Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Game Dev Tycoon - Taking the 'Casual' out of Windows Marketplace  (Read 32533 times)

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game Dev Tycoon - Taking the 'Casual' out of Windows Marketplace
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2013, 08:24:05 am »

I don't really understand why people have trouble with the sliders. It's not like it's all trial and error, it actually mirrors how it works in real life. You don't want a military shooter to have a rich backstory with lots of focus on dialogue, you want it to have guns that go pew pew.

Well, to be honest I would probably enjoy that a lot more, but the majority of people say otherwise.

Well yeah that's the thing. I can get what an RPG/Adventure game needs, but then when it comes to anything else practically...

And I can't check the Help menu, mid-project, hahahaha

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2013, 09:51:48 am »

Argh! Bankrupt again!
Seriusly, I need a propper plan to get this thing right.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2013, 10:07:20 am »

This is getting ridiculous. I'm on year 89, I have a trillion dollars. What the fuck.

Obviously the game isn't intended to be played for this long, but it does seem a bit extreme. :P MMOs are so horribly broken it's not even funny. I sold 166 billion copies before shutting it down due to the insane maintenance cost. 166 billion. I don't know why every person on the planet needed 23 copies of my MMO.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2013, 10:17:51 am »

I don't know why every person on the planet needed 23 copies of my MMO.

People ragequit and somehow breaks the game/console in the process? :p

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2013, 10:23:53 am »

This is getting ridiculous. I'm on year 89, I have a trillion dollars. What the fuck.

Obviously the game isn't intended to be played for this long, but it does seem a bit extreme. :P MMOs are so horribly broken it's not even funny. I sold 166 billion copies before shutting it down due to the insane maintenance cost. 166 billion. I don't know why every person on the planet needed 23 copies of my MMO.

You included a program that break the CD/whatever future format we will use once or a DNA-based DRM, due to which people needed a new copy for each newborn family member, or you simply started shipping the game to aliens - this would explain the maintenance costs, intergalactic data transmission is costly.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2013, 10:24:45 am »

Clearly your company made it so the copy explodes after awhile, forcing people to buy a new one.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2013, 10:32:24 am »

As far as I can tell, the game is balanced around games only being able to sell for a month or so.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2013, 11:02:08 am »

As far as I can tell, the game is balanced around games only being able to sell for a month or so.

Doesn't apply to MMOs, they sell indefinitely until you take down the servers. Since people never get tired of it if you release new expansions, you can use it as a cash cow forever. Games usually sell for a few months before getting taken off the shelves, not sure exactly how long.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2013, 11:56:12 am »

Well, this intrigues me, but if it's a clone of GDS I think I'll hold out for that one because I much prefer its pixelly little graphics.

Speaking of similar games, I remember playing a lot of Gamebiz 2 a few years back and there appears to be a sequel out now. Does anyone know if Gamebiz 3 is actually worth the crazy $20 pricetag? That seems extremely steep for an unpolished-looking indie game.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2013, 12:03:52 pm »

Well, this intrigues me, but if it's a clone of GDS I think I'll hold out for that one because I much prefer its pixelly little graphics.

Speaking of similar games, I remember playing a lot of Gamebiz 2 a few years back and there appears to be a sequel out now. Does anyone know if Gamebiz 3 is actually worth the crazy $20 pricetag? That seems extremely steep for an unpolished-looking indie game.

It's very similar to GDS, but it does get more complicated later on, in my opinion.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2013, 01:21:21 pm »

and theres some annoying game stopping bugs.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2013, 01:23:49 pm »

and theres some annoying game stopping bugs.

Such as? I haven't personally encountered any bugs, but I've heard quite a lot about them on the official forums.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2013, 01:59:11 pm »

So I started from scratch,  was going pretty weill by only making text-based games until I hit 1 Million.
Stage two went ok, then dragged on trying to make a hit by myself, when that failed I hired a helper.
Things still went slowly downhill so I decided to work for publishers to build fanbase.
There was no fanbase to be had there, in fact, I lost a lot of fans!
So I am now not far from bankrupcy.. AGAIN!

I think this game hates me.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2013, 02:33:04 pm »

So I started from scratch,  was going pretty weill by only making text-based games until I hit 1 Million.
Stage two went ok, then dragged on trying to make a hit by myself, when that failed I hired a helper.
Things still went slowly downhill so I decided to work for publishers to build fanbase.

Clearly your fans thought you SOLD OUT!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2013, 02:42:58 pm »

Clearly your fans thought you SOLD OUT!

The problem is people say it is a good way to build a fansbase, but I rarely get any from it due to low critic score.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12