Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 196363 times)

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1740 on: January 04, 2014, 02:40:49 pm »

All values, STRAIN_AT_YIELD lower is better, all else higher is better. Lower density is much, much better.
lower density is only better for non-blunt weapons ,) For blunt weapons density has to be as high as possible. So broadheadammo, hammers etc love heavy stuff. (making copper and silver instead of iron and steel viable, but surely nothing compares to welded wolfram)

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: January 04, 2014, 05:29:14 pm »

All values, STRAIN_AT_YIELD lower is better, all else higher is better. Lower density is much, much better.
lower density is only better for non-blunt weapons ,) For blunt weapons density has to be as high as possible. So broadheadammo, hammers etc love heavy stuff. (making copper and silver instead of iron and steel viable, but surely nothing compares to welded wolfram)
He is talking about armor, not weapons.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

mensrea

• Bay Watcher
  • Bane of COMEX
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: January 04, 2014, 05:35:04 pm »

I have had markers resurrect close to 100 corpses before..which proceeded to kill all my drakes and then rampage through my fortress. It's quite scary when your not prepared for it. Even then I couldn't help but appreciate the crossover. Dead space was a fantastic game. I just hope you don't add brethren moons.

On a separate note I saw a discussion regarding feedback on mephs magic/religion system. Honestly, I think it's very well balanced as is. Praying probably shouldn't be that productive; reserve it for times of desperation or the arrival of particularly talented priests. Even then, in old forts (10 yrs) it does become almost useless to pray due to the fact that you pretty much have everything through trade or industry. The more advanced religious reactions become way more useful in old forts though due to buffs and such. So I propose that if you want more people utilizing religion systems then you could add more buffs. Short term perhaps and limited to the dwarves who get caught in a burst of prayer. Since you can't add good feelings maybe you could make it so burst of prayer gives dwarves the same good thought they get from waterfall mist. Basically something slow and minor but absolutely a god send for mildly to completely unhappy forts. Think of it like a bunch of people attending church and feeling invigorated and empowered afterward. Not magic but psychology.

Regarding magic I personally don't use mages due to play style choices (I prefer legions of rifle dwarfs). However one class that's almost essential is the healers. You can never have too many of those guys both in hospitals and in squads. Perhaps in my current game I will develop a squad of various mages for feedback purposes. My only concern with employing them is the aoe attacks hurting nearby dwarves.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: January 04, 2014, 09:51:53 pm »

Wasn't there a workshop, other than the millstone, that can dispose of miscellaneous boulders for a low chance at useful things (such as ore)?

It's been a while since I actually cracked open the game and not sure if I'm thinking of something that's changed or if my memory is just making it up.

Regredit: Actually, never mind. Pretty sure it was the millstone even though I don't normally use things that require power without being well established, but I think I may have set up a simple windmill in the last fort.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 09:55:53 pm by Niveras »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1744 on: January 04, 2014, 10:04:38 pm »

Yes, its the millstone. It was in the stonecutter before, but I think it makes more sense in the actual millstone. Makes people more inclined to use it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: January 04, 2014, 10:43:25 pm »

Wasn't there a workshop, other than the millstone, that can dispose of miscellaneous boulders for a low chance at useful things (such as ore)?

It's been a while since I actually cracked open the game and not sure if I'm thinking of something that's changed or if my memory is just making it up.

Regredit: Actually, never mind. Pretty sure it was the millstone even though I don't normally use things that require power without being well established, but I think I may have set up a simple windmill in the last fort.

Archeologist eats stones, if you're looking for trade goods, armor, weapons, gold furniture, waves of undead, and slade ballista arrows that you'd never make on your own. Brick oven for fine, color-coded bricks. Crucible to make obsidian. Volcanic forge to turn obsidian into awesomeness of many flavors, like Magma WHAM.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: January 04, 2014, 10:51:44 pm »

Ah, the obsidian-from-crucible was actually what I was thinking of. But I have actual-obsidian on this embark so not as big a deal for high quality stone.

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: January 04, 2014, 11:37:34 pm »

Archeologist is a crazy way to turn stones into money or zombies

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: January 05, 2014, 01:00:34 am »

My other nicknames for the archeologist are Ambushcaller and Siegebringer.

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: January 05, 2014, 07:53:28 am »

Does Simple Wood or Simple Trees fuck up the ability to trade for Glumprong and Featherwood?

edit: 2nd q: Are wrestler dwarves just supposed to be the unquestioned stat-kings of dwarves?  Their maximums are insane if you can get them there.  Some of them can get to like 3500 agility!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 08:10:54 am by Verviticus »

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: January 05, 2014, 09:04:07 am »

#1: No, it doesn't.  But everything is biome-dependent.
#2: Agility is the top military skill (imo) but it's only defensive (armor is good, not getting hit is better).  An agile dwarf without armor-wearing or weapons skills is still only a Scout.  Pump stacks used to be the only way to increase agility but Meph added others in recent releases.
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: January 05, 2014, 12:55:07 pm »

What are the blobs for?
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1752 on: January 05, 2014, 12:58:19 pm »

What are the blobs for?
Nothing, but gem-farming. they leave a gem when they die.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: January 05, 2014, 02:38:06 pm »

When you butcher them? Also, are they any good as war animals? I bought one from the drow. I know their liquids cause syndromes.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 04:28:40 pm by someone12345 »

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: January 05, 2014, 04:47:28 pm »

#1: No, it doesn't.  But everything is biome-dependent.
#2: Agility is the top military skill (imo) but it's only defensive (armor is good, not getting hit is better).  An agile dwarf without armor-wearing or weapons skills is still only a Scout.  Pump stacks used to be the only way to increase agility but Meph added others in recent releases.

Every time traders come, they have wood, spore logs and fungi and that's it.  Elves, Dwarves, Drow, Humans, whatever I want to invite.  I figured that was because of simple wood or trees.

Do I have to embark on a combined evil/good biome to get both types of casters?
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 165