Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 142

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Bug reports and known issues.  (Read 191210 times)

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
Re: Military acting like civilians
« Reply #1920 on: March 18, 2014, 11:08:14 am »

Essentially, my military will act like they are civilians. Whoever I assign, from what I can tell. The members of any squad, new or existing, will run away from threats, perform civ jobs, and will appear as whatever their profession icon is, ie farmer. Their ames also do not appear in bold in Dwarf Therapist, even though they are listed as in a squad. Schedule is set to Active, but even changing that has no effect. Have switched equipment, dorfs, barracks, armour stands etc to try to alleviate this, to no effect. Most related issue I could find was for vanilla, and appears to have been resolved by Toady: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1617

I have an inkling that previous events may have caused this - I accidentally breached the third cavern and forgot to wall it up. Floating brain came up, started a fire and got killed by my then-military-commander (He did "look confused" in the battle logs). After that point, my commander went round and killed some people, and everyone was fighting/paranoid, before he got impaled by a miner. Since then, the military hasn't worked in that save. Will upload if requested. Thanks in advance :)
oh if you can upload a save where it's acting up, that would be very helpful!

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8481 Here's the save :) Using v4i, I believe I neglected to mention that. Again, thank you  :P
did you use therapist to assign members to squads, and did you possibly move members from one squad to another?

EDIT: at first i thought it may have been a therapist bug, but it seems ok. there's certainly something strange going on, i see what you mean about them not training, or seem to only train when inactive? hrmm..
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 11:44:52 am by splinterz »

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Bug reports and known issues.
« Reply #1921 on: March 18, 2014, 02:44:47 pm »

My dwarfs are trying to butcher mutilated goblin skeletons and seemingly getting stuck in the attempt until they run off for food or drink, any fix for this?

It's a known bug, no idea what causes it
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: March 18, 2014, 03:12:12 pm »

Another bug: nightwing sieges don't do anything. Meaning, even if I let all doors wide open the wings won't come into my fort, just stare at it until they get bored and leave, a caravan arrives or I attack them. Occasionally one will spot a random dwarf and go for him, but never more than a couple will attack at once... They're boring, they could have easily nuked my fort at the start :D

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: March 18, 2014, 04:08:01 pm »

Another bug: nightwing sieges don't do anything. Meaning, even if I let all doors wide open the wings won't come into my fort, just stare at it until they get bored and leave, a caravan arrives or I attack them. Occasionally one will spot a random dwarf and go for him, but never more than a couple will attack at once... They're boring, they could have easily nuked my fort at the start :D

That is a known problem with flying invaders if they spawn above the ground. The invader pathing was designed only for walking units, so if they spawn above the ground they won't be able to path anywhere and just keep there until something interrupts them. They are part of the Fortress Defense, so there is no harm in turning them off. I think Furies have the same problem, but everything else should be fine to use.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Octarine Sorcerer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Military acting like civilians
« Reply #1924 on: March 18, 2014, 05:14:59 pm »

Essentially, my military will act like they are civilians. Whoever I assign, from what I can tell. The members of any squad, new or existing, will run away from threats, perform civ jobs, and will appear as whatever their profession icon is, ie farmer. Their ames also do not appear in bold in Dwarf Therapist, even though they are listed as in a squad. Schedule is set to Active, but even changing that has no effect. Have switched equipment, dorfs, barracks, armour stands etc to try to alleviate this, to no effect. Most related issue I could find was for vanilla, and appears to have been resolved by Toady: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1617

I have an inkling that previous events may have caused this - I accidentally breached the third cavern and forgot to wall it up. Floating brain came up, started a fire and got killed by my then-military-commander (He did "look confused" in the battle logs). After that point, my commander went round and killed some people, and everyone was fighting/paranoid, before he got impaled by a miner. Since then, the military hasn't worked in that save. Will upload if requested. Thanks in advance :)
oh if you can upload a save where it's acting up, that would be very helpful!

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8481 Here's the save :) Using v4i, I believe I neglected to mention that. Again, thank you  :P
did you use therapist to assign members to squads, and did you possibly move members from one squad to another?

EDIT: at first i thought it may have been a therapist bug, but it seems ok. there's certainly something strange going on, i see what you mean about them not training, or seem to only train when inactive? hrmm..

I did use therapist to remove them from squads, but only after the weird stuff started. No member has been moved squads as far as I know - the plan was to have Kib the swordslord train up Dishmab the farmer, with them forming the first squad. Nurom was added to see if he was affected.

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: March 19, 2014, 09:36:16 am »

I didn't use therapist at all to assign squads and got the bug.

For me it could only be down to castes or burrows (a civ alert that covered the fortress but not above ground). I only had a two man squad to start with and it already wasn't working properly. However later squads were also bugged, with members not belonging to any caste.

Dark Archon

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mathematician
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: March 19, 2014, 10:57:37 am »

Magma blast furnace is useless unless you play with ore processor - it doesn't take hematite bearing rock to make iron. Also, I have suspicions that melting hematite bearing rock gives you less bars even if you turn off slag pit and ore processor.
Maybe you are dreaming right now.

"Meh, what's scientific progress without a few dead planets?"

Octarine Sorcerer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: March 19, 2014, 11:25:22 am »

I didn't use therapist at all to assign squads and got the bug.

For me it could only be down to castes or burrows (a civ alert that covered the fortress but not above ground). I only had a two man squad to start with and it already wasn't working properly. However later squads were also bugged, with members not belonging to any caste.
I hadn't thought of castes - I believe the dorf I originally replaced my commander with was in the wrestlers guild (Dishmab for any looking at the save), so I second that for consideration. I hadn't set any burrows at all though, and civilian alert was left as-is

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #1928 on: March 19, 2014, 11:27:21 am »

Magma blast furnace is useless unless you play with ore processor - it doesn't take hematite bearing rock to make iron. Also, I have suspicions that melting hematite bearing rock gives you less bars even if you turn off slag pit and ore processor.
yeah there's quite a few issues like this, where some options should really be disabling or enabling other options (ie. option A requires option B first)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:32:00 am by splinterz »

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: March 20, 2014, 06:43:03 am »

Has anyone been able to farm on irrigated stone, the "dusting of mud" that is left behind?  I've tried a half-dozen mountain embarks that only allowed kobold bulbs and nothing else.  This never happened before 4i although I may not have tried since 3x. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: March 20, 2014, 09:17:19 am »

@jimboo that was never possible and is pure vanilla behaviour. Mountain BIOME does not allow those crops, so you will be unable to grow them there. This is entirely independent from the irrigation issue but simply a biome thing. (as certain crops can not grow on glaciers etc)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: March 20, 2014, 10:11:07 am »

Except, those plants WILL grow on soil in mountain biomes, both surface and subterranean (they have to or else there would be nothing growing in the caverns; are glaciers the same way?).  I've embarked Masterwork mountains before and ran irrigation ditches without problem, just not recently.  But then again, I hadn't tried recently until recently in a mountain embark requiring irrigation.  Perhaps there had been a tile of clay or soil in those previous mountains that I simply wasn't aware of.     
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Dark Archon

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mathematician
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: March 27, 2014, 03:46:10 am »

Also, I have suspicions that melting hematite bearing rock gives you less bars even if you turn off slag pit and ore processor.
Confirm that, hematite bearing rock shows only 20% chance to get a iron bar.
Maybe you are dreaming right now.

"Meh, what's scientific progress without a few dead planets?"

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: March 27, 2014, 05:41:08 pm »

What's wrong with orc sieges? First time a bunch of orcs show up(10 of them) and laid a siege. Except...they don't attack, they're just lighting fires and staring at the wide open gates. Then one of my soldier dwarfs decided to look for provisions outside of the fort for no reason and he went for the orcs...they didn't attack him and are instead getting wrecked by that lone dude...he's killing them one by one... Eventually as more dwarfs arrive the orcs start to react and a sorcerer moves away from the pack and casts spells of decay and attacks and all that, but they're mostly keeping to themselves ...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 05:45:22 pm by MerkerBenson »

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: March 27, 2014, 07:49:47 pm »

Each race sieges differently. Humans also wait outside and block trade. Orcs are there for honor and glory. They will engage individually. So it's not uncommon for them to fight your first dwarf 1 on 1 for glory then react to a larger force with them all fighting. The camp fire is pretty much them having a party with the warband. If you had waited long enough they would have eventually stopped the party and attacked through the gate.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 142