Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Game Dev Tycoon - Taking the 'Casual' out of Windows Marketplace  (Read 32559 times)

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
Re: Game Dev Tycoon - Taking the 'Casual' out of Windows Marketplace
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2013, 04:46:52 pm »

This thread brings nothing but sadness to my heart.

Wanna hear soemthing worse? My company made Hundreds of millions doing nothing but sequels to Call of Battle, never doing any real innovation beyond making it look prettier.

Wow, this game is realistic!
and thats not even sarcasm fuck my life

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2013, 05:03:58 pm »

This all sounds suspiciously familiar.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2013, 05:31:45 pm »

It's quite a fun game. In my personal opinion, it has a nice amount of new features compared to GDS, but has a bit less depth.

My company was vaulted into (relative) extreme amount of money when I released a casual racing game called "Racers!" for the Gameling. It felt quite nice, getting 3 million, and extreme amounts of purchases compared to my 200k games. I almost went bankrupt developing it's engine, though.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2013, 06:02:04 pm »

I made HUGE sales on a AAA MMO mature fashion casual game.... 42 total sales, 2 expansion... i try not to think it was about stripping model of cloths. All was on visual gameplay and about nearly nothing else... Oh and some sound... that was an interesting take on the *genre* hahaha
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2013, 06:12:17 pm »

I made HUGE sales on a AAA MMO mature fashion casual game.... 42 total sales, 2 expansion... i try not to think it was about stripping model of cloths. All was on visual gameplay and about nearly nothing else... Oh and some sound... that was an interesting take on the *genre* hahaha

Could be worse. Mature Dating Sim. Bow-chicka-wow-wow. Got mediocre reviews, around 5, though.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2013, 06:14:08 pm »

So I am at the edge of a cliff.. Even with this new engine I made, I cannot save my company from it's demise.
I have a tendency to reload and it seems like I can make one game, get a loan to make another game.. then go bankrupt shortly after.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2013, 06:21:06 pm »

So I am at the edge of a cliff.. Even with this new engine I made, I cannot save my company from it's demise.
I have a tendency to reload and it seems like I can make one game, get a loan to make another game.. then go bankrupt shortly after.

Hmm... You should probably just keep making semi-decent games selling to a couple hundred fans and never ever use more money than you have. Also, try working on combos.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2013, 06:53:04 pm »

Decided to try to demo to see if I like it. I just released my 8th game, WWI Medic, at year 4 targeted at a mature audience on PC and it almost got all 10s, hehehe.

EDIT: It cost 59k to develop, it got me the 'Cult Status' achievement, and wow it seems to be getting a lot of attention. Apparently it has made gaming history. It generated over 3 million in revenue, and over 2000 fans and was top of the charts. Too bad this is just the demo version, it would have been awesome to keep these results, hehehe, might pick the game up. I've never played Game Dev Story as I don't think I have access to it *shrug*

EDIT 2: I just got the same review scored for the next game, a pirate adventure aimed towards younger people for the Gameling. I must have gotten lucky with my sliders or something.
More edit: Goddamn everybody loves this game too. I wonder if this is scripted to make sure that you don't lose early int he game? I dunno, but I kinda doubt it, but it almost seems that way...
And again: it got Gold status too....
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 07:09:29 pm by OzyTheSage »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2013, 07:22:35 pm »

Decided to try to demo to see if I like it. I just released my 8th game, WWI Medic, at year 4 targeted at a mature audience on PC and it almost got all 10s, hehehe.

EDIT: It cost 59k to develop, it got me the 'Cult Status' achievement, and wow it seems to be getting a lot of attention. Apparently it has made gaming history. It generated over 3 million in revenue, and over 2000 fans and was top of the charts. Too bad this is just the demo version, it would have been awesome to keep these results, hehehe, might pick the game up. I've never played Game Dev Story as I don't think I have access to it *shrug*

EDIT 2: I just got the same review scored for the next game, a pirate adventure aimed towards younger people for the Gameling. I must have gotten lucky with my sliders or something.
More edit: Goddamn everybody loves this game too. I wonder if this is scripted to make sure that you don't lose early int he game? I dunno, but I kinda doubt it, but it almost seems that way...
And again: it got Gold status too....

It is hard to fail unless you completely drop the ball, but the most I got early on were 5s. My first hit was Fantasy Strategy CombatCraft: Ninjas vs. Pirates and then nothing for a while

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2013, 07:37:01 pm »

Here's my question. Can you make Dwarf Fortress?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2013, 07:41:57 pm »

The first game I made was Tennis for Two, it got 8s as far as I remember. Having a successful first game probably helped me along. Also after my third game I decided to make a crappy game with no graphics and no budget, just to get my skill a bit higher. I didn't even release it, but it was cheap and accomplished what I wanted it to.

I should have made a mature sports game... Mutant League Football =p
Here's my question. Can you make Dwarf Fortress?
Make PC game with poor 2d graphics or text-based, fantasy setting. Dunno about genre though... simulation?
EDIT: You must also never release the full version until ~20 years later, and you must not make revenue from it, relying on donations.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2013, 07:48:02 pm »

So I started over and I made a super hit which made me almost 3 million.
Game was an Action/Superhero game for PC called Superdude.
So now I just keep making mediocre games to keep me above the 3 million mark.
Considering hiring minions devs to help boost development.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 02:27:52 am by Ultimuh »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2013, 01:23:42 am »

Heh. My fantasy MMO "World of Fantasies" was a huuuge hit and, without a publisher, sold over three million copies, getting me about 20-30 million for it.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2013, 01:51:30 am »

Once I get into the second stage, it seems that almost no matter what I do it's a slow grind of wasting away my fortune or breaking even. Also, I can hardly find a single game for the Gameboy that doesn't allegedly clash with the system's target audience. Fantasy adventure? Nope. Sci-fi RPG? Nope. Racing action? All youth targeted and still no, somehow. Actually the only thing I remember offhand was a casual game about virtual pets. But yeah, in general any tips for not getting horrible ratings despite having your design and tech both new high scores?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2013, 01:58:23 am »

11 years in, still havent made a game engine. 9 million in the bank and growing. I don't know if this counts as cheating the game. Im releasing TEXT BASED games on the Playstation!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12