Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Game Dev Tycoon - Taking the 'Casual' out of Windows Marketplace  (Read 32519 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game Dev Tycoon - Taking the 'Casual' out of Windows Marketplace
« Reply #150 on: May 04, 2013, 06:12:08 pm »

Something I'm wondering is for your engine's features, do you always want it to be 100%, or is sometime sbetter to pick a big huge feature that isn't at 100% in the... creation, or is that terrible?

Yes, you want it to be 100%(not just for the engine).  If you need to, cut out features to do it if you can't fix it with the sliders... plus, some game types, you should focus on stuff other then the legend engine.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 06:37:18 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 04, 2013, 06:12:49 pm »

Well in the end most of my game had a 80% in all area of feature because there was too much of them ( i only took related to the topic/genre mind you ).
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 04, 2013, 06:41:35 pm »

Something I'm wondering is for your engine's features, do you always want it to be 100%, or is sometime sbetter to pick a big huge feature that isn't at 100% in the... creation, or is that terrible?

Yes, you want it to be 100%(not just for the engine).  If you need to, cut out features to do it if you can't fix it with the sliders... plus, some game types, you should focus on stuff other then the legend engine.

Hmm, I see. It seems almost impossible to get some features at all in engines. It feels wierd that you can make a modern game, with V7 3D Graphics... and you may not have the ability to give it voice acting. Or savefiles. Or any other number of things that are practically a standard.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 05, 2013, 02:12:38 am »

Hmm, I see. It seems almost impossible to get some features at all in engines. It feels wierd that you can make a modern game, with V7 3D Graphics... and you may not have the ability to give it voice acting. Or savefiles. Or any other number of things that are practically a standard.
Need a bigguer sized game, that V7 in the game would be the equivalent of BF4 graphics in example, its going to take a LOT of space, could you fit it in a 1gig sized game? well you could if you strip down the V7 for a V4 or something, or forget about advaced physic so on and so forth, the AAA game is about 15gig in size nowadays. I think you get the point, later on when you have access to AAA games you can cram a LOT of feature in that, and even if you only have a 80% in your feature as long you are *breakingtrought* or in advance in tech compared to the other company ( here its simply simulated in number of years you are far in ), you will get awesome ratings. 80% of a V7 is still better than a V5 if you know what i mean.
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 05, 2013, 10:50:49 am »

Need a bigguer sized game, that V7 in the game would be the equivalent of BF4 graphics in example, its going to take a LOT of space, could you fit it in a 1gig sized game? well you could if you strip down the V7 for a V4 or something, or forget about advaced physic so on and so forth, the AAA game is about 15gig in size nowadays. I think you get the point, later on when you have access to AAA games you can cram a LOT of feature in that, and even if you only have a 80% in your feature as long you are *breakingtrought* or in advance in tech compared to the other company ( here its simply simulated in number of years you are far in ), you will get awesome ratings. 80% of a V7 is still better than a V5 if you know what i mean.

Dwarf Fortress comes in around 40 MB.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 06, 2013, 08:58:11 am »

Okay. I bought Game Dev Story and have enjoyed it. For those that have played both, is Game Dev Tycoon different enough that it is worth buying?
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 06, 2013, 09:04:24 am »

Yes its not quite the same, some stuff differs and hell one fits on your phone the other your PC and for the pricetag hard to not get your money out of those game.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 06, 2013, 05:33:58 pm »

I decided to play some Game Dev Story since I felt bad for praising GDT so much, despite only playing GDS for a short while... as shown by my misled comment that you can't make consoles in GDS.

I still have the opinion that Game Dev Tycoon is a better game. It's a lot smoother to navigate since you don't have to go through menu after menu, and it doesn't feel as "crowded", like your whole screen is taken up by employees and menus. Of course, this is rather difficult to avoid on a portable device, but I still think it's valid. GDS feels a lot slower to me, and it has a severe lack of interesting themes early on. Robots, ninjas, what? Some ambiguous topics like sports or music really would have been nice, but those came too late, in my opinion.

I did like the fact that you can outsource different aspects of the game development in GDS, as well as the feeling that you're not the only game developer in existence. Not enough to make me prefer the game, though. I have to admit I'm a little biased because I think Kairosoft has milked their whole tycoon thing plenty, releasing 20 basically identical games with different themes being the only difference.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 06, 2013, 07:46:29 pm »

Since you are talking about GDS did you know there is a GDS 2? Just havent been translated in enlish yet, work is in the way to have it release to portable in english, release date i dont remember and the game is already out on PC just not in english again, but fear not, it is coming to both PC and droid portable in english, how they will do it i have no clue since the 2 seem to be menu driven a lot.

Just go take a look on google image repository thingy search that.

P.S.: Now i have kairosoft... i played dungeon village, that one about school, the racing game, the new survival island thingy and a few other... FRACK IM HOOKED LIKE a junky... I have badass game on my PC that take lots of space, has monstruous graphic ( nice ), but yet... im stuck playing one kairosoft game after the other..... If you have a portable game DO NOT BUYi any game from them if you value your social life.... They are that good, at least to me....

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 06, 2013, 09:09:05 pm »

Dwarf Fortress comes in around 40 MB.

Dwarf Fortress is also virtually completely lacking in several areas like graphics and sound in order to achieve such depth in other aspects, so...

... case in point, I guess?

melvis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 06, 2013, 09:11:55 pm »

game dev tycoon and Game dev story are very  easy games. I didn't like them very much. You guys should try http://www.veloci.dk/gamebiz/index.asp?visnu=GB3.htm if you really want a challenging game :D

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 06, 2013, 10:41:46 pm »

Odd...
Now I bought the game and everything, yet something interesting came up...

After making a ton of cash and hitting the second level of gameplay with over 2million in the pocket. I start trying out all different things. I get a Piracy Event come up and choosing to sue the people that stole the game I was developing I lose well over the amount of fans it says I was going to lose and then the game itself stops actually working correctly, I kept getting 21k every week for well over the amount of time the game normally sits on the shelves and the bar things themselves were not even running anymore being stuck at 3 weeks of sales but well over a month and a half had gone bye...

Odd...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 06, 2013, 11:07:43 pm »

game dev tycoon and Game dev story are very  easy games. I didn't like them very much. You guys should try http://www.veloci.dk/gamebiz/index.asp?visnu=GB3.htm if you really want a challenging game :D

Now that is a VERY interesting concept... It is a game where the real life market actually does affect things. Where you will end up needing to compete against games like "Pokémon" and "Final Fantasy" and "Super Mario" and "Kings Quest" and "7th Guest" (It sold decently well. It was what I'd call a hardware game)...

As well as fantasy games.

MIND YOU, I have no idea if they just use the names or if they use the same qualities.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 07, 2013, 12:06:12 am »

My only complaint is that once again, another game which asks you to name things but doesn't even attempt to give ya a simple name generator. I ain't asking for much mind you, just something that allows me to catch myself if I forget to name something or just run out of naming ideas. It doesn't take long before your using the same names or even real names of games...

Or at least a second chance to name your game/engine. SO MANY TIMES have I missed on naming the game/engine cause I was too busy trying to put together a good pattern...
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12