Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 65

Author Topic: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)  (Read 137205 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)
« Reply #735 on: September 18, 2016, 08:37:17 pm »

Auto-generated name. Although I want to have a WAHRRGARBL TL32 ship one day.  :P

Yep, I had to get everything to TL2. Some stuff hilariously refused to upgrade for almost a whole day, though.
I got a crappy space station up, because I forgot they have [almost?] solar system range for trading, so having one as soon as you can is pretty useful so your NPC pilots don't take forever to land on airports. I wonder if Haxus made low-rank pilots be way too cautious/slow, because sometimes they approach the planet from far away at around 200m/s..which is silly.

The sensors and grav-drives that look bent are on a sharp-angle part of the hull, and the angle of the screenshot really made them look bent.
Hazeron graphix can fry your mind.  :P

EDIT:
Oh, I forgot to mention..I know this game for years and everyday I learn something new:
- I never understood why the Path Checking always said Passengers had access to things from hull doors...because I never realized Passengers have clearance to open/close hull doors (which they never do, unless you order them AFAIK).
- There's procreation in the game:
If you impregnate a female avatar, she'll become pregnant and have your child, which will be a 'Highborn' avatar (has some bonuses like Recalling faster), or if you have a child with an NPC you get a 'Demiavatar' avatar. In both cases, the avatar will go to your account for you to control. And Demiavatars are a mix of Officers with Avatars: you can control them, but when you log out / play with another character, they keep online and behave like an NPC. In other words: impregnate as many females as you want for early bonus officers. (Not sure how long it takes for the female to give birth, though).
I don't know for how long this feature has been on the game, but I never heard about it and it's one of the most obscure and weird things I've ever bumped into a videogame. Now I know why there are decently-advanced empires full of Princes and Emperors with similar names.

That's what I get for not doing tutorials (I did them all years ago, come on), or not really reading on every single feature and detail - except for city building, which by reading and using reference guides for pop limit will save you HOURS of micromanagement and fixing issues.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 08:46:56 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: September 18, 2016, 09:48:37 pm »

I still have absolutely no idea what designs are good or not.

And I know interest for this game is on the floor right now, but if anyone knows any tips & tricks for ship design, I'd appreciate.  :)
I don't remember if Hazeron is like Starmade, where some stuff is more effective/efficient if you spread in certain patterns, of it's just "more units, more stats".

If the design studio still lets you place components overlapping walls, multi-deck comb-shaped ships so you can take advantage of that (and easily) without making them horrifically fragile (which is what happens with triangle stack ships).

(Unfortunately, I no longer have any screenshots)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Deantwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: September 20, 2016, 12:45:49 am »

I've kind of burned out after reaching TL7 - which is where you get Teleporters, and it's the end of most of the 'new tech'. I think the next actual thing is TL27 for warpdrives, barring Magmium and Vulcium, which just are better versions of metal.
I know the feeling, had the same thing happen to me the first time I reached TL7 too.
But you are incorrect with your warp-drive TL, it is possible to create warp-drives at TL24.
See: hazeron.com/wiki/Technology#Advanced_Technology_Unlocks

There are plenty of people willing to share some tech, including me. But most new players I ask trend to decline because they want to reach it on their own.

not to mention that the fee is way too high (10$ for a month +5$ for activation, right?) for what it is now.
It is $10/month, there is no activation cost. Account activation happen with your first payment, it does not matter which.
You have the option to have your first payment on be for half a month for $5. So you don't really save or lose anything one way or the other.
The only exceptions being if you buy 6 months or a full year which is $55 and $100.
See: hazeron.com/wiki/Account

Most MMO I have seen have a subscription of $15 or more, so in comparison Hazeron is actually cheaper than the average.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 12:48:14 am by Deantwo »

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: September 20, 2016, 01:44:12 am »

Most MMO I have seen have a subscription of $15 or more, so in comparison Hazeron is actually cheaper than the average.
$10 a month for a mostly singleplayer game where the dev's best friend will delete your fleets if you impinge on his ego. Interesting proposition.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: September 20, 2016, 01:54:55 am »

My point stands. TL27 is pretty similar to TL24. And getting free tech is even worse.

Besides, even when I do get to TL24 it'd be about a day or two of messing around with my shiny new warp drives, then back to the same old thing. Once I have a stable source of income (trade ships), a decent amount of colonies, and research set up. There's just not really much to do other than "expand". I'd imagine there being more if there were tons of other active empires, but even then.

Sure, I can go hunting for higher quality materials, but it's just making more cities but on different planets.

Hazeron's fun. It's just not fun for a long period of time in a solo empire.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Deantwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: September 20, 2016, 05:29:57 am »

$10 a month for a mostly singleplayer game where the dev's best friend will delete your fleets if you impinge on his ego. Interesting proposition.
Only singleplayer if you play it alone like that, but the "make your own fun" thing doesn't suit everyone, even I can get bored with it.

Haxus is the only moderator now. But yeah, bad moderators can be found in any game/community, not to mention that everyone can have a bad day. I don't know how that event went down, but I have heard about it a number of times.

Neither of those two points has anything to do with the price point though, but rather your personal opinion of the game's worth.

Hazeron's fun. It's just not fun for a long period of time in a solo empire.
Yeah, most of my time is spend visiting new empires that start in the eastern cluster, and I like to help new players.
The game could use some more stuff to do, either content or player activity.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 06:06:43 am by Deantwo »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: September 20, 2016, 06:25:16 am »

Deantwo, you're a Bay12er? Huh..I've been using your HazeronAdviser and it's saving me so much time.  :P

I've been having a lot of fun, and still getting the hang. Turns out I wasn't as good or as bright as I believed. Got at TL5 finally, and decided to go exploring for the first time..It's actually the first time I go out and find/contact someone. Weird enough, there's nothing on the 7m range scanners, nothing on the Tactical Scan..when suddenly, a pirate pops in telling me to stand down. I barely outrun him and make it back to the capitol and already planned my invasion.
First inhabited planet I find is a pirate planet, probably an abandoned player city that revolted. I have no idea how I survived on an unarmed/unarmored TL2 scanner ship.

Next, I go after some emissions a few jumps away from my capital..and much to my disappointment, it belongs to a huge top-5 TL32 empire, right fokin' there. It might be just an outpost, or a personal place for a player, or even a test zone..but..meh. Should've went Frontier. Here's hoping they're friendly.

Now I'm headed for close emissions on another direction, and it looks like it has 5 settled systems on the same sector. Again, it's nice to see the difference when you're a complete noob vs. when have some idea of what you're doing: took me ages to find that first pirate planet through wormholes, but now I'm navigating around much better.

Edit: Couldn't find a direct route to the emissions quickly, so I just ordered a deadhead there and return to base. Once I wake up I'll see the results.  :P
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 07:09:33 am by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Deantwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: September 20, 2016, 07:22:34 am »

Deantwo, you're a Bay12er? Huh..
For a total of two days and a little under 6 hours.
So, guess I am still new. A bit sad that the Bay12 SpaceStation13 server isn't the same forum, since I have been playing there lately.

I've been using your HazeronAdviser and it's saving me so much time.  :P
Glad it is being of use to you. ^^
I really need to get back to work on that. >_<

I've been having a lot of fun, and still getting the hang. Turns out I wasn't as good or as bright as I believed. Got at TL5 finally, and decided to go exploring for the first time..It's actually the first time I go out and find/contact someone. Weird enough, there's nothing on the 7m range scanners, nothing on the Tactical Scan..when suddenly, a pirate pops in telling me to stand down. I barely outrun him and make it back to the capitol and already planned my invasion.
First inhabited planet I find is a pirate planet, probably an abandoned player city that revolted. I have no idea how I survived on an unarmed/unarmored TL2 scanner ship.

Next, I go after some emissions a few jumps away from my capital..and much to my disappointment, it belongs to a huge top-5 TL32 empire, right fokin' there. It might be just an outpost, or a personal place for a player, or even a test zone..but..meh. Should've went Frontier. Here's hoping they're friendly.

Now I'm headed for close emissions on another direction, and it looks like it has 5 settled systems on the same sector. Again, it's nice to see the difference when you're a complete noob vs. when have some idea of what you're doing: took me ages to find that first pirate planet through wormholes, but now I'm navigating around much better.
Awesome story. Curious as to who you encountered, but the likelihood of them attacking you unprovoked is slim.
Wonder if the other emissions are my sectors, I did notice that new empires are slowly starting to popup in my end of the cluster. Not sure who you are in-game though.

clone95

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: September 20, 2016, 12:45:29 pm »

Not really reading the thread but, are people from here playing this?

Is there like a Bay12 civilization of subscribers? When I played Hazeron I remember doing some fairly nifty things like getting 'assigned' by the civ I joined to building up a moonbase and administering it.

It was a nifty time, back when it and Starquest were both around. Young me was in a golden age of good sci-fi and it all went away.

I'd love to get back into it, if there's something of value to still play these days.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: September 20, 2016, 12:50:25 pm »

There are a couple guys from here playing presently that seem to be open to new recruits.

Overall though, I'd vaguely advise against it.  The only real reasons to fight (or interact at all) were generally chauvinistic, and now that is more or less gone too.  For the most part all there is to do is build up your empire, and then you sit on it.  There are no practical reasons to interact with other groups.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

clone95

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: September 20, 2016, 12:53:16 pm »

I mean I was never much of a fighter in Hazeron to begin with. The game was too clunky/laggy and I preferred the pseudo-citybuilding and generally chill nature of designing ships and exploring space.

Or rather, I enjoyed making a half-dozen shitty ships before realizing I was missing a piece, blew those ships up, then started over multiple times. Thems were the days.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: September 20, 2016, 12:55:54 pm »

Sure, its great for that.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Deantwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: September 20, 2016, 01:26:36 pm »

I mean I was never much of a fighter in Hazeron to begin with. The game was too clunky/laggy and I preferred the pseudo-citybuilding and generally chill nature of designing ships and exploring space.
The lag has been pretty much removed, still a little jittery when it comes to mouse-look, but it is survivable.
City building and spacecraft designing works fine, if you are into that kind of thing you will likely enjoy it.

But as other have said, there are a lack of players and player interaction. Not necessarily a reason to disregard the game, but you should be aware of it going in.

clone95

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: September 20, 2016, 01:28:50 pm »

The lag has been pretty much removed, still a little jittery when it comes to mouse-look, but it is survivable.
City building and spacecraft designing works fine, if you are into that kind of thing you will likely enjoy it.

But as other have said, there are a lack of players and player interaction. Not necessarily a reason to disregard the game, but you should be aware of it going in.

Aye, the plan is to maybe join Waffles and run my own tiny Empire on the side. We'll see how things go - I bought the 15 days for now.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: September 20, 2016, 02:22:56 pm »

Nice to see more people joining. Maybe one day we can all meet once we reach TL32.  :P
Also, if people are wanting to play the game for fights and wars...even though there doesn't seem to be a lot of active players, I bet fights can be found. I doubt any non-TL32 empire would be ready for it, though.
But if you enjoy city/empire-building and fixing/automating logistics, and sometimes hunting for pirates, it can be fun if you can get past the laggy ship movement and UI.

I came back and my ship's still deadheading. So either I underestimated a LOT the time it would take, or my ship stopped moving/logged out with me. Weird.
I might have to recall back home and play with another ship, and way for this one to come back.

Deantwo, you're a Bay12er? Huh..
For a total of two days and a little under 6 hours.
So, guess I am still new. A bit sad that the Bay12 SpaceStation13 server isn't the same forum, since I have been playing there lately.
Oh, welcome. I hope you can find Blood for the Blood God.  :)
It's been years since I played SS13, it used to be extremely laggy for me. Gotta try that again.

Awesome story. Curious as to who you encountered, but the likelihood of them attacking you unprovoked is slim.
Wonder if the other emissions are my sectors, I did notice that new empires are slowly starting to popup in my end of the cluster. Not sure who you are in-game though.

Yeah, I like the idea that people won't simply noobstomp all around for no reason. I forgot to mention a TL32 empire visited me and went away when I was offline, and made no contact. It might be their systems I'm currently deadheading into, but I'm not sure.
I'll give you a hint of my avatar name: Starts with Gabe.  :P
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 65