Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 196576 times)

Endymion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1680 on: December 31, 2013, 04:40:23 pm »

Well Fullheal didn't work. Spawning lava above him did succeed in getting the caravan to pack up and leave, which I guess is the best I could hope for. It also set the hillside on fire. Oh well. I can survive without that caravan I guess.
Watching Wizard of Oz while listening to Dark Side of the Moon on shuffle.

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: December 31, 2013, 09:32:32 pm »

Does it seem reasonable that a collection of superior and legendary welded mithril long swords and battle axes (and a couple bifrost ones) can't decapitate a grimeling or a blizzard man?  I gave my military of 8 dwarves all with some variant of those weapons about three months to wail on these things (and they barely even got skillups) and they didn't manage to accomplish it.  I had to just reload at an earlier save when I didn't summon the creatures because otherwise I was going to have to rotate and dedicate dwarves indefinitely to keeping them down.

They seemed to decapitate the Balrog and his friends quickly enough, though!

edit: I ask this here because, despite it being well known that a BM is a pretty hard monster to kill, it seems you should be able to defeat it with a couple axedwarves using even steel or iron axes - but I didn't have anyone equipped with steel, and am wondering more if maybe that's just a problem with mithril and bifrost (though I don't understand why it should be)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 09:36:28 pm by Verviticus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1682 on: December 31, 2013, 09:35:58 pm »

Both grimelings and blizzard men are vanilla DF creatures and have not been changed, except for the usual material/leather/brain/soul thing that all creatures have. They should die to edged weapons just like everything else.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: December 31, 2013, 09:37:39 pm »

Both grimelings and blizzard men are vanilla DF creatures and have not been changed, except for the usual material/leather/brain/soul thing that all creatures have. They should die to edged weapons just like everything else.

Mithril and Bifrost and superior/legendary weapons should exclusively be better at cutting limbs off versus vanilla materials/weapons, right?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1684 on: December 31, 2013, 09:40:54 pm »

Yes. Bifrost is near adamantine levels.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: December 31, 2013, 09:42:34 pm »

If I understand correctly, mithril is just lighter, less-labour intense steel. Hence I distribute them as mail shirts and greaves to my frontlines infantrymen. You would first have to take them from cold dead hands of elves.

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: December 31, 2013, 09:44:41 pm »

If I understand correctly, mithril is just lighter, less-labour intense steel. Hence I distribute them as mail shirts and greaves to my frontlines infantrymen. You would first have to take them from cold dead hands of elves.

Patterned/welded mithril is sharper though.

Weird, it worked instantly in the object testing arena.  I wonder what I fucked up with my dwarves :(

edit: are colosseum monsters somehow different/harder to kill than their normal counterparts?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 09:53:35 pm by Verviticus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1687 on: December 31, 2013, 09:59:10 pm »

No, they are exactly the same creatures, just with the crazed-tag to make them hostile.

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: December 31, 2013, 10:04:48 pm »

I've been using Quickfort for three years. With Masterwork, I've been keeping dfhack updated and more plugins are running. I've noticed that Quickfort seems to freeze after a few hours while playing Masterwork, and I'm forced to exit Quickfort and reopen it from the MW GUI. Has anyone else noticed this?

Running Windows 7, updated like a mofo.

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: December 31, 2013, 10:06:02 pm »

Well, there has to be a reason as to why they can't chop their limbs off.  They have no problem doing it otherwise - I set them on some Giant Langurs and other shit roaming the wild and they exploded them into a million pieces almost immediately.  Is there a way to spawn enemies in fortress mode?  I tried spawn BLIZZARD_MAN but it just made a tame one that I can't attack.

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: December 31, 2013, 10:12:25 pm »

Well, there has to be a reason as to why they can't chop their limbs off.  They have no problem doing it otherwise - I set them on some Giant Langurs and other shit roaming the wild and they exploded them into a million pieces almost immediately.  Is there a way to spawn enemies in fortress mode?  I tried spawn BLIZZARD_MAN but it just made a tame one that I can't attack.

Because Dwarf Fortress.  :)

I once had two caravan guards fighting a grimeling for over a year. It was hilarious.

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: December 31, 2013, 10:15:15 pm »

I once had two caravan guards fighting a grimeling for over a year. It was hilarious.

I mean sure, but three dwarves with steel weapons in the OTA killed blizzard men in less than a second - got in range, limbs go flying everywhere.  These were largely untrained dwarves.  I did that test like 10 times and each time it was almost instantaneous victory for the dwarves.  There's no reason that fortress mode should be so different, so something is obviously wrong.

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: December 31, 2013, 10:30:13 pm »

I mean sure, but three dwarves with steel weapons in the OTA killed blizzard men in less than a second - got in range, limbs go flying everywhere.  These were largely untrained dwarves.  I did that test like 10 times and each time it was almost instantaneous victory for the dwarves.  There's no reason that fortress mode should be so different, so something is obviously wrong.

Do you have a save before/during the grimeling attack? Even if they don't spawn again, your biome will produce them and they will show up eventually. I might be curious enough to favor one of your saves over my own budding crapfest fort.

(Highest frequency of recent fort deaths caused by: Slathering Update, Beware its deadly RAWs!)

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: December 31, 2013, 10:31:58 pm »

Do you have a save before/during the grimeling attack? Even if they don't spawn again, your biome will produce them and they will show up eventually. I might be curious enough to favor one of your saves over my own budding crapfest fort.

(Highest frequency of recent fort deaths caused by: Slathering Update, Beware its deadly RAWs!)

I've actually been spawning these in the Colosseum.  If a grimeling attacked and it was the same story I could narrow it down to "problem with my dwarves" but I'm wondering if maybe something unintended happens when Blizzard Men or Grimelings get spawned in the Colosseum.

I can upload a save if you want.

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: December 31, 2013, 10:48:11 pm »

I can upload a save if you want.

Want. But it is New Year's and I might pass out before getting far.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 165