Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Game Dev Tycoon - Taking the 'Casual' out of Windows Marketplace  (Read 32554 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Game Dev Tycoon - Taking the 'Casual' out of Windows Marketplace
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2013, 09:36:53 am »

is this just game dev story for pc or it has something better/different?

I don't mind playing ripoff if they're better.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2013, 10:20:24 am »

I think it's a little odd people are calling it a Game Dev Story clone. There was Game Biz before this, and I mean, it's not exactly a saturated market anyway.

I just downloaded GDS. This GDT is the same exact thing, but simplified.

How can it be simpler that GDS? I mean I enjoyed that game but it was lacking in depth already. I take it that implies I should just avoid GDT?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2013, 10:28:24 am »

Quick question.

I noticed that Game Dev Story is available now on the Kindle for $2.50. Or I could buy Game Dev Tycoon for $8.00. Are they really similar? Is Game Dev Tycoon worth the extra money?
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2013, 10:40:00 am »

They're both very simple games. They're both casual games. They're both practically the same game except Tycoon has a Delorian because it's totally not ripping anyone off...
Go with Story if anything. It's portable and really easy to set down as many casual portables tend to be.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2013, 10:49:51 am »

GDT isn't really simplified. In fact it has more options(although they have negligible value) but GDS has oodles more charm and polish. Once again, for me it comes down to platform. If GDS was on PC I would never recommend GDT.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2013, 11:01:18 am »

options != depth.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2013, 11:09:32 am »

Really, if you have a portable device capable of playing GDS, just pick GDS, because you'll want to play it on the go.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2013, 11:11:27 am »

GDS is much more fun in my opinion. Much, much more depth production-wise. Most of GDT's features are a simple copy+paste from GDS. Only thing I can think of which is different is the 'bar's to manage time spent on a game. Which don't really change much since everyone just throws their points at it randomly anywho.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2013, 12:12:28 pm »

options != depth.

As you well know from your own ever expanding design, options only = depth when those options create meaningful reactions. In my experience, most of the options in GDT are almost entirely superficial.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2013, 02:05:32 pm »

I personally like Tycoon more than Story, if only because it allows you to make your own console. I'm still waiting for a proper electronic hardware manufacturing simulator, so this is as close as I can get.

Anyways, I'm having a bit of trouble progressing. The garage is easymode, I usually manage to get to the first office with a million or two, but after that it just goes downhill. The farthest I've gotten was the release of the DreamVast, around that point I just can't seem to earn more money than I spend.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2013, 03:12:03 pm »

I personally like Tycoon more than Story, if only because it allows you to make your own console.

I can tell from this that you have barely played Game Dev Story, if at all.

Why?

You can develop your own console in Game Dev Story.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2013, 03:26:32 pm »

I personally like Tycoon more than Story, if only because it allows you to make your own console. I'm still waiting for a proper electronic hardware manufacturing simulator, so this is as close as I can get.

Anyways, I'm having a bit of trouble progressing. The garage is easymode, I usually manage to get to the first office with a million or two, but after that it just goes downhill. The farthest I've gotten was the release of the DreamVast, around that point I just can't seem to earn more money than I spend.
There was a Zachtronics game about making electronics. It's Zachtronics, so you know it's probably the most thorough you're ever going to see made.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2013, 03:34:44 pm »

Bought it just for the funny article, but the game seems more or less based on random chance to me. Apparently, the configuration of the sliders is what's important to the reviews, but I've tried the same configuration on multiple playthroughs and had drastically different results.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2013, 04:21:44 pm »

Bought it just for the funny article, but the game seems more or less based on random chance to me. Apparently, the configuration of the sliders is what's important to the reviews, but I've tried the same configuration on multiple playthroughs and had drastically different results.

Not really, you probably assigned differently-skilled people to the sliders, which affects the outcome. For example, RPGs are only good when you go for World Design, Dialogues and 1:1 Gameplay/Wassisname (first blue slider). Also, the console matters a lot. However, if you want to test it more rigorously, get to Sequels and release a sequel just after the first game so all the sliders are the same and market shouldn't change a lot.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2013, 07:07:19 pm »

Good try on explaining it, but I tested this in the garage by loading a save and doing the exact same thing again.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12