Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201371 times)

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1605 on: December 26, 2013, 12:04:35 am »

Well, the difference would be "superior steel zweihander" versus "steel superior zweihander"; I'd say the former is at least more aesthetically pleasing.

Ah, you're right. We could have 'steel zweihander (superior)', which would save the stockpiling headaches, although again it's still not as aesthetically pleasing.

I suspect the best solution here is to give the upgraded items different names. Bow -> Razorbow, for example. Or 'Zweihander -> Greatsword -> Awesomesword' (j/k).

I still think the the utility of having easier to understand stockpiles and military menus is greater than the disutility of the less pleasing name, but since I'm going to be sprinting on orc rebalances and the topic is less clear-cut than I had previously thought, I won't be making any changes yet. :)

~ T

mensrea

• Bay Watcher
  • Bane of COMEX
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: December 26, 2013, 12:44:59 pm »

Playing masterwork recently I had an idea to reimagine the farming system.

I recall the reason being that we don't have huge sprawling farms as depicted in adventure mode is due to computational restraints. Too much work for dwarves to do leads to ridiculous calculations, so having a 100x100 farm plot would kill FPS with dwarves constantly checking which tile needs ferts/planted/harvested.

However, huge farms are cool looking. And the idea of space as a resource in the agriculture industries is really neglected in DF.

Possible solution: make gigantic workshops that represent farms. Huge footprints, possibly bigger than the garrison or fishpond. Make them need tons of logs to be built (in order to cultivate mushrooms off the logs) and have them use the farming labor. The farmer would go to the workshop and a reaction that consumes spores and produces mushrooms would take place. The reaction would take quite a while and result in relatively large outputs. This way, you could have huge farms with a fraction of the lag that farm plots produce. You could even have multiple reactions to cover things like irrigation (water buckets get used), fertilizing (sawdust gets used to feed the shrooms) and other crops.

Obviously, theres nothing wrong with the current farm system. I am just a big fan of expansive farms, and so this is my idea for a way to have them without running a supercomputer.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1607 on: December 26, 2013, 01:01:16 pm »

mensrea: Phoebus wrote something like that a while ago. Search for "phoebus seedless".  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57557.msg4145023#msg4145023
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: December 26, 2013, 09:49:39 pm »

I've been adding new critters to the pet stall. Though I think I might have ran out of room since I'm currently at [BUILDING:CREATURE_MERCHANTS_STALL:CUSTOM_SHIFT_W] and have four more pets to add. Can I keep going past Z for the custom_shift? If so what do I use next?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1609 on: December 26, 2013, 10:52:24 pm »

1. Please post them here. :P Because its what I want to do as well. Add more expensive monsters to it.
2. CUSTOM_SHIFT_ ist not the end. CUSTOM_ALT_ also exists.
3. Instead of CUSTOM_HOTKEY, you can use NONE. The reaction wont have a hotkey, thats all. No other problem.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: December 26, 2013, 11:00:53 pm »

Well I can but right now I'm going through creatures_beasts_masterwork adding them so I don't know if you'd want a bunch of stuff for megabeasts.
---
How many bars of gold does it take to run the 2500 coin reaction? I'm trying to figure out a reasonable price for the beasties.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 11:33:06 pm by zlurker »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1611 on: December 26, 2013, 11:35:11 pm »

1 bar = 500 coins

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: December 26, 2013, 11:42:39 pm »

Okay how does 15k coins sound?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1613 on: December 26, 2013, 11:51:32 pm »

I will add wolves and barghest and crocodiles. Not dragons and giants. ;) If its really just megabeasts, than its for your personal mod, and therefore you can make prices as you see fit. :P

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: December 26, 2013, 11:53:36 pm »

I'm going to add all sorts of things but the first are megabeasts. And those gigantic 150,000,000 sized elephants.

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: December 27, 2013, 06:01:16 pm »

Howdy, back with a few more questions if anyone can help...

1) How does one stockpile glue and library supplies?

2) Is it possible to make you're own springsteel, and if so, how?

3)  What's an "unknown material red marker," and how do I "use Armok" to get rid of it?

Thx in advance!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1616 on: December 27, 2013, 06:04:04 pm »

1) they are tools and go to tool stockpiles. Sort by material, and search for "library".
2) Yes. The Metallurgist can make springsteel from steel and nickel. If you dont have nickel, the merchant stalls sell it, or the Alchemist can transmute some.
3) Its a rare archeological find. Did you find one? Because there should be some trouble in your graveyard right about now. "using armok" means: Armoks Temple. It can destroy it, and sort out the trouble on the graveyard.

Question: Did anything happen when you did find the marker?

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: December 27, 2013, 06:38:09 pm »

Hej Meph!   :)

No, nothing happened when I found the marker... but, well, there are a couple of complications.  One is that I don't have any corpses, except for a dead gnoll and a dead lamb.  There other is that I have a lich.  He likes to go into my refuse pile every now and again and raise a friendly bone golem or two, or five, for me.  Don't know if that has any influence on the affect of the marker....

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1618 on: December 27, 2013, 06:45:50 pm »

Oh well, if you get nothing around that is FIT_FOR_ANIMATION, then nothing happens. Just between us two:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: December 27, 2013, 06:55:06 pm »

This mod is utterly mind blowing, you know that?  I have to get up and to work in four hours, but here I am, thanks to you.

Anyway, I guess I was lucky to discover the marker almost directly after embark, before there were to many dead things around.

And now I bid you a good night, sir!  :)

Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 165