Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Game Dev Tycoon - Taking the 'Casual' out of Windows Marketplace  (Read 32555 times)

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game Dev Tycoon - Taking the 'Casual' out of Windows Marketplace
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 04:30:12 pm »

Well, its pretty cute. it wont get you over thinking or really planning and honestly, it feels it should belong on any of the Moblie platforms rather than the P.C.

It ain't bad, but i think the 40 minutes of clicking stuff pretty much got me tired of it pretty quickly. there's a point where you just get all around 10 reviews and hips of sales without really doing anything smart to achieve it.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 04:33:06 pm »

I like the game but honestly, it's just not as good as GameDevStory. I will still play it because I'm patiently waiting on GDS 1 or 2 on PC.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 04:35:53 pm »

I'm playing GDS to give an objective comparison. They sure look similar but without playing both I can't say wether or not one is a ripoff. [I'm sure I'll buy GDS if it's better than GDT]

So yeah. Might be a big sign to not touch this right now if it is simply a ripoff with the publicity-inducing odd DRM. I only found out about GDS through this game, and if it is the same thing I've got quite a chip on my shoulder for these fellows.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 04:37:45 pm »

those very same people (yes, even us) have to understand that this move has paid off. SimCity is a commercially successful title and due to its always-online DRM, it sells well.

Yeaaaaaaah no it didn't and not my respect for this game has tanked (it isn't May yet! I can still be negative!) even though the people who wrote that article may not be the people who made that game.

You see... Spore was hated a lot more then SimCity and it was in fact one of the most pirated games of all time (possibly "THE" most pirated PC game of all time today). Yet it sold, it sold immensely.

Piracy rates and sales are not directly related.

So NO game, NO! Your fake business did not go out of business because everyone pirated your game. It went out of business because no one wanted to buy it. This is like that episode of the Proud family where Napster managed to actually shut down the music industry.

---

Oddly enough this wouldn't even make this the most preachy game I ever seen... the most still seems to be "A New Beginning" a game I'd letsplay if I could letsplay.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 04:44:11 pm by Neonivek »

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 04:44:42 pm »

Well, i am trying to arrange my thoughts about this game after giving an hour to it. but so far, that first "OMFG they are just a bunch of Zynga like cloners" reaction that i then buried deep inside starts to crawl out steadily and not that slowly.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 04:47:28 pm »

Well, i am trying to arrange my thoughts about this game after giving an hour to it. but so far, that first "OMFG they are just a bunch of Zynga like cloners" reaction that i then buried deep inside starts to crawl out steadily and not that slowly.

Probably because it is sort of exactly like that other game development game.

I think the major issue with these games is sort of that... They aren't Pizza Tycoon

They are like Pizza Tycoon without the Pizza or the restaurant.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 04:55:28 pm »

I think it's a little odd people are calling it a Game Dev Story clone. There was Game Biz before this, and I mean, it's not exactly a saturated market anyway.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 05:05:19 pm »

I think it's a little odd people are calling it a Game Dev Story clone. There was Game Biz before this, and I mean, it's not exactly a saturated market anyway.

I just downloaded GDS. This GDT is the same exact thing, but simplified.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 05:07:18 pm »

It's a neat game, but it doesn't really do much to stand out from the other game dev games. A little ways into it, it really begins to feel very same-y and repetitive. It also feels more like a flash game or a mobile game than a PC game.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 06:24:11 pm »

Game Dev Story is everything this game is, but better. It's only for Android [I downloaded it to try it], but it's actually surprisingly in-depth. This game might be fun, but it really is the same thing as Dev Story.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 06:31:54 pm »

It's too bad they just pirated Game Dev Story and made another casual game.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 07:29:40 pm »

While I believe there is a strong market for similar games and that people are overly sensitive about games that enter niches (Heck I wish people copied monster rancher more)... This game can easily be that it just doesn't do anything better then the games it is competing with other then graphics (Much like the games that copies monster rancher)

Which is where the complaints come from.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 07:40:34 pm by Neonivek »

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 02:10:58 am »

The real irony here is the disgusting double standards and hypocrisy journalists and some youtubers are showing (more like finally revealing) in this case. i wonder what would have been  their reaction if zynga had made a game so similar to another game.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2013, 04:28:11 am »

The real irony here is the disgusting double standards and hypocrisy journalists and some youtubers are showing (more like finally revealing) in this case. i wonder what would have been  their reaction if zynga had made a game so similar to another game.

If Zynga ripped off another game, no-one would notice, because it'd just be classic Zynga. Seriously, their CEO apparently makes money to be able to buy himself a volcano lair to be able to supervillain harder.

As for the GDS, GDS itself is a port of a 1997 game. And I remember playing game dev tycoons (non-capitalised) back in early Aughts (interchangeable with the first Sims, so I guess not much later that 2003) and nobody made a big deal of that game ripping off anything.

Yes, it's a bit cheap to jump on the bandwagon, but, after playing Game Dev Tycoon demo I must say this game is criminally fun to play and has a nice look to it. In fact, threw my money on the screen, and I'm not much of a Casual fan.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2013, 05:57:56 am »

Game Dev Story creator, Kairopark.

Huh... I have been looking(not-really) for some I-Pad games...  and they have demos too.  Will have to come back to this post later.

(Also, Ninja Village is Naruto in real Japan.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12