Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 65

Author Topic: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)  (Read 137126 times)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)
« Reply #600 on: August 10, 2015, 06:07:47 am »

However you look at it, I doubt that a pay-to-play model will benefit a fringe interest game like Hazeron. It needs to be open to pique interest in and retain the eccentric sort of player who would be willing to support it. Instead, Haxus ought to have added and sold some new and interesting technical features or cosmetics (the latter shouldn't have been too resource/time intensive) and/or held a donation drive.

I see people with similar projects on Patreon receiving five-figure contributions on a monthly basis.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:11:19 am by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 10, 2015, 07:05:52 pm »

A patreon model for Hazeron could potentially work until Steam, but right now the game averages at 10-20 people during the day. The only way to really tell how much income Haxus could receive from a Patreon setup is switching entirely to that (from P2P) for a while. But if it fails, the effects of switching BACK to P2P could potentially be disasterous.

In other news,
Quote from: Haxus
Thank you so much to the people who renew their accounts and buy new accounts. You are the ones paying to make it happen. You are the ones whose requests and suggestions get my attention. You are the ones for whom I work long hours to please. Without you, this project would be impossible, pointless. Thank you, thank you, most humbly, thank you.

No thanks to the fence sitters out there, watching and waiting for it to happen. Your opinions mostly go ignored, unread. Perhaps you should go loiter elsewhere. I don't need vultures hanging about, watching to see if I dry out in the sun. You are a complete waste of even a moment of my attention. Please don't be offended, just take your useless condescending selves elsewhere. If this strikes a chord, then I guess you know who you are.
Haxus is nothing if not impassioned and opinionated.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 10, 2015, 07:13:52 pm »

That sure is some paranoid salt.

And here is a fun game, look at
Spoiler: this (click to show/hide)
and read that quote again. It fits unnervingly well.

But really what is it he's getting worked up about? People who don't like his project?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 10, 2015, 07:21:06 pm »

I wouldn't say he's "worked up about" anything, really. This is kind of his default mood IMO.
He's mainly just referring to a group of players (syndicate) who quit the game a while ago, but are still providing constructive feedback. And once again, in my opinion, this constructive feedback doesn't seem that negative. Not positive, but really just "constructive" and nothing else.
Context.

As I said, he's nothing if not opinionated and very impassioned about his work. It's not a bad thing by itself really, but he's just very up-front about it.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 10, 2015, 07:37:25 pm »

Plenty of folks quit years earlier, as entire empires, while the game was still free. For the folks I know well, you can more or less distill the reason down to just "Haxus."
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #605 on: August 12, 2015, 08:42:33 am »

If Haxus can release it on steam and make a decent enough game, he should have enough support/purchases to keep it going a lil while, regardless of his attitude on forums (after all, hes no D_e_r_e_k Sm_a_rt.. and even then that dude still makes enough sales on his games, even though a lot of people think they are junk... or maybe they just hate his guts, I dunno).  Quite a few people just want a good game and don't care about the developer, and they are basically just waiting to see.

Of course, with a small support pop it probably doesn't help, but Haxus is an opinionated guy and as they say, "Haxus gonna Haxus". 
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 12, 2015, 09:18:53 am »

'For those of you not sure if you want to get invested in this game, go screw yourselves.'

It's funny, I was on the fence about this game.  Now I'm actively hoping for it to fail out of spite for its creator.  Charisma!

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 12, 2015, 08:47:38 pm »

Generally speaking you want to convince people who are 'on the fence' about your product to buy it, not tell them to not give you their money.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: August 13, 2015, 12:51:22 am »

And this is why you don't use Cha as a dump stat.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #609 on: August 13, 2015, 01:20:14 am »

That's pretty funny. I kind of like the game and the concept. I played a lot on and off before it went pay to play.

I even tried it not too long ago when I had some time off and bought some paid time. Tried joining other empires, but couldn't find any with active people and without soap opera level drama. Started a one man empire, abused the crap out of the game's mechanics (massive money printing colonies + seize wealth whenever I want at a single small moon colony = profit), got TL32 within a few days, with materials to make TL25 ships. Got bored while scouting since I couldn't find a single person active near me. Tried joining another empire again, this time finding a semi-decent one via the forum. Empire fell into chaos due to drama between the two most active players. Quit game. All within the span of the first 15 days.

Might be fun with a good core group, but I wasn't super impressed with the community I found.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 13, 2015, 03:21:15 am »

How is it the saying goes, something like, "In an online game the content is people," I think? The general idea is there anyway. If your game is an MMO (which Hazeron pretty much is), it's going to be a bit lacking if there are very few/thinly distributed players who don't have many systems to help them play together.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 13, 2015, 06:15:45 am »

Quote from: Haxus
Thank you so much to the people who renew their accounts and buy new accounts. You are the ones paying to make it happen. You are the ones whose requests and suggestions get my attention. You are the ones for whom I work long hours to please. Without you, this project would be impossible, pointless. Thank you, thank you, most humbly, thank you.

No thanks to the fence sitters out there, watching and waiting for it to happen. Your opinions mostly go ignored, unread. Perhaps you should go loiter elsewhere. I don't need vultures hanging about, watching to see if I dry out in the sun. You are a complete waste of even a moment of my attention. Please don't be offended, just take your useless condescending selves elsewhere. If this strikes a chord, then I guess you know who you are.
I thought he meant me/toucans/hazcom when i first read this but apparently this was directed at syndicate this time. I did send him an email when he put his game back trying to be constructive as possible, but in his own words it wasnt even worth reading. A few people had convinced me that maybe he was changing and if not there was no harm in giving him the benefit of the doubt. But lmao, nope, egomaniac forever.

Haxus' mindset is one of assumptions, he assumes everyone who offers him criticism is out to get him. When ainb lied to him about ikkir and half his playerbase he doesnt apply critical thinking, he takes a very first position he sees and stays with it forever, probably why he had his meltdown and deleted those accounts so readily. The same is applied to his game development methods.

Might be fun with a good core group, but I wasn't super impressed with the community I found.
The really sad part is that we had a very solid community rolling along back in the hazcom days but we were all driven off by haxus. Syndicate filled that gap after we were gone but now they've moved on too.

Derek smart is a higher profile less insane haxus. I imagine the reaction to haxus' projects if it ever gains more mainstream attention will be similar if not worse, in the same vein as developers like guise of the wolf.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 06:21:54 am by Mattk50 »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #612 on: August 13, 2015, 09:36:17 am »

got TL32 within a few days
Wait, you can do that? I mean, last time when I played it was kind of highly dependent on luck and only fast way to get them TLs was getting it off some other empire.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 13, 2015, 11:02:20 am »

You just need to find a way to get tons of cash quickly in order to fund a city of universities, more or less. You would think you could simply mint coins for that purpose, but instead the coins all go into the citizens' accounts instead of the government account, and so you have to steal it from them with seize wealth to get back the coins you minted. ::)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #614 on: August 13, 2015, 11:34:17 am »

You just need to find a way to get tons of cash quickly in order to fund a city of universities, more or less. You would think you could simply mint coins for that purpose, but instead the coins all go into the citizens' accounts instead of the government account, and so you have to steal it from them with seize wealth to get back the coins you minted. ::)
Hm, that makes sense, kind of.
Though, couldn't you get shittons of money without making people angry by setting the rewards for things such as founding a colony or discovering a planet to huge numbers? I am also pretty sure that there was an option to get money in some other way, or something.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 65