Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Game Dev Tycoon - Taking the 'Casual' out of Windows Marketplace  (Read 32551 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game Dev Tycoon - Taking the 'Casual' out of Windows Marketplace
« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2013, 03:02:55 pm »

I sold 166 billion copies before shutting it down due to the insane maintenance cost. 166 billion. I don't know why every person on the planet needed 23 copies of my MMO.
Doesn't it work that they buy a month's worth of MMO per sale? So that means that everyone on Earth played your MMO for almost 2 years, on average. :P

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2013, 03:35:53 pm »

I sold 166 billion copies before shutting it down due to the insane maintenance cost. 166 billion. I don't know why every person on the planet needed 23 copies of my MMO.
Doesn't it work that they buy a month's worth of MMO per sale? So that means that everyone on Earth played your MMO for almost 2 years, on average. :P

You're making it sound even less realistic, my immersion!

Really sucks the developers are adamant about not adding new features, anyways. It would be really cool if they featured a separate gamemode, where rather than playing in the gaming industry as it went down in real life, you play in something more random and dynamic. It would be pretty neat to see the DS flourish and become the new PS3.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 02, 2013, 04:05:48 pm »

and theres some annoying game stopping bugs.
I haven't hit any game stoppers, but there's a number of annoying interface bugs. For one, buttons sometimes don't press. Also, try highlighting the name window on a new game and dragging your mouse all the way to the right- moves the window all the way into the next stage of development, where the buttons don't work. If I can't reach any of the initial buttons, I have to close the window and start again.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2013, 04:07:44 pm »

I'm kinda surprised how people have taken to this. It seems like mostly a marketing stunt and the game follows after. Is it, like, a decent sim on top of all that?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2013, 04:53:52 pm »

I'm kinda surprised how people have taken to this. It seems like mostly a marketing stunt and the game follows after. Is it, like, a decent sim on top of all that?

It's very addictive, and it's a pretty decent sim. I certainly think it's worth $8. The fake copy was a great idea, it helped them gain a huge amount of publicity (that and TB's stream), I wanna see more stuff like that.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2013, 04:54:22 pm »

It's decent. I liked Game Dev Story, and this seemed eerily similar at first... but it has the distinction of being actually somewhat difficult at times.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2013, 04:55:42 pm »

Started from scratch (yet again) and I developed my first game called Master Chess (Medieval/Strategy).
Now some hour later I am at stage two, in the red but not recieved bailout yet.
Then I finish a sequel called Master Chess 3D.
And it got an almost perfect score! (I am thankful I managed to research 3D V2).
Got my money back up to a bit over 3 Million! :D

To think a chess game would save me from bankrupcy. :p
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 04:57:38 pm by Ultimuh »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 02, 2013, 05:59:35 pm »

Started from scratch (yet again) and I developed my first game called Master Chess (Medieval/Strategy).
Now some hour later I am at stage two, in the red but not recieved bailout yet.
Then I finish a sequel called Master Chess 3D.
And it got an almost perfect score! (I am thankful I managed to research 3D V2).
Got my money back up to a bit over 3 Million! :D

To think a chess game would save me from bankrupcy. :p

Must be some alternate history, where Deep Blue beat Kasparov legitimately instead of having assistance, making people want to challenge the AIs more.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Linenoise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 02, 2013, 06:19:54 pm »

My company always manages to crash and burn during Stage 2. I start to get a little cash, my workers (all 2 of them) gain a couple levels, and the monthly expenses steadily rise. I do enjoy that the game makes you fret at times. Should I spend the surplus of my companies money and build a new engine? Or should I keep it in the bank and pump out mediocre titles that seem to only earn enough revenue to keep the lights on?

So far I am enjoying the game but I can see how it would get a little monotonous after a while. My best title, to date, was Tank Mechanic (a military simulator). It got all 10s and was an instant classic that set a new industry standard...yadda yadda yadda. Basically it was just a game where you dodge bullets an fix tanks. The dirty masses are so easily entertained!  :P

Also, has anyone else gotten the 'Writers Block' achievement? :D

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 02, 2013, 06:49:42 pm »

*Raises hand.*

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2013, 07:23:46 pm »

*Raises hand.*

Thinking up names is hard. Thinking up original, names is hard I should say.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 02, 2013, 07:25:53 pm »

*Raises hand.*

Thinking up names is hard. Thinking up original, names is hard I should say.

Just do what I did: name your company Pirrrate Productions and theme everything you don't know around Pirates. Even if the genre is something else. Especially then.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 02, 2013, 07:27:25 pm »

Nope. My first character was Broseph Stalin and every game had a different name hinting at its theme and glorifying Soviet Russia (which must have actually been pretty offensive since the game starts before the Berlin wall fell). Then Hipster Hitler. Current successful company? Jesus Christ. Just no shortage of good, moderately blasphemous videogame names to be had...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 02, 2013, 07:35:33 pm »

Nope. My first character was Broseph Stalin and every game had a different name hinting at its theme and glorifying Soviet Russia (which must have actually been pretty offensive since the game starts before the Berlin wall fell). Then Hipster Hitler. Current successful company? Jesus Christ. Just no shortage of good, moderately blasphemous videogame names to be had...

You see the point then. It seems quite odd that there is no game emulating Tetris, now that you mentioned Soviet Russia. Or any of those late 90's side-scrollers with animal protagonists (Sonic, duh, Captain Claw, Jazz Jackrabbit...). Or am I missing a combo?

Either way, the game is pretty heavily modern even in ye olden Eightiessen, the successful combos seem more like 'oh, remember X-themed game? It sold pretty well, must be a good combo, add it'. Also, some genres are pretty vague, like Simulation. IMO Military/Simulation vs. Life/Simulation or Evolution/Simulation are very very different games and RPG covers anything from Roguelikes to the modern high-budget games.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 02, 2013, 08:17:24 pm »

It seems quite odd that there is no game emulating Tetris

Ohh dear goodness, TONS! There are a vast quantity of games that emulate Tetris.

Almost as many as the ones that copy Bejeweled.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12