Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201309 times)

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1545 on: December 20, 2013, 04:52:17 pm »

Be sure to turn autowatch on in the autobutcher gui.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: December 20, 2013, 05:11:49 pm »

sry to spam the thread like this, but for the life of me i can't figure out how to make ink.  What specific profession is required?

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: December 20, 2013, 07:25:25 pm »

sry to spam the thread like this, but for the life of me i can't figure out how to make ink.  What specific profession is required?

craftsdwarf's workshop, ash is the reagent for black, and is probably the easiest for you to make.

I think I may have encountered some sort of bug with dfhack. Some tiles I dug while 'reveal' was active are marked as hidden whenever I turn it off, and I'm unable to re-dig them or anything. Anyone have a similar problem? I know this isn't purely a Masterwork issue, but still . . .
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: December 20, 2013, 07:31:48 pm »

I think I may have encountered some sort of bug with dfhack. Some tiles I dug while 'reveal' was active are marked as hidden whenever I turn it off, and I'm unable to re-dig them or anything. Anyone have a similar problem? I know this isn't purely a Masterwork issue, but still . . .

I've had that happen in vanilla DF. I'm guessing that the map info only saves what was seen when reveal is activated, and doesn't add in the new areas discovered.

I usually just make the military wander around the area, revealing it like you would an unexplored cavern.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: December 20, 2013, 07:34:08 pm »

That is not a bug. In fact, the command explicitly warns you that this will happen.

Use revflood to fix it.

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: December 20, 2013, 07:42:33 pm »

Regarding the problem with reveal, always be sure to "unreveal" before you un-pause -- otherwise you run into problems.

Regarding my problem with ink -- well, i have all the ingredients -- ash and jugs -- and I have craftdwarves who craft wood and stone.  But they simply don't produce ink. 

Specifically -- is there a particular Profession required to produce ink?

As an aside, I'm also not producing net for some reason, even though i have thread.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 07:44:20 pm by Mr. Svinlesha »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: December 20, 2013, 07:57:38 pm »

Regarding the problem with reveal, always be sure to "unreveal" before you un-pause -- otherwise you run into problems.

Regarding my problem with ink -- well, i have all the ingredients -- ash and jugs -- and I have craftdwarves who craft wood and stone.  But they simply don't produce ink. 

Specifically -- is there a particular Profession required to produce ink?

As an aside, I'm also not producing net for some reason, even though i have thread.

The raws say that it's a dyer that makes ink.

To make a net at the fishing pond you need ten thread and four blocks made of any worthless stone.

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: December 20, 2013, 08:12:40 pm »

Thank you!

I have no dyers, not enough thread, and have no idea how i would find that info in the raws!

:)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: December 20, 2013, 08:47:30 pm »

Craftsdwarves make ink, nothing special to it, from ash, blood, dye or graphite.  You just need a jug and a workshop.  That said, in my last fortress, my guys just wouldn’t make ink.  There were helpful suggestions here (dedicated stockpiles, manager override to jumpstart, etc.) but nothing worked.  Only a clean install of the program did and now, same as always (meaning, no problems).  I have no idea what that was about.

To find something/anything in the raws, just look in the subdirectories (reaction, items, whatever).  I use Windows Search to find what I’m looking for and then drill down from the Edit window for specifics.  There are other ways, too.  It’s something worth learning – there’s lots of info there.  The Quick-Guides make it a lot easier now than earlier versions, but you’ll always be looking up a “what is that?” new thing that shows up in game. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: December 20, 2013, 09:20:46 pm »

I'll take your advice on learning how to search the raws...its very time consuming to do it by guesswork.

Note Bene, though:  Craftdwarves do not produce ink.  Dyers produce ink, as stated above.  I manged to produce some by moving over a dwarf to dyeing.  That info is worth putting in the manual, if you ask me (it may be in there, but I sure couldn't find it).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: December 20, 2013, 11:47:55 pm »

Craftsdwarves make ink, nothing special to it, from ash, blood, dye or graphite.  You just need a jug and a workshop.  That said, in my last fortress, my guys just wouldn’t make ink.  There were helpful suggestions here (dedicated stockpiles, manager override to jumpstart, etc.) but nothing worked.  Only a clean install of the program did and now, same as always (meaning, no problems).  I have no idea what that was about.

To find something/anything in the raws, just look in the subdirectories (reaction, items, whatever).  I use Windows Search to find what I’m looking for and then drill down from the Edit window for specifics.  There are other ways, too.  It’s something worth learning – there’s lots of info there.  The Quick-Guides make it a lot easier now than earlier versions, but you’ll always be looking up a “what is that?” new thing that shows up in game.

notepad++ find in files is  how I do it

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: December 21, 2013, 06:51:17 am »

Interesting.  I can't see that's it's faster for DF but it's a more powerful tool and useful for other things.  Thanks for the heads up.
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: December 21, 2013, 09:13:33 am »

I hate to keep spamming this thread with stupid questions, but I just can't seem to be able to get my library system started.  To build any given library I need a set of books.  How do I produce them?  I have all the materials and I've been running a research lab since I started this fort, basically, and a scriptorium but I don't seem to ever produce a book.  What am I doing wrong?

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: December 21, 2013, 11:44:04 am »

I hate to keep spamming this thread with stupid questions, but I just can't seem to be able to get my library system started.  To build any given library I need a set of books.  How do I produce them?  I have all the materials and I've been running a research lab since I started this fort, basically, and a scriptorium but I don't seem to ever produce a book.  What am I doing wrong?

Check out the library section under the workshops in the dwarf manual.  Looks like you need paper, ink, and glue to bind it.  If you have all the ingredients I'd try storing them in a stockpile near the scriptorium and don't allow bins in there.  I'm not sure what in the library system is stored in bags but the crafting system gets very confused if  bags of stuff are stored inside bins.  It can't seem to find them to produce.  One thing you could do is buy crates of library supplies through trading then unpack those crates at the trade storehouse.  A few crates of those will probably give you enough ink, paper, glue, books, quills, whatever to get the library system started.

Also there are no stupid questions in dwarf fortress.  Only stupid dwarfs not doing what their told.  Masterwork makes many features less complicated, but then adds massive amounts of content.  It can be tough to get into.

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: December 21, 2013, 01:47:53 pm »

But I don't need to have any specific research completed to write a book?  The manual says it "makes copies of scientific research", which led me to believe I need to research the topic before I can unlock it?  Maybe I just don't have the right profession....

:-[

...writing?
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 165