Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201598 times)

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #2055 on: February 15, 2014, 05:01:32 am »

Is there any guide that shows what each research is used for? Most of the research is pretty simple in whats its for, but the rest is rather vague.

not entirely correct on what you require for the research, but answers your question
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Researcher's_study

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: February 15, 2014, 07:21:27 am »

Um.. What labour is suppose to extract adamantine strands in the craftsdwarfs workshop? Right now a dwarf with only metalcrafting and furnace operating is doing it. Is this right?

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: February 15, 2014, 11:55:07 am »

I'm pretty sure it's praying/apostle of armok.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2058 on: February 15, 2014, 12:08:43 pm »

the vanilla reaction "extract metal strands" uses praying. I cant change that. But I put one in for each type, adamantine, silver, mithril, gold... and they use metalcraft. I thought thats more fitting to making metal strands and clothing.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: February 15, 2014, 01:15:51 pm »

the vanilla reaction "extract metal strands" uses praying. I cant change that. But I put one in for each type, adamantine, silver, mithril, gold... and they use metalcraft. I thought thats more fitting to making metal strands and clothing.

Awsome

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: February 15, 2014, 03:42:38 pm »

What's a 'guard'? I sometimes find them, looking like bodyparts, with *Person name's guard*  as title.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: February 15, 2014, 04:17:41 pm »

I think they're parts of animated weapons. Do you have any of those?
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: February 15, 2014, 04:21:53 pm »

D'oh, of course. I confused it with something a hammerdwarf of the caravan might have dropped (he almost lost to a forest spider) but indeed it's simply part of the pet sword which lost to a kobold. :( Thanks.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2063 on: February 15, 2014, 04:43:58 pm »

::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: February 16, 2014, 06:02:01 pm »

Hey, I can't find the "Make bone (separate)" reaction. It's located at the Craftsdwarf's Workshop, right?
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: February 16, 2014, 08:12:44 pm »

Hey, I can't find the "Make bone (separate)" reaction. It's located at the Craftsdwarf's Workshop, right?

I'm pretty sure you no longer need the reaction.  It's built in now for animals to give bones in stacks of 2.  My refuse stockpiles overfill with bones when I slaughter a few large animals.

Speaking of bones I noticed that bone ammo is created in batches of five.  This has the effect of my ranged dwarf equipping five stacks of five bone ammo each.  Then when one runs out he runs to get more instead of using what's in his quiver once in a while.  Could it be possible to have a reaction that would take multiple bone ammo stockpiles and combine them?

Actually the truth right now is I have an entire frogman siege walled in, a human siege on the outside, and I can't get my marksdwarf to equip any ammo at all.  Even with designated bone axe heads.  He used to use copper fine, but won't touch bone.  Quiver is empty and everything else is equipped.  I can't wait for Toady to update military equipping code.  I guess next I'll try removing his squad completely and remaking it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2066 on: February 16, 2014, 08:15:21 pm »

Yes, its gone. All animals leave multiple stacks when being butchered.

Steforian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: February 16, 2014, 09:55:01 pm »

Steam Engine placement. I've read the description saying that it needs a down-stair(not a channel) underneath it with water, either i don't understand the wording or something is wrong. I've tried with a channel underneath (like with a magma forge) and I've tried with a carved downstairs underneath but it wont let me place the forge with a stairs there. What am i doing wrong?

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: February 16, 2014, 10:29:50 pm »

Even with the change, though, at most one-half of bones get used. That gets annoying if you're relying on bones as construction material.
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: February 17, 2014, 02:24:44 am »

Even with the change, though, at most one-half of bones get used. That gets annoying if you're relying on bones as construction material.

I have to agree here:
Since 4.h bones and butchery are massively bugged. If there was any bone simplification planned, it didn't work at all, about 50% of the bones still carry creature type or creature name in their item name, and those clean 'bone' type items do not stack as construction material in menus... so it looks like:
bone table 4
bone table 2
frog men bone table 3
bone table 1
frog men bone table 1
when trying to construct a table.
But that is not even the main issue. As other have reported before, butchery ends in almost eternal loops, rebutchering it's own products, massively stalling everything. Hexxedgarish (4g) had 3 butcher workshops for most of the times, endless dead creatures and still the butchers somehow kept up. Becordorbar now has way less kills per season, 4 butcher workshops, but the stockpile is completely overflowing with skeletons etc, as the butchers are more busy reprocessing their own products...
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 165