Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 165

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 201483 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2013, 10:30:25 am »

Is there any way to check a dwarf's size , or should I just hand them an axe and see what they do when forming squads?

That's a good question, it seems like it should be possible at least with DFHack or something, I would like to know too.  I also tend to use the "hand them an axe" method :D 

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2013, 04:22:09 pm »

I just got some migrants, and one apparently has the plague. It seems to start out as a fever, but then rots critical sections of the body such as the lungs, the spine and the brain. It is extremely contagious (a dwarf walking a few squares away will get it) and already a large portion of my dwarves are infected. Is there any way to combat this disease?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2013, 10:32:07 pm »

The same way the plague was treated in the medieval times: Seperate the healthy from the sick, wait, throw away the dead. Most should survive though, but make sure to seperate the mirgant that brought the plague in the first place. He stays contagious.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2013, 12:13:27 am »

Thanks for the advice: otherwise the plague would have just recurred over and over and over, and I would not have any clue what the cause was. What should I do to the original plague carrier? Perhaps I should just him the fortress manager who has nothing to do other than manage work orders. Also, how exactly is the plague spread? Can it pass through walls? Do I need to make the enclosure for the plague carrier have thick walls to stop the spread? Or do I just need to have a sealed room?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2013, 06:15:01 am »

Its transmitted by touch or close proximity. Currently there is no cure, so that one plague carrier should probably be killed or sealed away somehow. It cant spread through walls.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

LordNippes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2013, 09:30:18 am »

Is there a possibility to make steel in an embark area without flux stone in masterwork?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2013, 09:36:57 am »

(quick way) make bonemeal flux at the slaughterhouse

(slow but easier to make lots)  grow steeloak saplings on a farm plot and refine to steel at the timberyard

Zombi

• Bay Watcher
  • Was too long. Sorry Urist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2013, 05:24:26 pm »

To what skill was Ambusher changed to? I want to be able to get a free military dwarf right off the bat.

Sefarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2013, 06:46:35 am »

Pretty sure Ambusher is Hunter now, right?

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 18, 2013, 07:22:54 am »

Pretty sure it's Hunter.

Anyone know an effective way to stockpile for the Crematorium? Or any tips on dealing with the clothes that Dwarves decide to just shed throughout the fort in general. I'm reluctant to use it without working stockpiles in fear of burning the good quality stuff I have.

Also, I vaguely remember something about Volcanic armor being somewhat fire-proof. Can anyone confirm that? I'm tempted to breed Dragon Raptors for my military dwarves, but don't really want to just wing it and find out, only to burn my entire military alive before they even get to whoever might be attacking.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 18, 2013, 08:47:57 am »

Edit: My bad, didn't realize it was the embark screen. Yeah it's hunter.

Hefateus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 18, 2013, 08:53:39 am »

Dragon Raptors are basicly a T-rex or some dino like it. They dont have a breath that I could see in the raws.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Diplomacy is in place of the Tanning skill and Ambusher has been renamed to Hunting.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2013, 09:08:10 am »

I'll have to check then, I was pretty sure I had one that did in my last fort, but now that I think of it the fire might have come from the Mega Beast it was fighting. I didn't really look at the logs, and both beast and pet ended up dead and scattered around my cavern entrance. Any pets that can?

Hefateus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2013, 09:50:03 am »

You can sometimes get pet dragons from the Drow or maybe the elves... Or Firebirds. Both have a tendency to burn down your fort though.

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2013, 08:51:03 pm »

Quick question: Does anybody know what the difference is between a bladed/spiked minecart and a bladed/spiked tracktrap?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 165