Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 142

Author Topic: [DWARF] - Bug reports and known issues.  (Read 190702 times)

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DWARF] - Bug reports and known issues.
« Reply #1005 on: September 24, 2013, 02:36:31 pm »

3i  Matrix

Reaction_inventor.txt references ITEM_PANTS_LIGHT, which don't exist as an item_pants.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Asva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Menacing scarecrow
« Reply #1006 on: September 24, 2013, 09:53:21 pm »

3i matrix. Tried to build scarecrow. He died  of old age right after spawning (which is prosaic and was reported before).
And the scarecrow dropped several items, pot of straw resin among them. Then I tried to dry resin in amber (reaction from kiln) but the game crashed instead of giving me something nice. Reloaded, tested once more, got crash again.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:24:45 pm by Asva »

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: September 25, 2013, 04:11:45 am »

I'm once again fiddling around with signing my dwarves up for castes. Having far more luck getting the transformation to stick in 3i. But it's still a strange business.

I can take a dwarf who's considered 97% appropriate for a farmworker (according to Dwarf Therapist), join him to the Farmer's guild, and he comes out 37% appropriate for being a farmworker. I understand that happens because his attribute ranges change on joining the caste, but it does suggest that the attribute changes the Farmer's caste inflicts are not at all the ones you'd actually want.

edit: Though I can't even see in the raws where the Farmer Caste even makes any attribute changes. So I've no idea what's going on at all.

The increased xp rate is obviously very useful, but it does feel weird when you take dwarves who seem perfect for a particular caste, and joining the caste makes them worse at that very job.

It does explain why migrants who arrive already a member of a caste are usually spectacularly bad at their chosen profession though.

It might be preferable for joining a guild to leave your stats alone. At least that would make it much easier to judge if folks will still be suited to the task once they're transformed.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 04:51:44 am by Arkenor »

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: September 25, 2013, 04:46:02 am »

Afair, metal stats have an insignificant impact on speed and quality compared to raw skill levels.

It is also possible that the values of stats dont change, but their max value does, leading DT to falsely think someone is ill suited for the job.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1009 on: September 25, 2013, 04:54:48 am »

Arkenor: Good science, but you dont know how the mechanics behind it work. Dwarves have attribute ranges, for example every dwarf has a random strength between 0 and 5000. So you might have a particulary strong dwarf, and transform him, and get a weaker dwarf. Or you have a very weak dwarf, transform him, and get a very strong dwarf. The initial attributes, as well as the attributes after a transformation, are random within that range.

This means that you dont have to pay attenttion to the attributes and role-percentages at all. Both input and output is random, therefore it will even out in the end, seen overall. You dont have to pick a strong dwarf for the military, because the dwarf that is created might be strong or weak...

I know this is not perfect, but I cant change it at all. I could give the castes different attribute ranges, making all military castes stronger, more agile, or making all doctors "get good thoughts from helping others", but the current system gives neither an advantage nor a disadvantage when it comes to attributes.

Asva: Its because of the itemcorpse targetting a item that does not exist atm, and it dies because your world is older then the max age of scarecrows. Its both fixed in my dev version.

BillyJack: Is noted.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: September 25, 2013, 04:58:16 am »

Oh. Joining a caste rerolls their stats! Well, that's just closed some doors and opened some others.

I guess my best dwarves should avoid joining a caste, but it might fix some of my terrible ones.

In that case, maybe giving the guild castes improved stat ranges for their important attributes might be a good idea.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 05:00:00 am by Arkenor »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1011 on: September 25, 2013, 05:06:16 am »

People can also exploit this by re-transforming dwarves with bad attributes again and again, till they have someone with very good attributes.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: September 25, 2013, 05:09:33 am »

Indeed. My worst dwarves are now queued up outside the reroll machine. I'd be crazy to send my dwarves with good stats in there. Which is unfortunately what I've been doing until now, to somewhat devastating consequences.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1013 on: September 25, 2013, 06:47:52 am »

I guess the best approach would be a attribute boost for the military groups, but I'll keep the guilds as they are. I sadly cant change skill learn rates without changing the creature itself.

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: September 25, 2013, 01:32:23 pm »

Fade in to a torchlit farming chamber. Two dwarfs are working tirelessly in the fields.

Urist McFarmin: Yah know, Faden, thar's nutin' better den da dirt in yer hands and da satursfacshun of knowin' dat all dis hard work 'elps provide all da 'sentials for a fart ta survive. Ar effarts produce grub, booze, clodes, oil fer curing, 'n' dyes fer purdy clothes (fer dem fancy pants dat care 'bout purdy colors, like da mayor).

Faden Peatknees: You sure said a mouthful there, Urist. I think nothing but happy thoughts when I part the soil, carefully place the spawns, and pat them down nice and comfortable like.

... short period of time passes ...

Urist (looking around): I taught da Overseer 'ad arsked more of us ta enjoy dis 'underful life.

Faden: Oh, he did. You're talking about those other fellow's who are off in the hall, throwing themselves a party.

Urist: A pardy!! Why'red dey havin' a pardy? Don't dey know dar's work ta be done?

Faden: Well, they did do their work. They don't enjoy the fields quite as much as you and I so they get it done faster.

Urist: Really? I'd da tought dey take der sweet time, considerin' how much yield dey get from der spawns.

Faden: Well, I believe that that has more to do with the Guildhouse and the Guild meetings to which they attend. It appears that with membership to the guild, they learn methodologies for performing our task with great speed and quality. You also get to attend the social gatherings that the guild sponsors.

Urist: But if dey don't love da work, den warts the point?

Faden: Well, they may not love the work, like you and I, but they do seem to enjoy the extra free time they have available to have said social gatherings, stroll through the statue garden, and enjoy the wonderful wildlife at the zoo.

Urist (under his breath): dern fools.

... short period of time passes ...

Faden (finishing up his work): Well, I'm all done here. I believe I'll wander over to the hall and see if they are still celebrating Barsmead's birthday.

Urist grumbles

Faden: You know, Urist, there's a rumor going around that the Overseer isn't satisfied with the work we've been doing. It sounds like he is so happy with the amount of yield that the others are getting that he may have us reassigned to pushing the carts. After all, we are stronger than the average fellow.

Urist: Wart!!!

Faden: Yes, I heard it from a reliable source.
     (pauses)
              I think I'm going to go check out that Guildhouse. Maybe if I can plant as fast as the others the Overseer will allow me to stay in the fields.

Urist (finishing up): I 'ate ta 'mit it, but yah may harv a point. I be one gloomy gus if'n I hard ta push dem damn carts around. Guessin' I'll come wit yah ta check'er out.

... walking off into the darkness ...

Urist: Yah tinkin' of washin' erp first?

Faden: I think that would be appropriate. If we are more presentable, we are more likely to gain acceptance into their membership.
     (pauses)
              You may also let me do all of the talking. You have a certain "earthy" quality to your choice of phrasing and enunciation.

Urist: Dart's true.  'oint taken.

... from the darkness, voices fading away ...

Urist (holding back his excitement):  I 'erd da Great 'all irs a sight ta see.

Faden: Yes, it would be nice to spend a little more time there. Not as much as I enjoy the fields, but who knows, we may actually meet someone and start our own families.

Urist: HAAaah! Yer such a silly dorf.
     (30 second pause)
                 I bedder 'aush up.

roll credits

- Fin -
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 02:30:58 pm by Billy Jack »
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: September 25, 2013, 05:27:07 pm »

Damn, I'd have thought to have some hardy-har-hars by now on my little script on the usefulness of guilds.  :(

--- Shameless bump ---
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 05:31:06 pm by Billy Jack »

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: September 25, 2013, 06:32:01 pm »

Meph,

My memory is old but I thought 3i dealt with slag bars in moods. Just had a dwarf in a mood haul a slag bar to the craftdwarfs workshop.

Just letting you know in case you didn't.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1017 on: September 25, 2013, 07:18:14 pm »

I gave these damn bars a SLIME_TEMPLATE. They are about as un-metally as I can make them, I really thought that would fix it.

I did have a sure fix with the ore processor, but since removing all normal ore caused stockpiles and embark finder to go insane (from the lack of ore), I had to move back to the old system. But these slag bars that are used in moods are only produced if you smelt "mineral bearing rock", which shouldnt be smelted anyway. If you use the ore processor, the slag that is generated in the smelter from "pure metal ore" is NOT used in moods.

In short:
Mineral Bearing Rock => Smelter => Slag => Might be used in moods.
Mineral Bearing Rock => Ore Processor => Smelter => Slag => Is not used in moods.

Thats the best I can do.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: September 25, 2013, 07:44:25 pm »

You use truetransform for castes, right? I think I may (no guarantees!) come up with a version that keeps attributes exactly.

DestroyX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: September 25, 2013, 08:16:58 pm »

heyho^^
just signed up to spam stuff on you :D

got some problems with your mod, sadly.

first, some settings in the config program always resets, no idea why.
bonfire, harder smelting, warbeasts, church of d., fountain of y., hall of mk., weather control.
they dont show up in the game, too.

next thing i just realised, i'm kinda missing the high tech stuff... but it's activated.
so no volcanic foundry and golemforge for me.
no magma blast furnace, crucible, metallurgist, greatforge, inventors workbench, ammo caster, gunsmith, heavy siegeworks, and so on... all the magma stuff.
the normal workshops are still there.

third, iridium is completely nonexistent.

last one, the poison and rune coating vanishes, if you dont got any gloves on and attack an enemy with "bare" hands if you want so.
if thats not just in my game, it would be nice to write it in the manual i guess^^

sorry for bad english n stuff, its late :D

i just hope you can help me there, i really got no idea whats wrong.. but i want the tech, or my plans are gone :D

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 142