Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 65

Author Topic: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)  (Read 137215 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)
« Reply #720 on: September 15, 2016, 07:10:34 pm »

And yes. You can drag spaceports with a tractor beam. Although Starports are still useless because you don't need FTL drives in the dragged entity in order to bring it through a wormhole.
*waves hands around in exasperation*
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 15, 2016, 07:12:21 pm »

I was on my phone, so my question was rather dumb as I couldn't read the changelog, but..
Target must be a spacecraft. Nothing else can be towed with a tractor beam.

Can they really be towed?
I (and probably everyone else) always wanted to sit a huge space station near a system's wormholes.

Also, Chiefwaffles I hope you're good at designing stuff. I used to suck (no patience) with the old designer, I am pretty sure my new designs will be disasters.
Couldn't play today yet, though.

PS: Kot, aren't you willing to join us in a quest of dwarven efforts?  :P
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #722 on: September 15, 2016, 07:15:46 pm »

If you're willing to pay for that quest. I am more than broke at the moment and even if I had money I wouldn't proably give Haxus a dime. :V
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 15, 2016, 07:17:54 pm »

The designer still hasn't changed yet, actually. Haxus half-implemented what was essentially his own version of a 3d-modelling program and packaged it in the Hazeron client. But it didn't actually have any connection to the game (it was just there for testing), and it was eventually removed in favor of importing 3d models from outside once ships are redone.

So Hazeron still uses the tile-based designer now. Just probably in the future we're going to import models from programs like Blender and use Hazeron to carve out rooms inside. (Maybe rooms are carved beforehand? I dunno.) I don't like Haxus's plan for the 3d model designer, but whatever.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 15, 2016, 07:34:38 pm »

If you're willing to pay for that quest. I am more than broke at the moment and even if I had money I wouldn't proably give Haxus a dime. :V

Oh, I thought you were playing too. I always disliked Haxus development re-re-re-detour-patch-hotfix-redesign-remove-refactor-process, but until someone else makes a better Hazeron, I guess I'm just stuck to that boat.
And I don't know if I will (or if I will be able) to keep up with the monthly fee either.  ::)

So Hazeron still uses the tile-based designer now. Just probably in the future we're going to import models from programs like Blender and use Hazeron to carve out rooms inside. (Maybe rooms are carved beforehand? I dunno.) I don't like Haxus's plan for the 3d model designer, but whatever.

That sounds terrible.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #725 on: September 15, 2016, 08:01:42 pm »

Oh, I thought you were playing too. I always disliked Haxus development re-re-re-detour-patch-hotfix-redesign-remove-refactor-process, but until someone else makes a better Hazeron, I guess I'm just stuck to that boat.
I were playing it for years, up until Haxus pulled an server shutdown (I think I still have a screenshoot of the message somewhere) out of ass (literally nobody had any idea what or why it happened at first), went dark for a few months and then came back with P2P. I mean, okay, it was his right to make it P2P but the way he did it left horrible taste, not to mention that the fee is way too high (10$ for a month +5$ for activation, right?) for what it is now.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 15, 2016, 08:12:09 pm »

The one thing I'm curious on is how there's no real alternative for this. With such a good concept so poorly executed, why has nobody jumped at the chance to one-up this game? Hell, there's even money in it now.

Of course, I don't know how hard it was to code something like this, either, but given the stuff I've seen produced, I feel like it's a good chance to tap into an otherwise-unfulfilled market.
Nothing important here, move along.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: September 15, 2016, 08:19:55 pm »

That's exactly what I've been thinking. You know, 2-3 years before Minecraft, I noticed very strongly how there was a demand for Lego/building games, and a weird, rather niche demand for Survival games. I was included in both groups. So when I saw Minecraft, I insta-bought it.
Now...I don't see any true good sandbox games with strong cooperative PVE + dynamic world content. A hybrid of FPS, RTS with bits of RPG, with that dash of empire building and city management.
[i.e. to me, the perfect game for the current market would be more or less a game with a dynamic and emergent world a la Space Rangers, with the freeform play of Minecraft, with features from multiple genres, enabling you to take any role - or to take none]
In that regard, Hazeron is insane. It might be one of the clunkiest, ugliest games ever made..but it's like 10 games into one. And that's the problem: you'd have to make 10 games and mix them seamlessly together.
That takes time, skill and money.

Of course, there's Wurm and EVE Online, which are the only things that I can draw some parallels. Maybe Empyrion (modded or not) can take a bit of Hazeron's direction - but there's nothing out there that explicity wants to have the scope Hazeron has.
Trust me, guys. I tried to find an alternative. It would probably take another Haxus (or group of Haxus'es) to make it.  ::)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 08:22:02 pm by Gabeux »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #728 on: September 15, 2016, 08:39:26 pm »

Remember that one Casual vs Hardcore vs Dwarf Fortress comic? I swear there was an one where Hazeron was put after Dwarf Fortress, with it taking the same amount of space as Dwarf Fortress, with fighting against flying penises, random TL32 gankers, crashing rockets into planets and stuff taking about as much as twice the lenght of the Dwarf Fortress comic... and then you get your first ship and the whole universe opens for you.

Of course, there's Wurm and EVE Online, which are the only things that I can draw some parallels. Maybe Empyrion (modded or not) can take a bit of Hazeron's direction - but there's nothing out there that explicity wants to have the scope Hazeron has.
No Man's Sky was supposed to be like that, somewhat. You can see where it ended up.
EVE Online, Star Citzen or even the mentioned No Man's Sky ditch the idea of relying on people and instead just provide existing universes with their AI factions and ships and shit, though. Maybe they fear (and they're right) that it's either shit money or lack of players to unleash the whole potential.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: September 16, 2016, 04:39:07 am »

The one thing I'm curious on is how there's no real alternative for this. With such a good concept so poorly executed, why has nobody jumped at the chance to one-up this game? Hell, there's even money in it now.

Of course, I don't know how hard it was to code something like this, either, but given the stuff I've seen produced, I feel like it's a good chance to tap into an otherwise-unfulfilled market.

The thing is, I really want to do it myself, I just lack the programming skill necessary to pull it off. Though for the "how hard it was to code", I think one of the problems with it was that it tried(tries?) to handle the entire solar system(possibly every solar system) down to the individual NPCs and animals at once, even if there was no reason to do so - the "if a tree falls in a forest, does it make a sound?" problem basically.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: September 16, 2016, 05:18:12 pm »

What still amazes me about Hazeron and similar games, is how much stuff you can do once you learn how things work.
My first city probably took 6h to make as I was relearning things, then like 3 hours to fix since I forgot about population limits and other factors.
Moonbase took around 1-2 hours to plan. And my third city only took an hour, and probably things will take less time now that I (finally) figured out how I like to make cities and how shift+drag works for building the goddamn roads. Hazeron became very OCD unfriendly, but at least planets with cities don't look broken and moons don't look like distorted snow/rock/cheese balls.

And I must apologize to Chiefwaffles - I might not join you after all. I don't feel like playing in the Eastern Cluster, since I don't know how much or for how long I'll play. I've watched a video from someone playing in the past 6 months, and he bumped into players and pirates way too quickly there. I kinda prefer the old school experience, where finding something is confusing, scary and exciting.  ::)

About the lag, ships still move weird as hell. But it's not 300% disorienting and nausea-inducing (for most people) like it was before. Now it's just 100% disorienting, just like when the top-down view spins around.  :P

I'm having great fun, though. Even had a moment of nostalgia as I blew up my first ship because I reversed too hard inside the atmosphere. It's been a while since I said "HOLY SHIT" out loud.
Amazing that I can be such a complete noob after knowing this game for so long.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 05:19:54 pm by Gabeux »

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: September 17, 2016, 04:40:29 am »

The whole Hazeron arc of starting in the wilderness with nothing, crafting your flag out of the skin of the tutorial giver, building up your city from pastoral farmers to a metropolis with a burgeoning industry and transcontinental road network spreading across the planet like gangrenous tentacles, then constructing your first rocket and boldly launching yourself into orbit and planting the flag for your first moon colony... then painstakingly designing your first real spaceship, recruiting your NPC officers to accompany you on your courageous first expeditions into the vast beyond and explore sights unseen is something that no other game has come close to replicating (for me anyway!). After that point the "real" Hazeron starts, but the first time you build up an empire from scratch is something special. Hazeron's a better Spore than Spore ever was.

Probably my favorite Hazeron moment was the time I accidentally tried to confiscate too much wealth from my citizens, and they seized control of my second-largest city, raising their flag in rebellion. So a friend and I commandeered the closest spaceship, a long outdated gunship-style model from earlier days, recruited some soldiers, and set out to recapture what was rightfully ours. Dodging shots from turrets I'd placed ~20 hours of gameplay earlier, flying close to the surface of the planet through a city I'd spent hours planning out and constructing, then landing and leading my squad to retake the military base that was the last holdout of the rebels, engaging in some surprisingly tense FPS-action, despite Hazeron's clumsiness.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: September 17, 2016, 05:23:59 am »

IMHO, much of Hazeron's gameplay was* abusing the quirks of the game - for example, flying a rocket across a city with precision by launching it up a bit, tilting it slightly, and then turning on the magic brakes to slide it across the planet along a slight downward slope. I did the same thing with actual spaceships, of course. Also before Haxus made it impossible, launching "helicopters" into space and landing them on other planets, just for the challenge of it - they were more rocketlike than the rockets. Removing components from space stations to disable their gravity drives, so they crashed into the city they were launched from. Making species with maxed out stats, until Haxus eventually got around to 99% fixing it (his auto-sweep of existing characters missed one of mine, but he has reset since then, and IIRC he actually successfully blocked making new ones with illegal stats). Etc.

* I quit long before Haxus shut the servers down, but came back briefly just before to see how it was after he "fixed" the "lag." It went down a day or two after I quit again, having finished trying it to see if it was really better. Since it came back as subscription-based I haven't really had any reason to subscribe. I have so many other things to do, and other games to play which don't require paying monthly, aren't buggy as hell, etc.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: September 18, 2016, 08:05:20 pm »

FINALLY got to TL2. Took me days to figure that you can take loans from Citizen Accounts and that doing that won't screw you over, and that you can't confiscate wealth anymore, and that making money for the Government seems to be much harder than before - I remember getting to TL7 by myself rather quickly a few years ago.

Here's my TL2 ship that was supposed to be given to Officer Traders but ended up being better than my previous designs:

Spoiler: Bass Trader (click to show/hide)

I still have absolutely no idea what designs are good or not.

And I know interest for this game is on the floor right now, but if anyone knows any tips & tricks for ship design, I'd appreciate.  :)
I don't remember if Hazeron is like Starmade, where some stuff is more effective/efficient if you spread in certain patterns, of it's just "more units, more stats".

Also, if anyone ever feel like joining and want to start with a ship, hey..you can join me and start with a TL2 and pick your own starting spot. I don't mind if you become a Sector Admin on my empire or if you make your own.  :P

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 18, 2016, 08:21:40 pm »

Is "ENFGAE" the auto-generated name for the ship?

Unless it was changed in past several years since I played(and I will say this every time I post), every single component of the ship needs to be produced at TL2, not just the starship factory.

Also, that particular design clearly states it must spawn at a space station, so make sure you build one first. And are those sensor blocks that are sticking out of the top rotated to the side slightly so that they look like they're bent? Or is that just the angle of the screenshot? It looks like the grav-drives on the decks below are doing the same thing.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 65