Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Game Dev Tycoon - Taking the 'Casual' out of Windows Marketplace  (Read 32503 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game Dev Tycoon - Taking the 'Casual' out of Windows Marketplace
« Reply #165 on: May 07, 2013, 12:09:31 am »

Does the game allow you to make sequels and side games and get toy marketing?

I want to kind of play the cash cow aspect of videogame creation, especially since that is often more lucrative then good honest videogame creation.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 12:16:11 am by Neonivek »

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 07, 2013, 05:29:40 am »

If making constant expansions for a MMO and releasing them with hardware that's themed count, then yes.
Magma is overrated.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 07, 2013, 08:33:03 am »

Does the game allow you to make sequels and side games and get toy marketing?

Sequels are in, side-games not so much. And no, no toy marketing.
However there are several ways to market the games to make, so you can pretend it's included in one of those.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 07, 2013, 09:53:56 am »

Just finished the game with a score of 46.6 million

I'm curious of what scores other people got?

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 07, 2013, 12:21:07 pm »

Just finished the game with a score of 46.6 million

I'm curious of what scores other people got?

My current game finished with 37 million, but I kept going afterwards.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 08, 2013, 09:01:14 pm »

game dev tycoon and Game dev story are very  easy games. I didn't like them very much. You guys should try http://www.veloci.dk/gamebiz/index.asp?visnu=GB3.htm if you really want a challenging game :D

Now that is a VERY interesting concept... It is a game where the real life market actually does affect things. Where you will end up needing to compete against games like "Pokémon" and "Final Fantasy" and "Super Mario" and "Kings Quest" and "7th Guest" (It sold decently well. It was what I'd call a hardware game)...

As well as fantasy games.

MIND YOU, I have no idea if they just use the names or if they use the same qualities.

GameBiz's developer went to lengths to document most/all of the major publisher's games for the period. Pretty impressive considering it spans from Atari 2600 to things like DOS.

All in all, GDS/GDT have little re-playability for me. It's simply throwing numbers into a pool and hoping the extremely irrational reviews come it at 8+ for each. As that's what the sales are based on. A number thrown randomly to your game because your 'employees' decided to throw points into the pool. On the other hand, GameBiz handles things like demand and actual market changes in systems, developer tools, piracy, and real console development. Not to mention the in-development part of the games is a bit less.. Let's say, kiddy.

There's a reason I love games like this, and it's due to GameBiz, really. So whenever you get bored of this or Dev Story may as well play GameBiz 3 for the depth that's missing from these games. Only thing feature-wise I like is the whole finding out new topics. Otherwise, pfft, too simplified in comparison.

In other news GameBiz 4 is supposed to still be in development, so maybe in the next couple years we'll have something that simply completely blows this stuff out of the water.

Oh, my highest score was 53 million. With me outputting junk for about 10 years since the reviewers seem to think I can make a game with 10k design points [I could only get around 6k with maxed staff, I think I got 7k one time] and give me 2-5 point reviews. This happened to me generally every single time I get past the PS4/720 part. It's kinda silly and shows the weakness of the underlying engine.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 09:06:48 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 09, 2013, 02:09:30 am »

Oh, my highest score was 53 million. With me outputting junk for about 10 years since the reviewers seem to think I can make a game with 10k design points [I could only get around 6k with maxed staff, I think I got 7k one time] and give me 2-5 point reviews. This happened to me generally every single time I get past the PS4/720 part. It's kinda silly and shows the weakness of the underlying engine.

I get the impression that the score calculation works more on "have the right areas been targeted in development" more than the amount of points put into the game.
Magma is overrated.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 09, 2013, 02:16:43 am »

Yup. Right areas can be very important. Don't be afraid to be radical in devopment choices. (Ie, one to max, other to nothing)

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 09, 2013, 02:25:11 am »

Balance between design and technology also matters a lot. Each genre has a sweet spot for D:T ratio, getting more points in one could actually affect negatively the reviews.

Although I still don't like the way reviews work, or sales for that matter, the difference in sales for a 8.5 game and a 9.5 is absurd.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 09, 2013, 10:06:34 am »

Unless I'm wrong in my math, Gamebiz 3 costs around $23. That's a lot for a text based game.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 09, 2013, 11:08:52 am »

Hmm made me look - looks like gamebiz 3 is 15 euros, almost $20 USD.  Yeah that's still a lot, I know I had fun w/gamebiz 2 and wanted to play 3, but I was really put off by the price too.  The problem was I only had about 2 days of fun with gb2, it only took that long to play a couple quick starts and figure out how to max out everything and then play a full game to win, and I was worried that 3 would be the same.  It's still on my list, but after many other games with a lot more bang for the gaming buck.  MANY other games, especially with the juicy bundles/gamersgate/steam sales.  And since they only sell the one game, it's not likely I'll be checking back there if it's ever on sale.

Oh well, maybe I'll get to it someday, like Hollywood Mogul...

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 09, 2013, 11:44:37 am »

Hmm made me look - looks like gamebiz 3 is 15 euros, almost $20 USD.  Yeah that's still a lot, I know I had fun w/gamebiz 2 and wanted to play 3, but I was really put off by the price too.  The problem was I only had about 2 days of fun with gb2, it only took that long to play a couple quick starts and figure out how to max out everything and then play a full game to win, and I was worried that 3 would be the same.  It's still on my list, but after many other games with a lot more bang for the gaming buck.  MANY other games, especially with the juicy bundles/gamersgate/steam sales.  And since they only sell the one game, it's not likely I'll be checking back there if it's ever on sale.

Oh well, maybe I'll get to it someday, like Hollywood Mogul...

From what I could glean from the demo, GB3 doesn't look like it will be the same as GB2

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 09, 2013, 04:42:17 pm »

GB3 is more menu driven, in fact it look like a massive window app with a database stiched to it, but god this game is fun..... I went another route tho, i started with leadership, with hardware facility and went straight to build console since day 1, man my first console had to be a hit... i was maxed out in debt and as i started my console production i went real close to max out my credit too but good marketing and good publisher making about 45 game for my console as contract really help and started selling in no time, then i made a computer this time, expanding my facility and researching some mobo and miniaturizing and went to make a computer this time, by the time i was ready to release my computer to the world,i had all my debt paid, out of credit marging and a few milion extra.

The computer wasnt the success i hoped for but with enough marketing and hiring a game dev team really helped it. I kept researching better chip size and mobo while making 1-2 game for my console helped me, my first 2 game aws a 8/10 and then 10/10 after getting more knowledge in my hardware. Currently in my game i *bought* some high end employee, decreasing their salary to 5k a month instead of 60-70 by giving them a large signing bonus, I have kickass teams, 2 hardware relate and 2 game devloper, i have 45% in all company share where their stock shares worth less than 3200, im rolling on hundreds of milion and most of my team are light years in front of the other company team in terms of ratings. My hardware are twice as powerfull as the other company, all my games comes out 9/10 10/10, im self publishing and its only year 89....

So either the game is broken for me and its wayyyy too easy..... or i exploited something i didnt know existed. Oh forgot to say i have all building upgraded to max exept office at 5 and warehouse at 8.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 11, 2013, 02:16:08 pm »

I just finished my second game with a score of 51.4 million. Alter Egosoft, my company, released nothing but RPGs. I spent most of the last few years rushing to get AAA games and MMO, make engines and work on specialized training. The game ended a week after the release of my first MMO. It wasn't quite the success I was hoping for, but still managed to get an 8.5 in average reviews.

That is only the second game I finish. The first got something like 18M score, but that's partly because I got bored and let the game run for a few years doing nothing. I usually either go bankrupt early in the second stage or lose interest early/mid in the third stage.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]