Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 65

Author Topic: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)  (Read 137232 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)
« Reply #810 on: November 28, 2017, 04:44:24 pm »

just checked the forums today and the last devblog  talks about the revamp of the Building Designer and the city mechanics.

the old system of resource zones and grid based buildings with foundation flags will be gone. instead, buildings can be freely placed on a planet (there will be new platforms that allow for oceanic and even aerial structures it seems).

it seems sovereignty will only be placed once a capitol building is setup and this, along with police stations will be the markers for territorial control.

roads will still be possible to do, but they will serve to ease movement around cities.

oh and they will be fully destructable.

i kinda like that solution. it gives it a more RTS style of territorial administration. never liked the "capture the flag" mechanic of conquest.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: November 30, 2017, 09:58:36 am »

here's the  complete devblog with all the details. man i wish Hazeron worked by donations instead of subs, the recent changes make it so enticing.

http://hazeron.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=125&t=9373

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: December 03, 2017, 02:58:24 pm »

seems the new building designer was released today http://hazeron.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=125&t=9375

its still barebones atm. but players can start messing around with it. it will probably get the same treat as the spaceship designer and get updated over time until its more or less complete.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: December 03, 2017, 03:06:43 pm »

Yep, there is quite a bit of functionality of the new buildings that is a bit broken, but that is to be expected. The main benefit of it is self contained factories that have their own housing, so something like a mine + smelter with enough housing to man it.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: December 03, 2017, 05:34:36 pm »

here's the  complete devblog with all the details. man i wish Hazeron worked by donations instead of subs, the recent changes make it so enticing.

http://hazeron.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=125&t=9373

If i remember correctly, before the whole subs/payment model, it was in fact, donation supported... and apparently got negligable donations, hence why he switched to the current model... i don't know if hes actually making much more or not concidering how small the playerbase is now.

Hazeron is a really easy game to get excited about, but it's also a easy game to get burned out on. I still miss it but know if i played it i'd burn out in a few days / a week of playing.

EDIT: I stand corrected, while there was a great deal of conversation about a donation model, it was rejected by Haxus several times.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 11:31:06 pm by Rift »

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: December 03, 2017, 08:08:18 pm »

If i remember correctly, before the whole subs/payment model, it was in fact, donation supported... and apparently got negligable donations, hence why he switched to the current model... i don't know if hes actually making much more or not concidering how small the playerbase is now.
Haxus has never accepted donations to his for profit company.  He supported Hazeron until he brought it back as pay to play from out of pocket and then the profits from selling his software company.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: July 13, 2018, 01:02:59 am »

Hi. I registered to the forums other day and finally got time to post. made my account here just for this thread. I was on google searching for a Spore space game, but not as boring and mundane as Spore space stage. I found hazeron on some forum (somethingaweful I think or however it was spelled) of people saying its sorta similar in that you build cities (better than in spore supposedly), can land on planets, explore a huge universe that can colonize. Then saw this thread when I was researching hazeron.

However, the "trial" wants me to pay 5 dollars just to try it. WTF? I have never seen a demo or a trial for a game cost money, let alone a whole 5 dollars. I guess one used to buy magazines for demos lol, but even then I would often get free magazines. Then its 10 days (which is fine), but then I'd have to pay 10 dollars...so...pretty much its really the average price of an MMO for the first month. I'd be okay if it was 1-2 dollars, even though most other games offer a free trial/demo (if they offer at all) lol. And even 10 dollars seems like I could get a lot better worth of my money elsewhere, if I want a more MMO-like game.

I do see this thread...at very least...used to be active. Looks like game was even free at one point.

Game looks like what I'm looking for besides that though. From what I've seen (maybe I'm wrong), it does sorta look like a much better version of Spore space stage. But that price really is a wall, that and the other huge thing seems to be very little updates with a very tiny player base. And all the threads I find of this game are pretty much as dead as this thread. Maybe that+less than 5 active players i most I've seen, is a sign the game is dead or something? I don't want to put 5 dollars in to find a dead game.

What are your all thoughts on the game as it currently is?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: July 13, 2018, 01:42:40 am »

Playerbase is what it is. Maybe it'll get more popular in the future, but that's unlikely. If you're fine with >5/>10 concurrent player count (though the total active player count is at least somewhat higher), then you'll get through. It's honestly not a game that hinges much on lots of players active on the same time, though it helps.
And while I mildly dislike the direction of them, this game definitely has a lot of updates. The single developer is, despite his flaws, pretty damn dedicated to the game for the time being and his updates are large. He's been completely overhauling some very core components of the game, making lots of work in a pretty good time.

It's definitely not a dead game. Extraordinarily tiny community with some very annoying community members and an extraordinarily dedicated developer for a very niche game. If $5 isn't that much to you, trying it wouldn't be the worst idea.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: July 13, 2018, 01:54:59 am »

Thanks for the reply Chiefwaffles :) That is good to know its still updated and not dead. I'm surprised its considered very niche though, is it because most people can't get past the graphics or is it just cause of the entry fee or a mix of things? Cause the type of game it is, I'd think it attract more players for gameplay.

But for the price, 5 dollars is very little. Heck, one month I paid for ESO, WoW, FFXIV and LOTRO all in the same month so I could TRY them without limits lol. So I guess paying 5 dollars isn't much different for me personally, since I'll always pay to avoid any limitations for MMOs.

I think I'll go and give it a try though, it isn't much really. I was just surprised the entry wasn't the typical entry MMOs have. But it does look right up my alley. Thanks again for the info.

(edit: I do have a question before I start...

I see on wiki there are different galaxies? The I guess "default" I assume Shores of Hazeron which is largest and pvp/conflict area. Then there is the Targoss which is largest of the PVE ones. As someone who is just going in as solo since I don't actually have any friends who'd join me cause graphics are "bad" to them. Is there any reason to join the Hazeron galaxy and not the Targoss galaxy? Looking at the stats on site, most choose the pvp stuff it seems according to rankings.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 02:05:10 am by Trolldefender99 »

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: July 13, 2018, 06:26:37 am »

Veil of Targoss used to be technologicaly capped, for example you could not get warp drives in there (so you had to slowly hop from star to star with wormholes).
No idea if it is still handled that way, the technology level system was overhauled a year or so ago and I've never personally been to VoT so I didn't pay attention.  :-\

You always start out in the "main" galaxy (Hazeron or Targoss, depending if PvP or PvE), to access the other galaxies you have to find a black hole and traverse it with a high tech wormhole drive. Or something like that, I've only done it a few times and those were years ago.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: July 13, 2018, 08:46:16 am »

One reason it's not popular is because Haxus (the developer) has (or had in the past) a tendency to drive away players.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: July 13, 2018, 12:53:23 pm »

Yup. I've been around since U2 and I agree, he hasn't always been the most... uncomplicated person to deal with.
He's gotten much better though.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: July 13, 2018, 01:04:34 pm »

Is he better or worse than the dev from Land of Lords though?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: July 13, 2018, 11:05:11 pm »

The forums also had plenty of toxic weird BS and minimodding left and right. If the same effort of the weirdness in there were applied to the game, SoH would be something else.  :D

I always miss the game itself though, haven't played the latest overhauls. Last time I played I dropped due to it being too time consuming and half of my time was spent re-deploying ships that killed themselves and stuff like that. I did get the chance to board ships with QuakeIV though.  :P

I think it's definitely worth a try, even if it's for learning how cool [and clunky] obscure games can be.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #824 on: July 14, 2018, 12:51:57 pm »

Is he better or worse than the dev from Land of Lords though?
Haxus is relatively competent. The Frenchman just enterietly escapes description. I think everything Haxus did was... something bearable, until the whole "I'm closing the game guys because I threw a tantrum guys bye", and only bringing it back much later, and in a subscription form.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 65