Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 196459 times)

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1725 on: January 03, 2014, 12:42:13 am »

There's a lot of stuff like "armor of armok" or "demonblessed greaves" which follow the rule of "they sound cool so they must be good" but then something simple like upgraded platemail just beats them in coverage/armor and is easily craftable.  Is there something in particular about the slew of seemingly inferior but cooler sounding equipment, or is it just to add flavour to various factions?

Also: my rune armory gives the option of engraving runes but all of the reactions require "improvable rock armor", none of which are actually suitable for the reaction.  Am I missing something?  It's not the magma variety.

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: January 03, 2014, 02:47:50 am »

Archeologist woke a necromorph. Quickly sacrificed a dwarf at the Temple of Armok, while our loyal badgerdogs and cragtooths kept the undead at bay. "The necromorph threat is over!" Yay! ...Necromorph still fighting the pets and kinda losing against 2 boars and a tuskox. Meh. A single inexperienced legionnaire cleaves the morph in twain with a single swing from a =Legendary Rusty Steel Zweihander=. Fatalities:2 shagies and a boar.

Was that a letdown or did I get lucky?

Edit: I got lucky the first time. 3 war necromorphs a month later. One of them ripped off a dwarf's arm and beat him to death with it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 03:43:42 am by There Is No Vic »

Legless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: January 03, 2014, 02:52:43 am »

Hi, guys.
I think, many of you tried to set ideal masterwork settings, but I've failed with it.
I'd prefer to make changes gradually. For example, I like caste system, advanced metalforge (except slag&fire), simple materials and I want to keep it in game.
And disable everything else (turrets-mines-golems, magic, non-vanilla races, fossils...)
So, with all due deference to Meph, I want just a slight modified vanilla for first fort.
But I cant, some disabled pieces of Masterwork remain in new generated world.
Any advice/your own configurations?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1728 on: January 03, 2014, 03:42:06 am »

Hi, guys.
I think, many of you tried to set ideal masterwork settings, but I've failed with it.
I'd prefer to make changes gradually. For example, I like caste system, advanced metalforge (except slag&fire), simple materials and I want to keep it in game.
And disable everything else (turrets-mines-golems, magic, non-vanilla races, fossils...)
So, with all due deference to Meph, I want just a slight modified vanilla for first fort.
But I cant, some disabled pieces of Masterwork remain in new generated world.
Any advice/your own configurations?
Ehm... well. Its quite difficult to reduce it so much without breaking parts. The GUI can do most things, just turn everything off. You cant do more. You will still have different creatures and items flying around here and there, but the greatest amount of the mod is optional.

Necromorphs: You only had 1? Probably only had 1 corpse around then. It should awake all corpses on the map as necromorphs, which is horrifying if you have 100-200 of them. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: January 03, 2014, 05:09:50 pm »

Got done with the beasts. Started working on adding more mundane things to the pet vendor like saltwater crocs and stuff. Pretty much anything I find in the creature raws with trainable tags.

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: January 03, 2014, 06:15:55 pm »

My Lich just passed away at his desk.  No apparent reason - just "found dead".  Oh well :(

edit: Maybe Liches shouldn't be able to migrate to forts if they require food/water and can die of what is ostensibly old age?

sjohne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: January 04, 2014, 07:15:16 am »

@Meph

Thanks for the answer regarding the castes... Too bad that there are no more pet dragons. Overpowered for sure but they came with their very own set of FUN  :D

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: January 04, 2014, 07:23:43 am »

Do the crucible reactions require a certain number of raw materials to work? I have two wolframite boulders, and there's no stockpile designations to cause trouble, but it won't run saying that there's no materials despite ample fuel for the reactions and the two boulders.

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: January 04, 2014, 07:26:41 am »

Why is there such a huge discrepancy on when and why civilizations will invade you?  I've had Freezer Thieves, bandit thieves, legion thieves, kobolds, orcs, goblins and I've had a single siege by orcs in a six year fort (that is well into the tens of millions of wealth)

Using the embassy to trigger invasions doesn't work either.  Do I just sit here for a dozen years and hope?

Do the crucible reactions require a certain number of raw materials to work? I have two wolframite boulders, and there's no stockpile designations to cause trouble, but it won't run saying that there's no materials despite ample fuel for the reactions and the two boulders.

Check that its not outside of your panic burrow?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: January 04, 2014, 07:36:41 am »

Why is there such a huge discrepancy on when and why civilizations will invade you?  I've had Freezer Thieves, bandit thieves, legion thieves, kobolds, orcs, goblins and I've had a single siege by orcs in a six year fort (that is well into the tens of millions of wealth)

Using the embassy to trigger invasions doesn't work either.  Do I just sit here for a dozen years and hope?

Check that its not outside of your panic burrow?

No burrows either. I can melt blocks for obsidian, but I can't make wolfram for some of that sweet, sweet, bone crushing tungsten.

And my guess is it's random. Fort defense races make it more likely for a siege to come, so playing with them can probably boost you combat-based Fun/fun. Of course distance may also be a factor before they start attacking regularly.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: January 04, 2014, 08:29:21 am »

That's weird.  If you had one invasion it's not the GUI button so, use the Embassy to call a trade faire.  That should draw 'em in, if anything will.  You realize of course that those playing in community forts with 80 nasties outside the walls preventing migrants and caravans can't understand the complaint, right?   :)
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: January 04, 2014, 11:11:39 am »

Which is better for armor: steel, mithril, or welded mithril? During the tests I did in the arena,  steel seemed to be worse than either mithril, and the two types of mithril were about equal.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: January 04, 2014, 11:20:44 am »

Smake compiled a detailed comparison of the various metals (and non-metals) and it's now on Masterworks Wiki.  That and the Quickguides for armor and weapons pretty much cover everything.   
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: January 04, 2014, 12:21:03 pm »

Which properties determine how good a material is for armor? Is it also the shear and impact values, or something else?
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: January 04, 2014, 02:33:54 pm »

All values, STRAIN_AT_YIELD lower is better, all else higher is better. Lower density is much, much better.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 165