Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201600 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #2040 on: February 12, 2014, 12:50:43 pm »

Great Forge. Makes twohanded armor, better shields and armor sets. Research it at the Researchers Study. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Stormbuilder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: February 12, 2014, 03:45:47 pm »

Between mithril and adamantine? Wow. How does it compare with welded mithril.

I have at least 100 bars sitting around due to major smelting operations. (I am playing a fort to build all possible workshops/furnaces to learn more industries, and smelting is how I use up all the excess labor)

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: February 12, 2014, 04:38:50 pm »

Is oricalcum good for armor / weapons?

It's value is in the high level magic system and sacrifices. Also i think it's used in high tier buildings? It would be a waste for armor or weapons since it would take thousands of smelt jobs to get enough bars. Just use mithril plated in steel with runes engraved or poisoned mithril weapons. Wolfamite is good for blunt.
I'd tend to disagree with you at least a little bit here. For one thing, the Ore Processor doubles the orichalcum yield versus the raw stuff (and it produces small amounts of blocks, and more importantly, FLUX). Orichalcum is accessible rather early in the game, certainly before candy and most likely before you're able to find anything else nearly as good. Although, it's probably a bad idea to use it ALL on armor and stuff.
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: February 13, 2014, 08:09:39 am »

Would it be possible to change the wall look when using the default tileset? Ironhand walls look so much cleaner.
Or is even the change from MW-Obsidian walls to MW-Ironhand walls not possible without issues?
If it is possible, which files do I have to replace?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2044 on: February 13, 2014, 10:56:09 am »

Yes, you just need to replace the png in data/art. Check masterworkdwarffortress/graphics/mdf - ironhand walls. And move it to your normal df data/art folder.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Steforian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: February 13, 2014, 08:43:18 pm »

Spring Steel. Certain research needs these as well as certain items, but i cant find where to make this material. Where do i make it?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: February 13, 2014, 08:50:14 pm »

Spring Steel. Certain research needs these as well as certain items, but i cant find where to make this material. Where do i make it?

You should be able to make it at either the Blast Furnace or the Metallurgist's Forge. I believe it requires bars of steel and nickel.

Steforian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: February 13, 2014, 09:11:37 pm »

You should be able to make it at either the Blast Furnace or the Metallurgist's Forge. I believe it requires bars of steel and nickel.
Thanks! I never got around to making those two workshops, so that explains why i could not figure it out :P

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: February 14, 2014, 09:29:05 am »

Yes, you just need to replace the png in data/art. Check masterworkdwarffortress/graphics/mdf - ironhand walls. And move it to your normal df data/art folder.

thx

and next question regarding magma pressure created by magmalings...

sideview:
Code: [Select]
WOOOOOWOW
WFFXFFWMW
WOOOOOOOW
WFFFFFFFW
W = wall
F = floor
O = empty space
M = magmaling on a floorgrate

Now the question... If there is a hole in the floor at X... Will magma rise through this hole or not? Would the result change, if i place the magmaling even higher? ^^

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: February 14, 2014, 11:21:21 am »

Ah yes magmalings I've been playing with them lately.  They won't create any pressure.  I had magma fall down almost thirty z levels because the magmaling was filling my magma trap above the surface and the magma flowed down on it's own to power my magma forges.  It just filled up the z level below the forges but never spilled out.  I would suggest give the magmaling plenty of room.  The initial spawn of magma will knock it around a bit and you don't want it falling.  I personally give it it's own two z level high room with a flood gate, let that room fill, then open the flood gate to let magma flow out and the magmaling is usually in the corner and won't move since the magma spawns faster then it can flood out.  Just remember that the magma spawns above the magmaling.  So if you don't give it a two z level high room you may end up spawning magma in your forge room or having it spill out to cause !Fun! in your fortress if you're building a trap reservoir high above your very flammable courtyard like me.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: February 14, 2014, 11:28:35 am »

floor grates, i tell you, floor grates! :P Any I learned about the knockback effect in Hexxedgarish, as it had my magmaling at first almost dying because it bounced into a wall, and then dropped down the shaft... Made me really sad... And then i had to kill it, because it was spewing magma into the forge area. Even though, it can NOT spawn magma through floors ;) If there is a floor above, the magma will spawn on the magmalings level.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: February 14, 2014, 11:50:22 am »

floor grates, i tell you, floor grates! :P Any I learned about the knockback effect in Hexxedgarish, as it had my magmaling at first almost dying because it bounced into a wall, and then dropped down the shaft... Made me really sad... And then i had to kill it, because it was spewing magma into the forge area. Even though, it can NOT spawn magma through floors ;) If there is a floor above, the magma will spawn on the magmalings level.

Haha oh that's terrible.  Yea I take extra precautions.  Multiple fortifications and floor grates.  Also I've found that they will only spew magma for a certain amount of time.  I'm not sure if it stops when I reload the save or if it's timed.  But if you build in a way to drain the magma from the small room with the magmaling you can drain it out, let it dry, and recover the magmaling to use again in another project.

CptCrunchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: February 14, 2014, 03:06:37 pm »

Would it be possible to get the basic stats for the Inventor's forge armors in the manual somewhere?  I have no idea if it's worth it or not to use metal bars inventing and copying indestructible armor and Asgardian armor, as I have no idea what is special about them, or how much cover they provide.
Likes nether horror for their ability to turn people into eldritch horrors. Seriously, what is wrong with that dwarf.

Steforian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: February 14, 2014, 11:52:36 pm »

Is there any guide that shows what each research is used for? Most of the research is pretty simple in whats its for, but the rest is rather vague.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: February 15, 2014, 02:01:34 am »

What are the uses for broodlings and bloodlings?  They appear in my embark options for dwarves.  Usually I just bring changelings since I know what they are.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 165