Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 142

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Bug reports and known issues.  (Read 190672 times)

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Bug reports and known issues.
« Reply #480 on: July 20, 2013, 01:47:02 pm »

Billy Jack: I think I already employ this fix in my current working version, but I will check. I hope that the baby/mother transformation for guilds and military can be fixed with it. But I dont write the C++ script, so I have no idea. I simply have to make good use of the tools the dfhack team enables. ;)

If your current working version is 3c then the entry of [SYN_CLASS:\WORKER_ONLY][SYN_CLASS:\WORKER_ONLY] is still there without the [SYN_CLASS:\COMMAND].

Any thoughts on someone being cured by the Armoks Ward not being able to join a guild?  Anyone see this?
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 20, 2013, 03:23:22 pm »

I don't know if anyone else has talked about this, but I'm having trouble with blade weed. It doesn't show up in my kitchen stock screen, and so I can't convince my dwarves to cook it, which would be necessary to make it edible.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 20, 2013, 06:42:13 pm »

Actually, Meph what would help with the glassfurnace is just giving the same reactions to the glassforge, but making it use cut/uncut glass instead of sand and other things.

I don't know if anyone else has talked about this, but I'm having trouble with blade weed. It doesn't show up in my kitchen stock screen, and so I can't convince my dwarves to cook it, which would be necessary to make it edible.

For me, whole food interface keeps getting screwed up. Items missing as you descibed, plants staying at 0 even though its above 1000, doubtful it is a mdf issue.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 07:34:53 pm by Z1000000m »

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
« Reply #483 on: July 21, 2013, 09:37:24 pm »

I am getting a ton of spam in the dfhack window, the message:
E:\dfapi\plugins\autoSyndrome.cpp line 284: Couldn't find unit -1.
about once a second. It seems continuously reattempt any failures, as the world gets older it gets worse and worse.
More info: Upon deconstructing my taverns I got the error "No unit is selected in the UI or context is not supported" 30-40 times and decreasing the spam from the autoSyndrome error above.

Upon deconstructing my fountain of eternal youth I got the error "Forgetting job # (CustomReaction): holder building lost." 5 times. At this fountain I had previously tried to have a legionnaire dwarf swim in it to heal, and it had no effect.

Upon deconstructing my libraries 60 errors of the type  "Forgetting job # (CustomReaction): holder building lost." specifically out of 24 libraries of war the error were limited to two buildings, one gave 44 errors the other 11; of 6 libraries of crafting 1 building gave 5 errors, none for the others.

I am now no longer getting any messages about E:\dfapi\plugins\autoSyndrome.cpp line 284: Couldn't find unit -1.
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 22, 2013, 02:37:52 am »

You have to Process Blade Weeds to bags first.  Then you can cook the leaves. You can use workflow's material selection to make sure you are processing Blade Weeds. Alt-A, material, Plant, short list of plants available for bag processing.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 22, 2013, 09:12:46 am »

Upon deconstructing my fountain of eternal youth I got the error "Forgetting job # (CustomReaction): holder building lost." 5 times. At this fountain I had previously tried to have a legionnaire dwarf swim in it to heal, and it had no effect.
About the fountain - I tried using it multiple times and it never worked, regardless of caste.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 22, 2013, 10:39:10 am »

You have to Process Blade Weeds to bags first.  Then you can cook the leaves. You can use workflow's material selection to make sure you are processing Blade Weeds. Alt-A, material, Plant, short list of plants available for bag processing
Thanks. That worked. I guess that could be made more clear in the manual, which just says it's edible cooked.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 22, 2013, 10:41:33 am »

Werdna: If you have a good idea how to balance the golem, I am all ears. I wanted to make them bleed to death, but that did not quite seem to work. It is hard to find a good balance for them.

Afraid I can offer little help on the golems, just reporting how they currently play.  I think you've already done quite a bit to improve their place in the game - free ones no longer show up with immigrants, and they are quite expensive at the caravan, so they are decently hard to come by.  I haven't played around much with creating one so I can't really comment there but it seems involved enough.  There's just two problems as I see it; they are very deadly and they are nearly unkillable.  I think having one attribute or the other would be perfect - an unkillable machine that can tank blows but not really dish them out (make it slow?) or a deadly killing machine that can get trashed if you're not careful.  Personally, I'd prefer the former - I'd love to have a tank-like creature that I can send into combat first, sort of a shock troop to send in right before my melee squads.  Or perhaps adjust their size?  Maybe its the size that lets them go toe-to-toe with the frost giants and win. 

I'd love to see the Stone Golems stay, if there's any way to improve their durability.  Ideally they'd make a nice temporary defense for enemy archers.  I don't know why but they just don't seem to behave like stone though, they seem nearly as fragile as scarecrows.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 22, 2013, 01:00:28 pm »

Werdna: If you have a good idea how to balance the golem, I am all ears. I wanted to make them bleed to death, but that did not quite seem to work. It is hard to find a good balance for them. Warlocks will drastically change in future versions, since I can do a lot more "magical" stuff now. I want to give them a few more abilities, and take away the undeads and friendly fire.

Sabbykat: Grazing button works for me. The other three, corpses, transformation message and warbeasts show errors depending on how you toggled which... I will fix those, two of them can be deleted anyway, I'd only keep the transformation message one.

~ Archeologist 'excavate stones' generates relics, chests, and other items that are unopenable or usable in any form.
I cant replicate that bug, and the raws seem fine.

~ 'Less Solid Stone' option in the start menu causes chalk, a valuable flux, to turn into smoke making it impossible to use as a flux.
This is intended.

~ The 'tanner' shop requires diplomacy to setup. To 'tan' skins, it requires leatherworking skill. I can't recall if this was a 'vanilla issue he couldn't change', but thought i'd mention it.
This is known, and I sadly cant fix it. I managed to circumnavigate a similar problem in the millstone/quern, but I cant do that with the tanner... its hardcoded.

~ 'Gold bag of loot' seem to unopenable by the reaction in the researchers building as reported by others. As well, it seems only goblin or kobold thieves drop bags - not other races. (not sure if it matters, but yes).
All kobolds drop this bag, and I know for sure that the reaction works. Its probably the burrows bug, with the bag being outside the burrow that your workshop is build in. I know 100% that the reaction is fine.

~ Marbles value in game, shows as 3 - the price of normal stones, instead of  6, like flux stones are supposed to be.
Marble is an ubiqutious layer of flux, no longer clusters. To compensate the high amount of marble, I did reduce the value. Its intended.

~ 'Sacrifice a life to armok' does not seem to actually kill the dwarf, and can be spammed like crazy for infinite weapons.
Again, I know it works. Temperature off might have something to do with it, but several official succession forts have sacrificed people on the temple, me personally being responsible for most of those deaths.

~ 'Harder Mining' states in tool tip, it only adds warpstone/dust. I've seen it also adds the hidden monsters like balrogs as well, which I had read was removed a while ago. It's quite misleading and terrifying to new players who encounter such 'FUN!' unexpectedly.
Valid point, the tooltip is quite outdated.

Glass - I cant access the hardcoded reactions in the glass furnace.
Meetings - I cant alter the AI behaviour. I usually just disable all his labor with the therapist for the time of meetings.
Combat Logs - Nope, again, I cant change if puking shows up or not. Hardcoded.

~ Nymphs, Lepracauns, Gnolls, and such creatures.
 - How do you suppose I can fix that? Any token/tags handy that I could slap on them, to make them more hostile?

~ Siegers. One major flaw I've encountered with siegers, is their inability to use armor that covers their entire body.
 - I removed 4 items, 2 boots and 2 gloves. 100 siegers = 400 items less = 400 metal bars less you get. It helps FPS quite a bit, and I stay with it. I recently discovered that invaders without burnable items are almost immune to fire, while invaders with at least one burnable items died. Most noticable with goblin melee-units and goblin ranged-units, carrying cloth/silk quivers. All quiver-wearers died in a fire, the melee-goblins prevailed. So I might give them back a single item of clothing, for the fire to start... but otherwise greaves, breastplate, helm and shield has to be enough. I wont double the itemcount from 4 to 8, just for hands and feet. If combat is too easy, enable more invaders. Most people dont seem to think that invasions are too easy to defeat, especially since you can toggle +5 combat skills and the materials to some degree. I could however make this an optional setting, the full-armor for all. But even if I enable it, it is not 100% sure that every invader will always be fully armored.

~ Harder Farming and Food in general.
 - I dont see the problem. Yes, surface farming is almost as fast as in vanilla, but surface area is limited and more dangerous as underground, and it is limited to spring/summer. Crops planted in autumn will wither, crops cant be planted in winter. Therefore you get max. 2x the food from surface farms. Yes, you get it fast, but only in spring/summer. Thats the entire point. Underground food takes longer, but come regularily and safely once a year. I wont make farming even slower.

Breeding - I wouldnt know how to make it harder. I cant add grazing to carnivorous animals... the only thing I can do is lower the littersize, or add very odd interactions to simulate sicknesses and whatnot to slow breeding. But I cant think of a reasonable way of making it more realistic, like the need for food and water. In short, I cant alter animal breeding all that much. Making them sterile after a while is a possible way, but there is no logical reason why they should become sterile... the problem is spores and the fact that one male dog on one end of the screen impregnates 100 female dogs in a locked room, without food or water. Its only FPS that stops people from abusing this all too much.

Fishing. I personally think that fishing is vastly overpowered, spawning unlimited food from a little pond that can be walled off, but again, I cant alter fishing all that much. I can only affect the rate with which dwarves learn fishing, thats about it.

Herbalism underground plants, having rare chances to have 'bad' plants grow spawning evil mushroom men from plump helms, or Being pricked by some kind of deadly plant that puts a dwarf into a multi-year slumber, or similar kinds of events.
Cant be done. I can do plants that have weird syndrome when eaten (wild mushrooms = bad), but people wouldnt appreciate the randomness behind it. I tried that with trees, it did not go down well. I cant do creatures from plants btw, but I can do creatures from felling trees... if I want to make herbalism harder I would have to add duplicates of plants with the same name but different ID and effect, and that would cause confusion in all the farming menus and stockpile menus... I will see if I can think of somethink, but currently I have no idea how I could do this.

~ Undead. [make it use silver instead.]
 - Mithril is already being made from silver and steel. Undeads will also be kill-able by temple and priest reactions/interactions in future, and I know that Toady will implement a new damage system for them in the next version, that undeads are completely destroyed if you hurt them enough. At least I remember reading about it. The new magic system should also offer a few solutions. All in all I dont think they are too strong, its just that the civilians are too scared to effectively run a fortress in an area full of undeads. I usually deal with them in form of channels, hatches and doors. Lock them away, out of sight, out of mind.

~ To respond to your quote from someone else about golems, I think giving them a vital organ in their head or similar (a brain of sorts, their 'cores') would probably help. As they cant' bleed to death, the only way to die is by literally lopping their heads off. Instead by adding a vital point, a stab or deep slash should be fatal to them. Only real logical way I can think to make them a bit more balanced.

~ The Launcher Buttons. Odd. For me, grazing never changes. I turn it on, recreate a world, it works. I turn it off, recreate a new world, it's still on even if saying OFF. Horses, Ox's, goats, etc, all starve to death for me.

~ Archeologist. Really? Huh. It may be tied to temperatures being off possibly? I'll try to replicate it in my current fort (clean world, install, etc)  and then show you. Best way.

~ Chalk vanishing. Why would it be intended...? Makes little sense to me, if Chalk should vanish, shouldn't all other flux too? I can't find any difference to chalk vs dolomite, limestone, marble, etc. *scratches head*

~ Diplomacy-Tanner. That's what I feared. No worries! Not a huge issue, just one I thought MIGHT not have been mentioned.

~ Gold Bag. That's again, odd. as I removed all barrows to ensure it wasn't a barrows bug, and the reaction was red - but there were four bags from thieves directly outside it in the stockpile. Again, I'll try to replicate this in my current fort, then show you.

~ Marble. I guess that makes sense, though I could argue Limestone and similar are just about as common (depending on your world gen, etc). Not going to argue against it - marble is still useful for flux, and often has a lot of rare gems (like emerald, sapphire, ruby, etc) so is still extremely valuable in other ways. :)

~ That's the funny part. I thought it was temperature too. So I turned temperature back on, confirmed it work by 'accidentally' shoving a friendly thief into lava who promptly melted in horrifying screams of agony, and then ran the reaction - my priest who ran it didn't die after 12+ successful interactions (counting the amount of weapons from before to after I stopped it). Once again, I'll try it again in this fort and show you if it breaks, and try to figure out WHY it's not working specifically.

~ Glass. Doh. I wish Toady had some consistency in things, just seems... odd in what you can/can't access.

~ Meeting. I do similar, but often when I disable his labors - he runs off to drink. Then eat. then sleep. then go on break. then drink. Then clean. then go put the dog back at the door. Then put the dog back again. and again. and again. and again... they prioritize EVERYTHING above meetings basically.

~ Pukefest. Damn! Oh well. Was worth asking. Makes me wonder how people survive after they puke out 20 galleons of vomit...

~ Nymphs and such. I can confirm Gnolls, Recaus mecaus(?), and Kea's so far ARE shot by turrets, and they often will go after guard animals now-and-then, the guard animals promptly will maul them if they get too close/or take a swipe at them. Nymphs and leprechauns, don't cause this yet do very similar actions to the prior three I listed. Only seem I see to be different, is perhaps their aggression flags. Nymphs and such seem to be a notch below in 'aggression' then the three I listed, and seem to be just under the spectrum of animals/turrets to flag them as hostile. Not sure HOW they choose who is hostile or not, as I can't find the turret raws or similar for how they choose to attack. >.<

~ Sieges. Oh I understand the balance implications. But another factor you need to think about - you almost NEVER kill an entire siege, let alone even half of them. Most often they flee when perhaps 2-5 of their 100 die (seems to vary a bit).

I have ALL siegers (except nightwings and Warlocks enabled - Nightwings due to their horrible bugginess of getting stuck in the air and never attacking, making them a giant pain to take care of, and Warlocks, due to the 'rot bug' I listed already). I have +material on. +skills does indeed do a lot - but even with it, glass discs still dice them to giblets without much problem. Serrated discx10=30 attacks per trap, even with 10 skills - they'll get hit once at least somewhere vulnerable and bleed out.

Quiver wise, that would just make hellfire turrets extremely OP. hell, they already are absolutely absurd. units with a shield can block them - but just slap 1 web turret with it, the webs catch on fire, they fall on it and melt. Quite hilariously effective in truth. though, this is another discussion entirely.

I would agree making it a setting would probably be best. maybe have it suggested to play with 'harder smithing' - so the 'extra' metal gained is countered for balance sake for players who desire that.

~ Farming. The thing is, you can argue surface space is 'limited' - but when did you ever need more then 6 10x10 fields to ENTIRELY fuel a fortress? This is discounting the use of potash.

Breeding wise, I agree. it's a tough issue at the core. And the 'spore breeding' again, is indeed another factor as there's no actual effort to cause breeding which is probably the real problem - there's no real effort to achieve anything. Have animals in a pasture, wait, babies! Butcher. Repeat. Farming and such at least takes time, seeds, dwarf effort, etc, to utilize.

Fishing is overpowered? ._. Unless you have 20+ people fishing on it constantly, it's totally inferior to farming underground, or breeding in every way. Farming and Breeding totally blow it out of the water for sheer food production (and other useful things) - and farming/breeding can be as safe, if not safer, then fishing in many fronts. It seems we really have differing perspectives for how we play. perhaps I should upload a fort of mine after I finish detailing it, and show you a 'safety setup' (I try to avoid them as it's boring and unfun :P) so I can prove my points by action, not just words. :)

Herbalism. I feared as much. I was more so just shooting out ideas to try and help spark creative ideas for you. The only real thing I can think of, would have rare plants that cause 'syndrome clouds' (like the evil clouds) to spawn when they're picked and 'infect' any dwarf nearby (very rarely) and have them act like diseases do now, but sparked from inside sources (I.E. cavern plants). Again, not sure if that's even plausible to do. Tree wise, you could easily add in 'Tree Spirits' or similar, but again, is adding such 'nuisances' really worth it?

~ Mithril. Silver and Steel? Huh? I've not found a reaction for this anywhere. The alchemist shop can change various elements to it - after insane amounts of flux per bar (depending what you have available, turning iron into mithril takes like 8-10 flux per bar!).  Maybe I'm blind, but I'm fairly sure I was very detailed in my checking... I'll go on a building spree in my fort after this post, and look.

~ Undead. Toady's finally doing that? thank. god. That's exactly what I wanted. I like persistent, vicious undead - but I hate how they're quite literally, unstoppable.

Temple reaction - do you mean it'll 'punish all dead on the map' - or just in the reaction area? As reaction area, it would be for lack of a good word, useless. Hauling undead who can animate in your hands is suicidal, hehehe.

Now Magic, is a very viable way to deal with them, and one I hoped you pursued. It makes sense for 'life mancer' style mages to be the bane of undeath by nature.

Locking them away works fine... until you realize you got 300+ corpses from sieges who die to the undead, scattered all over your map and is now lagging you like crazy. Any merchants who come, die instantly and simply add to the hordes. Thankfully with the Mithril enchantments, there's ways to deal with them. My current fort is a vicious undead area, I'll again, be using this fort to show various bugs/issues I have, so I can reflect that better in game. Though, it sounds like toady and your magic will solve the problem entirely.

New issues:

~ Animals who are in a pasture, and have a dwarf 'walk over them', often times, will abandon their pasture and run inside the fortress following dwarves and lazing at the meeting areas. this is VERY frustrating if you use 10+ guard animals in a setup to block thieves, as when one dwarf drags an animal back, he often causes another pastured animal to flee back inside. he has to then chase THAT animal down, drag it back, and hope another damn animal doesn't do this same action. No, they are not 'pets' to anyone at all. I know this is PROBABLY vanilla issues, but I only saw this in vanilla when that animal was a pet to someone. This happens to anyone and everyone even without a pet, which is why it puzzles me. Once again, I'll setup and example in the fortress I'm at to reflect it.

~ I'll stop here, seeing my post is getting huge and lumpy. I'll post a new 'issue' report in the future as I see it, preferably with screenshots and a fort to reflect problems as they happen.

Szarrukin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 23, 2013, 09:10:06 am »

I cannot "challenge a great beast" to my fortress (over 100 dwarves, worth over 2.500.000 dwarfbucks) - I'm trying in every new season since three years with no effect. I've checked in Legends Viewer - yes, there are megabeasts in my world.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #490 on: July 23, 2013, 09:13:33 am »

I myself never attracted one while testing, but all I can do is run the dfhack script. You should talk to Putnam about it, he wrote the script. I know caravans, diplomats, migrants and sieges/ambushes work, but I never got megabeasts and nightcreatures to spawn.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 23, 2013, 10:43:22 am »

I can attest that both reactions dont seem to work, tested on both young and pretty old worlds.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #492 on: July 23, 2013, 09:34:12 pm »

I'll let putnam know.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 23, 2013, 11:48:58 pm »

For some reason I cannot open the masterwork settings exe. I'm running windows 7, and this problem seems to happen for both v.3c and v.3d only. Can somebody explain how to manually change the settings, if that is possible?

EDIT:

I have tried running the settings for older versions and they don't work either, which is strange, because they did before...
Repeated fresh downloads in different file locations don't work either.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 12:28:15 am by lukstra »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #494 on: July 24, 2013, 01:11:31 am »

The GUI did not change from 3b, 3c or 3d. Its the very same. The changes must have been done to your system, any NET-framework updates from your side?
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 142