Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 65

Author Topic: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)  (Read 137272 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)
« Reply #300 on: August 15, 2014, 06:52:32 pm »

Fuuuuuuuck :C
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #301 on: August 15, 2014, 09:07:16 pm »

Well that was a surprise. The really upsetting thing is the fact that he kept it closed-source.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 09:09:06 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 15, 2014, 09:25:58 pm »

Was Haxus provoked at all before doing this? This just seems very sudden. One moment he removes a ton of lag and people are visibly happy, the next moment he suddenly abandons the game entirely.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 15, 2014, 09:36:25 pm »

I'll be honest, I'm surprised the forums were taken down. Many of the long time players were quite harsh to haxus when they were playing then turn around and say they were sad to see it turn out like this.

Was Haxus provoked at all before doing this? This just seems very sudden. One moment he removes a ton of lag and people are visibly happy, the next moment he suddenly abandons the game entirely.
Its one of the reasons why I suspect a hacker, of coarse the more I think about it, the more it might be all the players returning just to ask why hasn't other things changed. Give a mouse a cookie or something along those lines.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 15, 2014, 10:41:39 pm »

Are you really surprised, though? The lag 'fix' was only a clientside fix to make things look smooth, it didn't fix the issues that made the servers overloaded all the time, or the HD usage on the servers, or the limbo which persistently returned time and time again, etc. It was still unsustainable - especially for free.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 15, 2014, 10:58:27 pm »

So Haxus quit because he couldn't fix anything at once?
The fix to movement lag fixed a problem which plagued Hazeron probably since its creation. Client-sided or not, it made the game much smoother and the reaction was very positive.

What I'm most surprised about is not the abandoning, it's just how sudden it is. The way this was delivered seems like the product of heavy rage snapping a person, to the point of "Screw this! I'm done" and walking away. What I would expect for a situation like this is for a simple announcement, a date, and eventual shutdown. Not a sudden shutdown of everything with no notice beforehand.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 15, 2014, 11:34:45 pm »

What I would expect for a situation like this is for a simple announcement, a date, and eventual shutdown. Not a sudden shutdown of everything with no notice beforehand.
You don't know Haxus.  He did what he wanted, when he wanted.  No mater how many people faxed him well written pleas to tweak the major changes he implemented with out warning, repeatedly.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 15, 2014, 11:47:40 pm »

Haxus has tweaked many feature in many ways, many times. What he didn't do was make huge changes to updates he made before. Haxus knew what he wanted, and while he did improve the game via feedback, in any conflict between his 'vision' of the finished product, and feedback, he would go with the former.

Sure, he may of implemented features that were ill-received (at first) and refused to revert them, but I definitely wouldn't see Haxus just walking up and abandoning Hazeron, especially after all the time, dedication, and money he's poured into it.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 16, 2014, 02:47:43 pm »

Hopefully it's just a break, and not a permanent closing.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 16, 2014, 04:25:12 pm »

Sure, he may of implemented features that were ill-received (at first) and refused to revert them

The 'at first' tended to be because folks who went through too many changes that basically eliminated what they loved about the game, or made the game more of a hassle (constant plagues everywhere especially high TL uncurable plagues appearing on low-TL newbies' colonies, pirates and especially high-TL pirates camping low-TL systems, and so on), quit playing and posting.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 17, 2014, 04:56:04 am »

Haxus. What a prick :(

Corik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 17, 2014, 05:31:16 am »

I wonder what happened to all the people who played, they must be really angry. I tried it some time ago, but its limitations kept me away... Mostly the movement lag. I was tempted to try it again when he implemented client side movement, and now I find this.

Really weird.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 17, 2014, 05:42:13 am »

Although I never really played it (although I remember a friend used too a long time back), that sucks for people who did. I really think it's unfair when developers shut down a game when there are people playing it. Sure, you're providing it for free and you made it and whatever, but there's a point where it stops being yours and starts being the community's.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 17, 2014, 05:52:53 am »

Although I never really played it (although I remember a friend used too a long time back), that sucks for people who did. I really think it's unfair when developers shut down a game when there are people playing it. Sure, you're providing it for free and you made it and whatever, but there's a point where it stops being yours and starts being the community's.

I wouldnt call it unfair. It's their game, they have NO obligation to pay all the costs to maintain it.
It sucks that he didnt release the source, though.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Corik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 17, 2014, 06:16:49 am »

He could, at least, open donations to fund running costs by the players and leave it running. It might not work... but at least give the opportunity.

To be honest, I don't think Shores of Hazeron required a very big infrastructure... I might be wrong, of course.

Edit: By the way, speaking about the code. Do you know what engine did he use to make SoH?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 06:25:33 am by Corik »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 65