Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Game Dev Tycoon - Taking the 'Casual' out of Windows Marketplace  (Read 32527 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Game Dev Tycoon - Taking the 'Casual' out of Windows Marketplace
« Reply #135 on: May 02, 2013, 09:23:42 pm »

You know, I found a nice way to make lots of money.

First, I find a nice genre, a topic that fits with the genre
Second, I maximize the slider efficiency for the genre
Release game.

Then, I just remake the exact same game every year, but with a different topic that works with the genre. The gullible public sees it as a brand new, fresh game, and gobbles it up, making me *extreme* amounts of money.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 02, 2013, 09:25:43 pm »

You know, I found a nice way to make lots of money.

First, I find a nice genre, a topic that fits with the genre
Second, I maximize the slider efficiency for the genre
Release game.

Then, I just remake the exact same game every year, but with a different topic that works with the genre. The gullible public sees it as a brand new, fresh game, and gobbles it up, making me *extreme* amounts of money.

The game is really quite realistic in some aspects, from what I can tell from this post.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2013, 05:41:45 am »

I'm kinda surprised how people have taken to this. It seems like mostly a marketing stunt and the game follows after. Is it, like, a decent sim on top of all that?
It's basically a mod of Game Dev Story but for triple the price and on PC.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 03, 2013, 05:45:24 am »

It seems quite odd that there is no game emulating Tetris

Ohh dear goodness, TONS! There are a vast quantity of games that emulate Tetris.

Almost as many as the ones that copy Bejeweled.

*facepalm*

I meant in GDT. I know there is a billion of Tetris clones IRL -_-
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 03, 2013, 06:34:57 am »

I'm kinda surprised how people have taken to this. It seems like mostly a marketing stunt and the game follows after. Is it, like, a decent sim on top of all that?

"Triple the price" sounds so extreme, but we're really only talking about 6 dollars here.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 03, 2013, 06:44:50 am »

"Triple the price" sounds so extreme, but we're really only talking about 6 dollars here.
That is super effective 'narrative' and technically true.  But, more importantly, it is not available on PC, at least right now?  So.... *shrug*.  Does the GVS one have cash shops?  Since ya know... it is on IApple stuff and Android?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 03, 2013, 06:51:41 am »

No, it's a 1997 game so it predates micro-transactions by a pretty long way.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 03, 2013, 01:52:39 pm »

Any tips on getting research points? It seems like my only option is to just crank out game after game, but it gets hard to keep thinking up names...

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 03, 2013, 02:15:53 pm »

Any tips on getting research points? It seems like my only option is to just crank out game after game, but it gets hard to keep thinking up names...

Hire an employee with high research.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 03, 2013, 02:27:01 pm »

Hire an employee with high research.

Well, besides that. I mean, that helps get the points, but your staff doesn't generate research just sitting around.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 03, 2013, 02:35:03 pm »

If you only need a couple of points, do contract work. If you need a lot of points and can afford it, make a game engine. If you need a lot of points and can't afford an engine, make a game. Alternatively you could max out the budget of your R&D lab (if you have one) and they'll passively generate a ton of points.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 03, 2013, 02:59:20 pm »

Also after 11 game engine i think? You can license them, so its worth making crappy game engine just to beef that up and get the research faster. Then devloper will send you offer to use your game engine and give you royalty if i remember correctly.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 03, 2013, 03:20:38 pm »

R&D Lab must be later in the game. And didn't know about the license thing. Hrmmm... it was so easy getting RP to start with, then you kind of starting hitting 40's and 80s'...

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 03, 2013, 04:15:26 pm »

Well research lab is last *office* or stage, it needs over 30 milion? or was it 80? I cant know for sure since i made a hit game that BLEW myself out of the sky, moving from 25ish mil to over 125 with ONE SINGLE 9.75 rated marketized, G3booth on latest engines feature LOTS LOTS LOTS of feature, was an evo simulator game that i started milking and RAKING in money wich in turn once on the other office got my successfull MMORPG then i made massive amout of research and devlopement basicly KILLING any competitor to my AWESOME engines. I was always 2 step ahead and no matter what i did i ALWAYS had a MINIMUM of 8.75 rating in all my games since my engine was THAT powerfull. Also i was making game for PC since that gameboy went out of order. Never touched a console by after but i did make on and i got 8.7% market share i think?

Edit: Pretty much like in real life sometime you release THAT game wich move the industry,  wish we could affect the market shares of console after many hit game on said console. I.E.: I would focus on computer game and keep making hit game untill it racks over 15% market share TAKE THAT CONSOLE.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 04:17:03 pm by jocan2003 »
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 04, 2013, 05:57:37 pm »

Something I'm wondering is for your engine's features, do you always want it to be 100%, or is sometime sbetter to pick a big huge feature that isn't at 100% in the... creation, or is that terrible?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12