotting items... any ideas... maybe I'm missing something.

does processed chittin armor rot?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 10:11:19 pm by thistleknot »

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 15, 2013, 10:39:01 pm »

Have you had any warlocks visit?
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 15, 2013, 11:21:41 pm »

Yes... :-[

Does that mean I can't cure it?  I guess I could manage it with floor grates, or outside hospitals/barracks with floor grates...

Is it just the people who are affected, or the equipment as well (I'm guessing the equipment is dropped equipment.

No wonder they were starving, no one wanted to help them...

ahh... nevermind, had to abandon due to a mess up with an underground well... damn...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 09:15:45 am by thistleknot »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 165