Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 202139 times)

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1650 on: December 30, 2013, 11:58:05 am »

I'm running a game with a lich as one of my starting 7.  I've noticed as well that he seems to need to eat and drink despite the description in the the text.

He also started out with a high competence in mining so I've let him work in that profession so far.  Every now and again I'll confine him to a burrow that I've made over my refuse pile; he'll come up and raise a couple of friendly bone golems. Then I let him go back to mining.

You can't control the golems, and sometimes they start fights unnecessarily.  They're surprisingly weak against black bears.  But when my fort was unexpectedly visited by a poisonous megabeast recently they made short work of him while my dwarves hid downstairs.

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: December 30, 2013, 01:21:53 pm »

Geomancers. I got one of these guys as an immigrant. He casts some sort of haste spell on himself all the time to run about faster. He transformed into a giant bat to flee some moledogs. Also, he's a bloodsucker and ate my armorer.

What can these guys do? Also, can I train him to be a mage? I'm currently trying to weaponize him. I figured since he's a bloodsucker that tainting the well his blood might work. He's in position now, I'm just awaiting the next group of volunteers from the mountainhome. (We get so very few of those...year four and 130 dead already...)
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: December 30, 2013, 02:05:12 pm »

Geomancers. I got one of these guys as an immigrant. He casts some sort of haste spell on himself all the time to run about faster. He transformed into a giant bat to flee some moledogs. Also, he's a bloodsucker and ate my armorer.

What can these guys do? Also, can I train him to be a mage? I'm currently trying to weaponize him. I figured since he's a bloodsucker that tainting the well his blood might work. He's in position now, I'm just awaiting the next group of volunteers from the mountainhome. (We get so very few of those...year four and 130 dead already...)
Congratulations, you're dealing with a master vampire, the best (or worst) kind of vampire. They can use a hypersonic scream which makes foes dizzy, move really fast, paralyze foes, and turn into a bat.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: December 30, 2013, 02:16:17 pm »

Whoa, that's awesome. Can you infect a fort with it? I gave him a steel helm and a steel breastplate and put him in the bottom of a 1x1 well. 2z deep so he can't dodge out somehow. The iron spike in the well severed his arty and spewed blood about in the well. I have forbade the drinking of all booze and locked everyone inside. They are drinking...but none are affected.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: December 30, 2013, 02:21:24 pm »

Whoa, that's awesome. Can you infect a fort with it? I gave him a steel helm and a steel breastplate and put him in the bottom of a 1x1 well. 2z deep so he can't dodge out somehow. The iron spike in the well severed his arty and spewed blood about in the well. I have forbade the drinking of all booze and locked everyone inside. They are drinking...but none are affected.
A quick look through the RAWs shows that it can indeed spread through ingesting blood, but I'm not sure why they're not affected. Also, I forgot to mention that master vampires can "hide in plain sight" as well.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: December 30, 2013, 03:54:41 pm »

So, I've sent two of my new marksdwarves to school, but see no difference in their abilities.  Does it take time for the improvements to show themselves, or am I doing something else wrong?

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: December 30, 2013, 04:35:55 pm »

I'm running a game with a lich as one of my starting 7.  I've noticed as well that he seems to need to eat and drink despite the description in the the text.

He also started out with a high competence in mining so I've let him work in that profession so far.  Every now and again I'll confine him to a burrow that I've made over my refuse pile; he'll come up and raise a couple of friendly bone golems. Then I let him go back to mining.

You can't control the golems, and sometimes they start fights unnecessarily.  They're surprisingly weak against black bears.  But when my fort was unexpectedly visited by a poisonous megabeast recently they made short work of him while my dwarves hid downstairs.

My golems are nice enough to just stand on the refuse pile and look intimidating.  It's unfortunate though - I thought they were able to be wartrained :(

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: December 30, 2013, 04:50:10 pm »

well, strangely enough, I now seem to have "war golems" and though I can't train them, I can pasture them.

Have no idea why they turned into war golem though (I certainly didn't train them), and the name "war golem" only shows up in the zones ("i") menu.  Under the the unit list ("u") they still appear as "friendly" others.

I did unlock a technology (Warbeast kennels") but have no idea how to use it.  I can't find a warbeast kennel anywhere in build list, anyway.  Damn if I can find it in the manual either.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: December 30, 2013, 05:03:44 pm »

in the manual under furnaces >> upgrades...

And to copy the manual entry:

Build labor
Skill
Buildmat
Dimension
Requirements
Architect & Animal Trainer
Animal Training
2 Chains, 2 Cages, 1 Science Discovery
5x5
Mason or Carpenter, Forge or Clothier, Researcher
building_war_kennels.txt
reaction_war_kennels.txt
You can train animals in this workshop. First you need to bring the animal to the kennels. Simply make a pasture on top of the workshop and assign the wanted animals there. You can do as many as you want in one go. Then run the reactions.

Combat training costs 1 stack of bones and trains all nearby creatures of the selected type. They will get 1 additional level in biting, dodging and melee combat, up till legendary.

You can armor a small list of animals with either iron or steel armor here. Shaggy Badgerdogs and Cragtooth Boars, Mastiffs, Horses, Grizzlies, Raptors, Elephants, Unicorns and more. This will both increase their defensive as well as offensive capabilities. Quite a lot, actually. You need iron or steel bars and mechanisms for this. If an armored creature is butchered, it will also create an inedible metal part. These parts can be recycled to gain back a bit of the metal.

Rune-Engraving an armored animal will triple its attributes.

An Example: The result will be a legendary biter, dodger and fighter steelclad war-mastiffs with three times the strength, toughness and agility as a normal one.

WARNING: Armored animals do not breed. Due to game mechanics they would give birth to already armored children. Don't armor all your warbeasts if you still want to breed them.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1659 on: December 30, 2013, 05:16:41 pm »

To answer a few more questions:
Geomancer is not the same as master vampire. Vampirism is a curse. Geomancy is a secret learned from a slab at worldgen. What you have my friend, is a Master Vampire Geomancer. He is both. Insanely rare, he can do both the awesomeness of the master vampire, and the spells of the geomancer, which is a rock/earth bound mage.

War Bone Golems = Reanimated war-trained pets. Some other of your bone golems are not wartrained pets, so they are just bone golems. Other might be friendly, when you raise civ members, instead of pets.

Lich that eats/drinks: I dont know. Seems that NOEAT NODRINK and so on is bugged when used in caste level. I know that the transformation adds it with a syndrome, but as it stands it seems that migrant lichs will act normal, and need to eat/drink. Dont know what I could do about that.

Marksdwarf Training: They dont get a skill, but better skill learning. They like fighting, have a 5 tile further range then normal dwarves, and learn these skills twice as fast:

YESCASTE[SKILL_RATE:TEACHING:200:0:0:0]       
YESCASTE[SKILL_RATE:LEADERSHIP:200:0:0:0]   
YESCASTE[SKILL_RATE:MILITARY_TACTICS:200:0:0:0]               
YESCASTE[SKILL_RATE:SITUATIONAL_AWARENESS:200:0:0:0]   
YESCASTE[SKILL_RATE:KNOWLEDGE_ACQUISITION:200:0:0:0]
YESCASTE[SKILL_RATE:ARMOR:200:0:0:0]             
YESCASTE[SKILL_RATE:BLOWGUN:200:0:0:0]               
YESCASTE[SKILL_RATE:BOW:200:0:0:0]               
YESCASTE[SKILL_RATE:CROSSBOW:200:0:0:0]             
YESCASTE[SKILL_RATE:DODGING:200:0:0:0]                   
YESCASTE[SKILL_RATE:MILITARY_TACTICS:200:0:0:0]           
YESCASTE[SKILL_RATE:RANGED_COMBAT:200:0:0:0]                       
YESCASTE[SKILL_RATE:SITUATIONAL_AWARENESS:200:0:0:0]         
YESCASTE[SKILL_RATE:THROW:200:0:0:0]       
YESCASTE[SKILL_RATE:CRUTCH_WALK:200:0:0:0]         

They have higher willpower and recuperation, and their bones heal faster and feel less pain.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: December 30, 2013, 06:18:08 pm »

Two of my latest migrants are some kind of evil, but I'm not sure exactly what to do about it. One routinely has the line 'stares at the moon' in combat logs, and the other has 'paints a pentagram with blood'. I know the first one has something to do with lycanthropy, but he hasn't ever transformed (there's been at least one full moon since he got there), and I guess the other is like, a vampire/warlock spy/necromancer or some other unholy thing? Literally nothing else seems amiss, but still . . .
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: December 30, 2013, 07:05:06 pm »

carp god cult members?
And blood sacrifices are always fun :D

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: December 30, 2013, 07:11:09 pm »

Update: I told one of them to go and fight a goblin, leaving 'a spatter of Urist McSuspicious' unknown creature substance'. Still nothing is happening; apparently silver blood is okay.

EDIT:AHA! Found it. So, I'm dealing with possessions by a werebeast and a bloodbeast. Since the moon guy hasn't transformed, what's stopping him? Neither of the dwarves have really done anything malicious. What conditions must be met for the !!FUN!! to begin?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 07:32:29 pm by arcturusthelesser »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1663 on: December 30, 2013, 07:42:13 pm »

Update: I told one of them to go and fight a goblin, leaving 'a spatter of Urist McSuspicious' unknown creature substance'. Still nothing is happening; apparently silver blood is okay.

EDIT:AHA! Found it. So, I'm dealing with possessions by a werebeast and a bloodbeast. Since the moon guy hasn't transformed, what's stopping him? Neither of the dwarves have really done anything malicious. What conditions must be met for the !!FUN!! to begin?
Time. They will transform at some point. But you can save them with your temple. Armoks Ward can cure them.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: December 30, 2013, 07:48:57 pm »

I don't have the materials for a temple or a ward, can a shrine do?
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 165