Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201353 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1560 on: December 21, 2013, 02:28:06 pm »

No research needed, just paper/vellum/papyrus + ink. Thats it. Done in the scriptorium.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: December 21, 2013, 03:17:20 pm »

But I don't need to have any specific research completed to write a book?  The manual says it "makes copies of scientific research", which led me to believe I need to research the topic before I can unlock it?  Maybe I just don't have the right profession....

:-[

...writing?

There are two distinct things you can do in the scriptatorium. 

One is when you research something you get plans/blueprints for it.  This is a resource used to build that building later.  You can make copies of these plans/blueprints if you want to build more than one of that building.  If you don't make a copy you have to rely on random chance again to re-research that building.

The other thing you can do is bind books together.  Ten books are used to make a library for training.

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: December 21, 2013, 03:31:26 pm »

So...if I have a scriptorium, and vellum, and ink, and someone with the scribe profession activated...why can't I write any books?  They've been in red since I built the scriptorium over a year ago (in game).  Do I need quills, maybe?

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: December 21, 2013, 03:48:29 pm »

So...if I have a scriptorium, and vellum, and ink, and someone with the scribe profession activated...why can't I write any books?  They've been in red since I built the scriptorium over a year ago (in game).  Do I need quills, maybe?

You also need glue in a pot for a binding.  It can be extracted from Bloated Tuber growing above ground.  Also from horns/hoofs of animals or spore trees.  You could also import the glue, tubers, or a crate of library supplies.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 03:50:13 pm by kamikazi1231 »

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: December 21, 2013, 03:56:24 pm »

I've got three or four pots of glue as well.  sry, forgot to mention that.

Ursch, this is frustrating.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: December 22, 2013, 01:02:51 am »

I'm at a bit of a loss.  The only other things I could think of are disallowing containers like bins if it's messing things up in the stockpiles.  Moving the stockpiles closer to the library if they are far away.  Maybe check any stockpile restrictions that may be telling a stockpile to only give to a certain workshop.  You could also upload your save file so we can take a look at whats going on.

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: December 22, 2013, 02:43:40 am »

I tried your suggestion of creating a stockpile closer to the scriptorium with the bins turned off, but it didn't seem to work.  Then I realized I hadn't built a trade storehouse, which is one of the new buildings I hadn't seen in the manual before -- thx for the tip, btw, it's clearly of central importance now.  Anyway, once the storehouse finished building it automatically opened up a crate of library supplies and a crate of feathers, and -- e viola! -- the scriptorium was functional.

So that's working, but now I seem to be having problems with my fish farm instead.  Do you know if fishing poles and nets are one use items only, or how to prevent them from being stockpiled in a finished goods stockpile?

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: December 22, 2013, 03:01:53 am »

Glad to hear you got it working.  I think that while the fishing rod and net have higher chances of success, they also have a higher chance of breaking.  I usually just use buckets and put fish with bucket on repeat.

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: December 22, 2013, 03:31:21 am »

ah, gotcha.  thx again for all the help!

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: December 22, 2013, 06:01:33 am »

Okay, it seems as if all of my research supplies, fishing equipment, and written books are being stored in a bin in a corner of my fortress.  Once they are placed there they're no longer available for use.  At one point the bin was part of a "Finished goods" - tools stockpile that I was using as storage for ink jugs, but taking  kamikazi1231īs advice I removed the stockpile and created another, in front om my scriptorium, that took the same items without bins. (This also appears to by why I can't fish with nets or poles -- I have a number of them sitting in the bin, but can't seem to use them.)

I did the old trick where you set up a quantum refuse pile exactly beside the bin and dump everything from the bin into it.  This seems to have fixed both the problem with my scriptorium and my fish farm!

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: December 23, 2013, 04:54:40 am »

I keep getting CDT with message "Nemisis load unit fail", or something similar.  I think it's associated with the arrival of new migrants to my fort.  If I restart from a previous save it usually works after a couple of retries, but it's annoying.

Anyone know whats causing it, or if there's a workaround?

Nevermind.  I googled it.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 05:04:25 am by Mr. Svinlesha »

Amagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: December 23, 2013, 10:49:21 am »

Is there a way to designate a particular piece of weaponry or armor to be engraved or improved at one of the associated workshops? I'd hate to waste my adamantine runes on bronze weaponry.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1572 on: December 23, 2013, 11:24:28 am »

Use stockpile settings, Allow the workshop only to take from a specific stockpile, then stockpile only the materials you want there.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Amagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: December 23, 2013, 11:33:38 am »

Ah, thank you.

Amagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: December 23, 2013, 12:39:47 pm »

Mh, now I'm having trouble getting that bloody item in the stockpile. The item in question is a legendary adamantite zweihander of exceptionla quality. I've enabled all item qualities in the stockpile, selected both adamantine material and zweihander type several times (why's the zweihander in the "weapon" category like 4 times?!). Not sure what I'm doing wrong but nobody's carrying it and my haulers are idling.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 165