Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Game Dev Tycoon - Taking the 'Casual' out of Windows Marketplace  (Read 32574 times)

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game Dev Tycoon - Taking the 'Casual' out of Windows Marketplace
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2013, 11:56:25 am »

Not a bad game, though for the sliders I'm not sure if it's good to max them out, or you should just tweak them by the game genre/topic or whatever. I think making my own engine early on totally killed me too, hahaha.

If you max all sliders, it's as if you left them all midway to the top, or all at 0. The exact same amount of time would be used for each of the three. There WOULD be a difference between decreasing two bars from the max and decreasing two bars from the middle though.

In hindsight, this makes sense. But what if I want my games to ALL have awesome EVERYTHING D:

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2013, 11:57:33 am »

Haven't bought it, but I have a challenge... Become EA.

Spend little time on the actual game and make 'DLC' in the form of separate games on the same console with more time in one thing and some in the others. Also, try to make at least 2 cash cow things and use that all the time.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2013, 12:08:43 pm »

Sounds like you'd have to start laying off employees after a while...

oh wait
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2013, 12:10:01 pm »

Oh, never mind what I said about trouble progressing earlier, I just beat the game. Currently sitting on a 2 billion cash pile. I got really close to going bankrupt but managed to pull back impressively, earning over 10 million dollars on one last second game, and then just continuing from there.

Currently on year 60, 30 years after the story ended. My console, the Grand Orca, has about the same market share as the Wuu, and my alien/action MMO is earning me millions.

I like this game. Screw you, GDS, and your portable ways.

Heh, I've been on the brink too, Bank offered me 666 thousands [sic!] in cash to bring me back, then released a hit game.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2013, 01:37:03 pm »

So, what are your money-earning secrets?
I always go bankrupt shortly after getting a propper office.
Even when I think things start looking up and make a new engine to compete with the other companies, my money takes a sharp nosedive.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2013, 01:49:29 pm »

Combining luck with sliders and genres with topics. For example, can you imagine a sports rpg game? Yeah.
As stated before in this thread, I made 2.5M on a post-apocalyptic/RPG game. Got good reviews, set new gaming standard, etcetera etcetera. Felt really good, proud of myself - something a game hasn't made me feel in a long time.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2013, 02:15:43 pm »

There are lots of sports rpg games? They tend to do pretty well? Most of the mainstream sports games have pulled a lot of stuff from them, meaning almost every sports game is a bit rpg now?

So what am I supposed to imagine, beyond that?

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2013, 02:34:08 pm »

So...I downloaded the demo. If I buy the game do I have to download it again?

And how big is the full game?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2013, 02:36:00 pm »

So...I downloaded the demo. If I buy the game do I have to download it again?

And how big is the full game?

I think so, and it's not very large at all.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2013, 02:48:20 pm »

I feel a bit sad.

The journey of my company, Land Wave, started off with the release of our first game, FOOTBAWL. It was alright. Not really good. Eventually, I got my first actually good game, Fantasty, names after a typo while trying to write Fantasy. Cue fifteen years of releasing Fantasty sequels  and various other games (Fantasty being the only successful one) until eventually I couldn't make any hits. The best game was Fantasty Lite II, the version I put on the Gameboy, which was a dumbed down version with less story in it and more action.
Eventually, after a bank loan, I made Fantasty VI, to come after Fantasty 64. The bank then took away around 1.5 million dollars off me and took me to about a million in debt. Cue bankruptcy and being bought out by EA.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2013, 03:47:47 pm »

I feel a bit sad.

The journey of my company, Land Wave, started off with the release of our first game, FOOTBAWL. It was alright. Not really good. Eventually, I got my first actually good game, Fantasty, names after a typo while trying to write Fantasy. Cue fifteen years of releasing Fantasty sequels  and various other games (Fantasty being the only successful one) until eventually I couldn't make any hits. The best game was Fantasty Lite II, the version I put on the Gameboy, which was a dumbed down version with less story in it and more action.
Eventually, after a bank loan, I made Fantasty VI, to come after Fantasty 64. The bank then took away around 1.5 million dollars off me and took me to about a million in debt. Cue bankruptcy and being bought out by EA.

:(

A good way to remain alive at the brink of bankruptcy is to make a really mainstream game like Fantasy/RPG or Military/Action. For Fantasy/RPG you just max everything related to dialogue, story and design and leave the rest at default, pretty much. Military/Action is just full out engine and graphics, story and such doesn't matter in Call of Duty.

Of course, it's no fun making games like that, but it's a good way to ensure at least a moderate success. If you're got multi-genres researched you could combine great combinations for even better reviews, for example Sci-Fi/RPG/Strategy.

Anyways, wouldn't this game be relatively easy to mod? I mean, it has no modding support, but there's no encryption or anything preventing people from doing it. It would be pretty neat if someone could add more story to the game after the PS4/X720, especially since the devs say there won't be any more content updates.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2013, 04:00:12 pm »

I was doing pretty well for a while. Had a few hits, nothing major. Got up to 100,000 fans and had 1.4 million in the bank. Figured it was time to develop a new engine and make my publishing debut. Dumping hundreds of thousands into research and development of a new engine, I nearly bankrupted the company. The engine was revolutionary -- dialogue trees, easter eggs, day-night cycles, AI companions, 3D Graphics V3, -- it was everything I needed it to be. With the engine complete, I was down to $200,000. Needing money fast, I developed a small business sim using the revolutionary new engine, titled "Cashflow". Development of this small game brought me to the brink of bankruptcy. I could not afford my $180,000 monthly costs. I took out a $500,000 loan from the bank.

Development of Cashflow finished at last, and I released it. Solid 8s all around. Enough people bought it for me to embark on my next major project: a ground-breaking school RPG targeted at children, developed for the Gameling. It would be the greatest game the world would ever know. Unfortunately, the money from Cashflow didn't last long enough. Just as development was wrapping up, I found myself in debt again. There were 40 bugs in the game, but I couldn't afford to keep my employees on staff any longer. I rushed the game out the door and fired everyone. The reviews were amazing despite the bugs. Solid 10s from everyone. The sales were just as incredible. I made 8 million off that game, but at what cost?

My talent was gone. My company was a shell of its former self. With the profit from School Master, I tried to assemble an elite team of designers, but the new hires were useless. The games I released were atrocious, panned by reviewer and consumer alike. When my cash reserves started to dwindle, I tried to cash in on my company's prior success. I developed a sequel, School Master 2, and poured millions into advertising. This was it. This was my last chance.

It was a complete disaster. The team I assembled could never do the original justice, and the hype was unreal. It tanked, and with it, so too did my company.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2013, 04:03:23 pm »

This thread brings nothing but sadness to my heart.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2013, 04:19:27 pm »

This thread brings nothing but sadness to my heart.

Wanna hear soemthing worse? My company made Hundreds of millions doing nothing but sequels to Call of Battle, never doing any real innovation beyond making it look prettier.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12