Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Game Dev Tycoon - Taking the 'Casual' out of Windows Marketplace  (Read 32511 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

Replay gaming history. Create best selling games. Research new technologies. Become the leader of the market and gain worldwide fans.

Game Dev Tycoon
Game Dev Tycoon™ is a business simulation game for Windows 8. In Game Dev Tycoon you replay the history of the gaming industry by starting your own video game development company in the 80s. Create best selling games. Research new technologies and invent new game types. Become the leader of the market and gain worldwide fans.

Start out in the 80s
Start your adventure in a small garage office in the 80s. Enjoy the hand-crafted level design while you develop your first simple games. Gain experience, unlock new options and create your first game engine.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Create games your way
In Game Dev Tycoon the decisions you make during development really matter. Decide which areas you want to focus on. Does your game need more gameplay or should you focus more on quests? These decisions will have a major impact on the success of your game.

Expand your company
Once you have successfully released a few games you can move into your own office and forge a world-class development team. Hire staff, train them and unlock new options.

Make larger, more complex games
With experience and a good team, you can release larger, more complex games. Larger games bring new challenges and you will have to manage your team well to deliver hit games.

Unlock labs and conduct industry-changing projects
Move beyond just releasing games and conduct industry-changing projects by unlocking labs later in the game. There are a number of secret projects that can be completed.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The full game has many more features which are not listed here to prevent spoilers.

Less Social. Less Ville. More Game.
We love simulation games and that’s why we are proud to bring the very first simulation game to the Windows Store. It isn’t one of these ‘social’ or ‘ville’ type games either but a solid single player tycoon game which have become way too rare in our opinion. In Game Dev Tycoon there are no virtual coins that you need to buy. You don’t need to invite or bother your friends to be able to progress and developing a game or gaining experience doesn’t have you waiting for hours or days, it happens right in front of you. In order to give you this experience the game is not free but has a small up-front price. By purchasing the game you can enjoy a pure experience without constant reminders to purchase something and without distracting ads. You also support a small start-up and help to make sure that we can bring you more games in the future.
www.greenheartgames.com

A new Tycoon-style game, created by a couple of fellows who were tired of 'Casual' games dominating the Windows marketplace, so they decided to make a "Real game." This is the result.

You start out in your garage and slowly work you way up, along the way fulfilling contracts, doing publishing deals *gasp*, creating your own engines, making games so good that they set industry standards, hacking [the first *special* thing I've found], and more. There's lots of hidden neatness rammed into this game that I can barely cover it after sinking ~3-4 hours into it.

I liked Gamebiz alot, so this game really appeals to me. It will to you as well if you enjoy the genre.

Oh, and it has one of the best DRMs ever.

Gameplay video. [Website is full of info but has been down for me today]

Discuss?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game Dev Tycoon - Taking the 'Casual' out of Windows Marketplace
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 02:21:44 pm »

Pity the website is currently being unintentionally DDoSed by people interested in the piracy thing.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 02:26:23 pm »

Pity the website is currently being unintentionally DDoSed by people interested in the piracy thing.

Really what the hell..... *sighs* I find it funny how developers put in a fun little DRM to discourage piracy and lose business from assholes on the Internet because DDOS, I take it these guys are Indy ?

Anyway Mitch how much is the game? And worth buying ?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 02:35:37 pm by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 02:37:07 pm »

Oooh I love games like this - I poopsocked for like 2 days straight with Game Dev Story on Android in spite of its flaws, and the gamebiz ones were pretty engaging too.  I'll have to remember to check back once the ddos is over :p

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 02:50:04 pm »

This is probably the brightest marketing stunt of the year. that alone gave an otherwise fairly obscure game with very low chances of success an easy ride through greenlight and a large hip of sales.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 03:16:07 pm by burningpet »

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 02:54:11 pm »

Really what the hell..... *sighs* I find it funny how developers put in a fun little DRM to discourage piracy and lose business from assholes on the Internet because DDOS, I take it these guys are Indy ?
It seems you didnt notice the "unintentionally".

It's a pretty common thing when an indie game gets some publicity. Websites crashing all over the place.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 03:11:29 pm »

It's a pretty common thing when an indie game gets some publicity. Websites crashing all over the place.

Oh I did miss that silly me xD I thought it was being DDOS by angry pirates :P

Also I dislike it when people throw around clone I mean is it really a bad thing having a much more in depth game dev tycoon type game thing.

Has anyone played this and is it worth buying ?

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 03:16:47 pm »

Oh I did miss that silly me xD I thought it was being DDOS by angry pirates :P

Also I dislike it when people throw around clone I mean is it really a bad thing having a much more in depth game dev tycoon type game thing.

Has anyone played this and is it worth buying ?

True. in hindsight it was bit foolish of me making such accusations without looking into them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 03:35:11 pm »

What is this DDoSed?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 03:37:32 pm »

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 03:38:13 pm »

What is this DDoSed?

Denial of service or distributed denial of service: this is where the victim by intention or accident is spammed with a lot of requests to their domain or IP address stoping any legitimate requests from reaching the destination because everything is already so clogged up with requests from other sources. 

If you we're wondering what it was, if you are asking what is being DDOSed then nothing I made a mistake haha :P

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 03:59:15 pm »

Damn, my first GDT game, a 2d medieval simulation got better reviews than Towns.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 04:14:01 pm »

Damn, my first GDT game, a 2d medieval simulation got better reviews than Towns.

How is it ? Is there alot to it?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 04:15:52 pm »

* Zangi contributes to the DDoS by trying to refresh page a buncha times.

Also, PTW
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 04:25:01 pm »

This game is fun, I've been playing it since I made the topic, sorry. I think it's pretty alright, even if people around the net are screaming it's a Game Dev Story ripoff.

I'm up to 50 million in the bank after 10 years, I keep releasing 8-9.75 rated games. Not sure if this is supposed to get more difficult, but all I know is if you've got 4 employees you can easily produce rank 10+ games.

I'll play a bit more but if it doesn't, well, liven up, I don't see me going the other 20+ years. I'm really wanting the ability to start your own console about now.

In short: This game is fun, a bit simple once you figure things out, not sure how well it pans out late-game. Right now after sinking a good 4 hours into it I'd rate it 7/10. No major bugginess, but then again nothing mold breaking here.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12