Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 142

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Bug reports and known issues.  (Read 190703 times)

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Bug reports and known issues.
« Reply #465 on: July 18, 2013, 06:26:00 am »

Im not sure if this is a bug or intentional but "Atir Kivishavuz, Guild Apprentice baby has transformed into a masons guild dwarf."

Happened after his mother got herself masons guild training but with a delay between the two "graduations". I hope its intentional to be honest as it seems incredibly Dwarven.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: July 18, 2013, 06:30:19 am »

Was mentioned twice already.
Its a bug with the current transformation system.
Same applies to other multiple creatures being in the same tile (running make hellfire turret with 10 toolkits in the workshop yields 1-4 turrets)
Iirc, Meph said that the new version will not do that.

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 18, 2013, 03:04:41 pm »

In my testing, the fix for the wrong dwarf being affected by the autosyndrome is to make the changes suggested by drayath in this post. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125628.msg4242931;topicseen#msg4242931.

version: 3.0c
Tileset: Meph's of course

To test it, I did a find/replace on [SYN_CLASS:\WORKER_ONLY][SYN_CLASS:\WORKER_ONLY]  (why's it in there twice?) and replaced with [SYN_CLASS:\COMMAND][SYN_CLASS:\WORKER_ONLY].  File changed is inorganic_guild.txt.

I then added all of the guild/military reactions to the Patch of Grass building and removed the associated reagent of gold.

The result:  44 dwarfs in fort; 31 have joined a guild with no spill over syndromes; no babies yet, so can't verify that. Reactions were all done in a high traffic area.

Possible bug that will be hard to reproduce:  At one point, a number of the new guild members came out of the reaction with bonuses and penalties in the 100,000's.  All of them were transitioning between game saves, and after reloading the most recent save, the transition was once again OK.  EDIT: Forgot to mention; they didn't actually have any actual benefit from the increased %. May actually be an issue with Therapist instead, as my new Priest had only penalties and no bonuses.

Another possible bug: dwarf's "rescued" by an Armoks Ward don't seem to be able to join a guild. Could be fixed once the Armok reaction is converted to syndrome instead of the vapor-type.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 06:15:07 pm by Billy Jack »
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 18, 2013, 03:51:21 pm »

Righty! Bug update time. Going to list off all the bugs/issues I've encountered in 3.c to date. Some are likely reported, yes, but I prefer to make a full, tidy list to make it easier instead of pick it apart. :)

Tileset: Matrix

Version: 3.c

No extra mods or modifications to raw. Clean Install.

Temperature is OFF due to the HUGE fps difference it gives (upwards of 200+ fps...)

~*~ Bugs ~*~

~ turning off grazing in the menu does NOT work. ON or OFF does not change it - all animals who require grazing, always will. (sure this is reported).

~ Gnomes are said to not siege, but as discussed prior, they will siege if their diplomat and/or traders die once or twice. They seem extremely aggressive in this aspect. (though I can't deny, it's hilarious seeing midgets riding war tigers with guns into battle :P).

~ Automatons seem to be semi-broken. They ambush correct, and shoot - but soon as they run out of bullets, they simply stand there. They dont come after any target that's viable if not in direct aggro range (say 10-12 blocks), nor do they retreat even if they lost half their 'group' - they just wait, and stand there.

~ This is a hard one to explain, but basically if you have say a straight wall with a unit around the corner of it, siegers will 'flee' from it when they come around and see it. Scarecrows used to spot ambushes for example, I had a beak wolf siege of 100+ fleeing back and forth from a scarecrow (used many creatures to make sure it wasn't just scarecrows) directly around a bend. Almost all races do this that i've seen, beyond the ambushing sieges which seems to ignore this. Only normal sieges seem to cause this. I can setup an example in game, and upload the fort to show it properly if requested.

~ The 'tanner' shop requires diplomacy to setup. To 'tan' skins, it requires leatherworking skill. I can't recall if this was a 'vanilla issue he couldn't change', but thought i'd mention it.

~ The function 'No corpses' in the start menu, does NOT work. It seems to disable itself each reboot as well.

~ The 'War Beasts' button as well, seems broken (I remember reading he was altering dragons and such for them - so I assume he's removing them/redoing them, but again, thought I'd note this).

~ transform msg in the start menu - set to NO does not seem to work. NO or YES I get pop ups in game that for me to relocate to it, and hit enter to close it. The game does not pause either way.

~ Archeologist 'excavate stones' generates relics, chests, and other items that are unopenable or usable in any form.

~ 'Less Solid Stone' option in the start menu causes chalk, a valuable flux, to turn into smoke making it impossible to use as a flux.

~ 'Harder Mining' states in tool tip, it only adds warpstone/dust. I've seen it also adds the hidden monsters like balrogs as well, which I had read was removed a while ago. It's quite misleading and terrifying to new players who encounter such 'FUN!' unexpectedly.

~ 'Gold bag of loot' seem to unopenable by the reaction in the researchers building as reported by others. As well, it seems only goblin or kobold thieves drop bags - not other races. (not sure if it matters, but yes).

~ Marbles value in game, shows as 3 - the price of normal stones, instead of  6, like flux stones are supposed to be.

~ 'Sacrifice a life to armok' does not seem to actually kill the dwarf, and can be spammed like crazy for infinite weapons.

~*~ Issues ~*~

~ Glass forges reaction to create 'blocks' only generates 1 block per glass. If you take the glass, and cut it in a jewelcrafters shop, then a gem workshop, you get 4 per glass, and doesn't cost fuel or such resources to do - making the block creation reaction for glass furnaces, useless. (need to confirm this, but 99% certain from my limited testing this is true).

~ The priority for your leader/mayor/etc, to conduct a meeting with diplomats is... just silly. He prioritizes CLEANING over talking to a diplomat. I know they're unbearable, but this makes trying to get a liason dealt with before they leave unhappy, quite a pain in the backside unless you make your mayor/leader just sit in his office, doing nothing, ever. (even then, 90% of the time he's drinking ,eating, on break, or sleeping like a lazy bugger :P). If it's possible, please for the love of all that is holy, up the 'priority' of meetings >.<

~ Is there perhaps a way to disable combat logs showing people 'puking'? It really serves no purpose, and when an enemy is hit in the stomach, or for my example, evil rain causes nausea, it literally spams the combat log non-stop wiping out my combat logs and non-combat messages (they seem to share a cap, like 300 message before it deletes old ones) making it a nightmare to keep track of actual worrying combat and important events going on, due to the spam of them puking 200+ times. :P

~*~ imbalances ~*~

~ Warlocks (as likely has been discussed) need their new 'decay' spell drastically altered. I've had events where warlocks are still hidden and 30+ blocks away (according to the map showing where the spell was cast vs where my dwarf was), casting decay on dozens of my guys without any clue they were even there. This pretty much caused my fort to collapse, and the ambush never did reveal itself. By the time I had my military in action, they were rotting apart. The spell needs to be changed, or drastically limited in range it can cast (and reveals the warlocks if they cast it).

~ Brass Golems, are still INCREDIBLY over powered. I activated 8 sword variations earlier I acquired from merchants, and they have wiped out entire sieges of 100+ with just them. Each has around 90 kills, even though they're basically destroyed (everything is broken almost). They are incredibly hard to kill as well. Only Mega beasts have a real chance to slay them, and even then, they've taken down 4 frost wyrms single handed without even being touched. I play with 'Invader mat boost' - YES, so the enemies are coming in steel or similar armor, and still, these guys win. They took on a full blown frost GIANT ambush of 20+, while red and broken, and killed 18 of the frost giants before the last 2 fled! The strongest enemy in game for sieges, and 6 (at that point) crippled golems took them out...

What I find puzzling here, even steel weaponry has trouble vs frost giants and harming them, yet their brass sword arms, are cutting through them with ease (lobbing limbs off and such). I wonder if a variable for their weapons isn't being called right?

As well, they seem to lack a real 'fatal' spot. Only time I see them killed, is when something literally hacks their head off, and due to their bulk, that's really only frost giants, or when they have 40+ siegers with steel items on them, and they're all alone. I know, don't use them then! I don't intend to after this fort. But I thought I would point this out.

~ Nymphs, Lepracauns, Gnolls, and such creatures. Yes, I've whined about this prior. And I shall continue to do so! Guard animals, turrets, and other defenses DO NOT attack many of these thieving creatures. They WILL attack dwarves, run past guard animals, grab artifacts, and run away with it. They are impossible to catch, and the only counter I've found that works in any form (assuming they don't just dodge it >.>...) is weapon traps. It's such a great joy when you embark, and see 12 units, all 12 being nymphs or Kea's or such, who then steal all your tools while your 20+ mastiffs do nothing but sit there and watch.

~ Siegers. One major flaw I've encountered with siegers, is their inability to use armor that covers their entire body. You may argue 'that's fine, it protects everything vital!' - yet if you cut off their arm or leg, they will bleed out quite quickly and die from this. Example, I setup a bunch of green glass serrated disc traps (green glass costs nothing with magma - and is infinite with sand) with +invader material boost. A legion of ferric elves arrived in bronze-to-steel tier armor. The discs hit their armor, and didn't do a damn thing... but it did hit their hands, shins, feet, and slice them clean off - promptly killing the siegers. I killed 4 full squads (40 or so) of them, with just a bunch of cheap glass discs, while they were in steel tier armor. Just weapon traps, nothing special. There's a similar issue with arrows like broadhead bolts, they're amazing vs flesh - total ass vs armor. But all you need is a few shots and you'll take their hands and/or legs off, and kill them by bleeding (or effectively... dis-arm them? ;P). No need to make armor-piercing arrows or anything. 5 dwarves with a good stockpile of these, even just iron material, will decimate practically anything in the game bar frost giants from my experience. I know it would 'increase their difficulty' - but the only arguement other wise, is not to not use special arrows, not use traps, not use this, not use that... just seems kind of silly to remove so many parts of the game, just to have a challenge, rather then force you to think outside the box to survive and win.

~ Harder Farming and Food in general. While this is a nifty addition to add challenge, as I've stated before - above surface crops seem to grow each season, rather then every two season. As well, without a way to limit the amount of plots a person can grow - they can negate the challenge of this by mass producing farm plots. You can argue 'don't do that then!' - sure. Which brings me to my point. The ease of food in general.

Hunting. This is probably the most dangerous/inviable method for food gathering, due to volatile animals like drakes, or evil maps with all their FUN like Nightwings, Giant gargoyles, and such creatures your huntards go after like typical Urists.

Breeding. Arguably the easiest way to get food in the game. Mass breed some useless, fast breeding animal like moleweasels, dogs, etc, and you have literally infinite food, leather, and bones. No need to farm at all. I have this often as a side effect of using some mastiffs for early 'protection' in evil biomes, trying to just catch up to the bloody swarm of puppies they pop 2-3 times a year >.<

Farming. It's more intense for time, but again, you can setup infinite fields underground safely away from any threat, even if it takes a year to mature - if you get 2000-3000 plants (dramatic number), it negates the difficulty of food, and harder farming, entirely. Yes, I know you'll argue (like many points) - don't do it then!

Fishing. Fishing is actually pretty balanced. It's not 'very fast' to use, and has additional steps to clean them and make them edible. As well, fishers are generally exposed to dangers (as naturally, you need to fish above ground, or in caverns), and the speed of food is very tame - viable, but far from unbalanced. Fish farms offer protection from the outside, but are slower and more consuming for materials (for nets and such). I feel fishing is arguably the most balanced of all the food systems at current.

Herbalism. Many say it's a useless skill, but from clearing a 3x3 map with 3-4 herbalists, I can gather around 150-500 plants (depending on the map 'density' of plants) in one sweep, and by the time I finish (usually a season and a bit with 10+ skill), they're already regrowing so it's an infinite food source. You will argue sieges, and such are the counter to it - definitely!... Until you dig out a dirt layer and accidentally break into a cavern. The first caverns 'plants' are full of plump helms and useful plants, even trees, making the need to cut wood or gather above ground, totally moot. You can argue again, not to do this - but inevitably you will dig into the caverns and trigger this to some extent.

I know saying 'remove all these and make them super duper hard!' is silly. What I propose though, since Meph has been leaning to adding more danger internally, is add in various 'fun events'. Herbalism underground plants, having rare chances to have 'bad' plants grow spawning evil mushroom men from plump helms, or Being pricked by some kind of deadly plant that puts a dwarf into a multi-year slumber, or similar kinds of events. Of course, I would argue if something like that is done, it should be optional like the wraiths and such for harder mining. This would help counter balance farming and herbalism. Fishing is balanced (imo), Hunting I'd argue needs a buff due to the dangers of it (generally, some biomes are great for it).

Breeding is a real pickle to tackle. The only thing I can imagine is making it so each animal can breed only once in its life (once it gives birth, trigger the 'sterilization' syndrome on it), with litters how they are now (1-4 usually for most animals, meaning they can still be useful for a meat industry and such quite easily). This would keep meat viable - but balance out the insane amount some animals can produce.

~ Undead. While I know undead only occur dangerously so in evil biomes, evil biomes are the 'end game' of the game. The issue is, undead are simply too strong. Not in their raw abilities, but in the simple fact - you can't stop them. beat one down, it reanimates before someone can haul it and dump or burn it, and then kills that dwarf hauling it. I've had feet reanimate, and one shot dwarves, even skin for crying outloud. Disposing of them isn't really a 'challenge' as much as it is silly and unbalanced with the only viable solution is atom smashing them - which is in itself, a bug.

Mithril runes on weapons/traps/etc CAN indeed kill them, but mithril is extremely rare on most maps and hard to mass produce for runes. Ordering it is difficult as well, especially as you'll likely need a good hundred or two hundred bars to properly defend all the possible avenues undead may approach you from (inside and out), and this isn't counting the horror when you kill a 90+ man siege, and all of those buggers resurrect!

So I propose, for the 'undead killing' recipe - make it use silver instead. It fits into classical anti-undead lore, silver is fairly rare, but common enough to be used in larger scale events to handle them - while still leaving the danger of undead. One death in your fort could be your end, and even a dozen traps can't stop a revived 'siege' from trashing you. This just makes it more viable to deal with them. Undead are, and will continue to be, a terrifying threat with their insane strength and other factors, I feel this change would make it 'just right' for challenge vs nuisance.

And I think I'll stop here. I'll continue to update this post (Erasing my old one) and keep all information up to date here. Yes yes, I know a lot of what I said/mentioned has been reported and discussed, or that many people will say 'don't use it then' - but I doubt that's very helpful if we want to see Masterwork become more balanced and feature rich for ALL walks of players and skill. :)

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 18, 2013, 03:56:25 pm »

Thanks for making a big post about the bugs SabbyKat, but I seem to recall to not being able to make blocks from cut glass. There is no such reaction in the glass buildings except the glass furnace.

I also dont think much can be done with gold bags of loot. They dont drop from theives, the drop from Kobolds. I'm sure if you could ever get ambushes from them, they'd drop them as well. I dont know if there is actaully a way around this, thief is a profession, not a separate caste.

Job priority is a vanilla issue, not much can be done about that.

Completely agree about item thieves

Petrified wood, is in fact an IRL hard rock. I doubt you'd find it as a good fuel source.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 04:06:15 pm by Z1000000m »

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
« Reply #470 on: July 19, 2013, 12:01:35 am »

~ Gnomes are said to not siege, but as discussed prior, they will siege if their diplomat and/or traders die once or twice. They seem extremely aggressive in this aspect. (though I can't deny, it's hilarious seeing midgets riding war tigers with guns into battle :P).

The only Gnome siege I've has was just 1 pistol armed squad and 1 steelclad horse. They didn't hurt anyone. Your experience may be unique to your game (or mine could be).

~ 'Sacrifice a life to armok' does not seem to actually kill the dwarf, and can be spammed like crazy for infinite weapons.
This is probably because you have temperature off. It is stated that it is required for full functionality. If you turn it off it is reasonable to expect some things not to function. This may be the cause of some of the other bugs you reported.

~ Glass forges reaction to create 'blocks' only generates 1 block per glass. If you take the glass, and cut it in a jewelcrafters shop, then a gem workshop, you get 4 per glass, and doesn't cost fuel or such resources to do - making the block creation reaction for glass furnaces, useless. (need to confirm this, but 99% certain from my limited testing this is true).
I see no such reaction in the glassforge.
~ Siegers. One major flaw I've encountered with siegers, is their inability to use armor that covers their entire body. You may argue 'that's fine, it protects everything vital!' - yet if you cut off their arm or leg, they will bleed out quite quickly and die from this. Example, I setup a bunch of green glass serrated disc traps (green glass costs nothing with magma - and is infinite with sand) with +invader material boost. A legion of ferric elves arrived in bronze-to-steel tier armor. The discs hit their armor, and didn't do a damn thing... but it did hit their hands, shins, feet, and slice them clean off - promptly killing the siegers.
As I understand it, the reasoning is to prevent you ending up with siegers x2 gauntlets and siegers x2 boots of metal to melt down.

~ Undead. While I know undead only occur dangerously so in evil biomes, evil biomes are the 'end game' of the game. The issue is, undead are simply too strong. Not in their raw abilities, but in the simple fact - you can't stop them. beat one down, it reanimates before someone can haul it and dump or burn it, and then kills that dwarf hauling it. I've had feet reanimate, and one shot dwarves, even skin for crying outloud. Disposing of them isn't really a 'challenge' as much as it is silly and unbalanced with the only viable solution is atom smashing them - which is in itself, a bug.
Have you tried mines, or turrets? Placed in a cage they can be launched from catapults. Also siege weapons have fire and exploding ammo. Neither may work with temp off.
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 19, 2013, 07:31:02 am »

No, the gnome sieges are a commonplace bug. It was quite annoying too see that half of the time i got sieged, it was them. They are annoyance incarnate. They use powerful weaponry, they always ride animals and run away after expending ammo. They only come in bullet flavor, so enjoy your dead marksdwaves. Not alot of usefull materials from them either.

Szarrukin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 19, 2013, 09:50:19 am »

Every time I try to use embassy, dfhack says "Caravan, diplomat and siege require a civ unit to be highlighted." Why? What does it exactly mean?

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 19, 2013, 10:18:58 am »

The result:  44 dwarfs in fort; 31 have joined a guild with no spill over syndromes; no babies yet, so can't verify that. Reactions were all done in a high traffic area.

Try this to stress test it: place a meeting hall zone on top of the guild hall and idle your workers so the place is packed.  I saw about 90% mis-application of the syndrome when I tried that last.

Possible bug that will be hard to reproduce:  At one point, a number of the new guild members came out of the reaction with bonuses and penalties in the 100,000's.  All of them were transitioning between game saves, and after reloading the most recent save, the transition was once again OK.  EDIT: Forgot to mention; they didn't actually have any actual benefit from the increased %. May actually be an issue with Therapist instead, as my new Priest had only penalties and no bonuses.

Yes, I've seen this too!  Although not quite so drastic, but Therapist was reporting bonus/penalties that I knew couldn't be true.  They went away when I closed/restarted Therapist, so I figured it was Therapist.

Temperature is OFF due to the HUGE fps difference it gives (upwards of 200+ fps...)

Ouch... great bug report but as people mentioned this will cause problems.  Specifically, I'm pretty sure bag of loot reaction works and Sacrifice life works (but can target wrong people).

~ Warlocks (as likely has been discussed) need their new 'decay' spell drastically altered. I've had events where warlocks are still hidden and 30+ blocks away (according to the map showing where the spell was cast vs where my dwarf was), casting decay on dozens of my guys without any clue they were even there. This pretty much caused my fort to collapse, and the ambush never did reveal itself. By the time I had my military in action, they were rotting apart. The spell needs to be changed, or drastically limited in range it can cast (and reveals the warlocks if they cast it).

I'd like to see Warlocks continue to be badasses (they drop very valuable items after all), but this decay spell is a real headache.  Mentally I had already prepared for warlock sieges this last time around, setting up defenses that allowed my marksdwarves to attack from range outside the decay range, but then I got a single necro-warlock thief creeping around my map.  The dude necrotized most of an incoming caravan single-handedly, handfuls of random dwarves that wandered too close, and the whole dogpile of mastiffs at the front gate.  I couldn't bear to send my precious military squad out to blindly look for him and potentially get decimated.  So I got the bright idea to recruit single, useless dwarves and armor them up and send them out.  The problem is, the necro would decay my scout before my scout could find him, and the scout would give up and head to the overflowing and miasma-laden hospital. 

In the end, a moleweasel uncovered the f*&ker.  Moleweasels turn out to make great anti-thief defense because they are so ridiculously fast and rambunctious (when not pastured). 

~ Brass Golems, are still INCREDIBLY over powered. I activated 8 sword variations earlier I acquired from merchants, and they have wiped out entire sieges of 100+ with just them. Each has around 90 kills, even though they're basically destroyed (everything is broken almost). They are incredibly hard to kill as well. Only Mega beasts have a real chance to slay them, and even then, they've taken down 4 frost wyrms single handed without even being touched. I play with 'Invader mat boost' - YES, so the enemies are coming in steel or similar armor, and still, these guys win. They took on a full blown frost GIANT ambush of 20+, while red and broken, and killed 18 of the frost giants before the last 2 fled! The strongest enemy in game for sieges, and 6 (at that point) crippled golems took them out...

Yeah, my golems end up the same way - everything red, yet still trucking and still killing.  I think they do end up with weapons broken but that just slows them a little.  On the opposite side of the spectrum, my Stone Decoys seem to get one-shot with ease.  I don't even bother with them anymore.  I agree Golems need some balancing.  a

~ Nymphs, Lepracauns, Gnolls, and such creatures. Yes, I've whined about this prior. And I shall continue to do so! Guard animals, turrets, and other defenses DO NOT attack many of these thieving creatures. They WILL attack dwarves, run past guard animals, grab artifacts, and run away with it. They are impossible to catch, and the only counter I've found that works in any form (assuming they don't just dodge it >.>...) is weapon traps. It's such a great joy when you embark, and see 12 units, all 12 being nymphs or Kea's or such, who then steal all your tools while your 20+ mastiffs do nothing but sit there and watch.

Since these creatures still actively 'fear' dwarf-friendly units, an effective counter I've been using at embark is to immediate pasture your animals in 1x1's pastures tightly about the wagon.  The thing is the creatures seem to check for 'fear' periodically, and they are so fast that they can get through gaps and steal stuff before the next fear-check.  So form a tight enough perimeter of non-moving guard animals, and you'll catch their fear check every time before they can get in.  Personally I'd like to see either the speed of those units decreased (many slow thieves), or their numbers decreased (1-2 fast thieves).
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 19, 2013, 12:15:50 pm »

Ah, yes the stone decoys are pretty pathetic for what they are supposed to be used as.
I swear, as oppposed to other things, where noone every hits anything except shins and buts, they always get hit in the head or get limbs chopped off.
I find it hard to believe that an arrow could bisect a stone statue.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 19, 2013, 03:51:42 pm »

Every time I try to use embassy, dfhack says "Caravan, diplomat and siege require a civ unit to be highlighted." Why? What does it exactly mean?

Meph may have goofed up the arguments a bit.

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 20, 2013, 02:18:04 am »

I am getting a ton of spam in the dfhack window, the message:
E:\dfapi\plugins\autoSyndrome.cpp line 284: Couldn't find unit -1.
about once a second. It seems continuously reattempt any failures, as the world gets older it gets worse and worse. Is there any way to abort the failed attempts so it will stop trying to find the unit? Deconstruct the building or something like that? What actually host the autoSyndrome command?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #477 on: July 20, 2013, 11:22:12 am »

silentdeth: Autosyndrome is used for all boiling-rock reactions, for every reaction that applies a syndrome. A few hundret. I cant say whats causing this error message for you.

Z1000000m: Stone Decoys should be pretty sturdy, but I can have a look... or remove them. They are one of the first things I ever wrote. Gnome sieges shouldnt happen, but apparently I cant make them eternally friendly, so I might just flesh out the race a bit more... give them a fighting chance.

Billy Jack: I think I already employ this fix in my current working version, but I will check. I hope that the baby/mother transformation for guilds and military can be fixed with it. But I dont write the C++ script, so I have no idea. I simply have to make good use of the tools the dfhack team enables. ;)

Werdna: If you have a good idea how to balance the golem, I am all ears. I wanted to make them bleed to death, but that did not quite seem to work. It is hard to find a good balance for them. Warlocks will drastically change in future versions, since I can do a lot more "magical" stuff now. I want to give them a few more abilities, and take away the undeads and friendly fire.

Szarrukin&Putnam: It means that the civ you are trying to call does not exist. The syntax is correct on all of them, no worries, its just that you might try to call a drow diplomat in a world without drow... or any other race.

Sabbykat: Grazing button works for me. The other three, corpses, transformation message and warbeasts show errors depending on how you toggled which... I will fix those, two of them can be deleted anyway, I'd only keep the transformation message one.

~ Archeologist 'excavate stones' generates relics, chests, and other items that are unopenable or usable in any form.
I cant replicate that bug, and the raws seem fine.

~ 'Less Solid Stone' option in the start menu causes chalk, a valuable flux, to turn into smoke making it impossible to use as a flux.
This is intended.

~ The 'tanner' shop requires diplomacy to setup. To 'tan' skins, it requires leatherworking skill. I can't recall if this was a 'vanilla issue he couldn't change', but thought i'd mention it.
This is known, and I sadly cant fix it. I managed to circumnavigate a similar problem in the millstone/quern, but I cant do that with the tanner... its hardcoded.

~ 'Gold bag of loot' seem to unopenable by the reaction in the researchers building as reported by others. As well, it seems only goblin or kobold thieves drop bags - not other races. (not sure if it matters, but yes).
All kobolds drop this bag, and I know for sure that the reaction works. Its probably the burrows bug, with the bag being outside the burrow that your workshop is build in. I know 100% that the reaction is fine.

~ Marbles value in game, shows as 3 - the price of normal stones, instead of  6, like flux stones are supposed to be.
Marble is an ubiqutious layer of flux, no longer clusters. To compensate the high amount of marble, I did reduce the value. Its intended.

Again, I know it works. Temperature off might have something to do with it, but several official succession forts have sacrificed people on the temple, me personally being responsible for most of those deaths.

~ 'Harder Mining' states in tool tip, it only adds warpstone/dust. I've seen it also adds the hidden monsters like balrogs as well, which I had read was removed a while ago. It's quite misleading and terrifying to new players who encounter such 'FUN!' unexpectedly.
Valid point, the tooltip is quite outdated.

Glass - I cant access the hardcoded reactions in the glass furnace.
Meetings - I cant alter the AI behaviour. I usually just disable all his labor with the therapist for the time of meetings.
Combat Logs - Nope, again, I cant change if puking shows up or not. Hardcoded.

~ Nymphs, Lepracauns, Gnolls, and such creatures.
 - How do you suppose I can fix that? Any token/tags handy that I could slap on them, to make them more hostile?

~ Siegers. One major flaw I've encountered with siegers, is their inability to use armor that covers their entire body.
 - I removed 4 items, 2 boots and 2 gloves. 100 siegers = 400 items less = 400 metal bars less you get. It helps FPS quite a bit, and I stay with it. I recently discovered that invaders without burnable items are almost immune to fire, while invaders with at least one burnable items died. Most noticable with goblin melee-units and goblin ranged-units, carrying cloth/silk quivers. All quiver-wearers died in a fire, the melee-goblins prevailed. So I might give them back a single item of clothing, for the fire to start... but otherwise greaves, breastplate, helm and shield has to be enough. I wont double the itemcount from 4 to 8, just for hands and feet. If combat is too easy, enable more invaders. Most people dont seem to think that invasions are too easy to defeat, especially since you can toggle +5 combat skills and the materials to some degree. I could however make this an optional setting, the full-armor for all. But even if I enable it, it is not 100% sure that every invader will always be fully armored.

~ Harder Farming and Food in general.
 - I dont see the problem. Yes, surface farming is almost as fast as in vanilla, but surface area is limited and more dangerous as underground, and it is limited to spring/summer. Crops planted in autumn will wither, crops cant be planted in winter. Therefore you get max. 2x the food from surface farms. Yes, you get it fast, but only in spring/summer. Thats the entire point. Underground food takes longer, but come regularily and safely once a year. I wont make farming even slower.

Breeding - I wouldnt know how to make it harder. I cant add grazing to carnivorous animals... the only thing I can do is lower the littersize, or add very odd interactions to simulate sicknesses and whatnot to slow breeding. But I cant think of a reasonable way of making it more realistic, like the need for food and water. In short, I cant alter animal breeding all that much. Making them sterile after a while is a possible way, but there is no logical reason why they should become sterile... the problem is spores and the fact that one male dog on one end of the screen impregnates 100 female dogs in a locked room, without food or water. Its only FPS that stops people from abusing this all too much.

Fishing. I personally think that fishing is vastly overpowered, spawning unlimited food from a little pond that can be walled off, but again, I cant alter fishing all that much. I can only affect the rate with which dwarves learn fishing, thats about it.

Herbalism underground plants, having rare chances to have 'bad' plants grow spawning evil mushroom men from plump helms, or Being pricked by some kind of deadly plant that puts a dwarf into a multi-year slumber, or similar kinds of events.
Cant be done. I can do plants that have weird syndrome when eaten (wild mushrooms = bad), but people wouldnt appreciate the randomness behind it. I tried that with trees, it did not go down well. I cant do creatures from plants btw, but I can do creatures from felling trees... if I want to make herbalism harder I would have to add duplicates of plants with the same name but different ID and effect, and that would cause confusion in all the farming menus and stockpile menus... I will see if I can think of somethink, but currently I have no idea how I could do this.

~ Undead. [make it use silver instead.]
 - Mithril is already being made from silver and steel. Undeads will also be kill-able by temple and priest reactions/interactions in future, and I know that Toady will implement a new damage system for them in the next version, that undeads are completely destroyed if you hurt them enough. At least I remember reading about it. The new magic system should also offer a few solutions. All in all I dont think they are too strong, its just that the civilians are too scared to effectively run a fortress in an area full of undeads. I usually deal with them in form of channels, hatches and doors. Lock them away, out of sight, out of mind.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 20, 2013, 12:25:29 pm »

silentdeth: Autosyndrome is used for all boiling-rock reactions, for every reaction that applies a syndrome. A few hundret. I cant say whats causing this error message for you.
I beilive most of the errors come from the fact that one of my lifemancers was a bard without me noticing. So when I put play the speed song on repeat he stepped up and started to play, but I guess a lifemancer is not a valid target for the transformation, so he never transformed, just kept playing. Without the transformation he skilled up quickly and must have played the song hundreds of times as he is now a legendary bard. I just want to know if there is any way to cancel the autosyndrome order so it will stop looking and spamming me with errors. All of the reactions he ran keep trying to find him, even though months have passed in game. Even if I burrow everyone and tell them to do nothing it still spams errors.

Breeding - I wouldnt know how to make it harder. I cant add grazing to carnivorous animals...
What happens if you turn on grazing for an animal and give it the SPECIFIC_FOOD tag(s) specifying a creature? Will it get hungry then eat the specified creatures? I was thinking of trying to use that for an idea I had for the undead race.

Noin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 20, 2013, 01:16:03 pm »

I am having trouble with magma steam engine - I tried everything and it still shows me "needs magma at any of the 8 boundary tiles". I did everything to the letter, stairway and all - how do you guys even get these things to work?
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 142