Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 65

Author Topic: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)  (Read 137231 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)
« Reply #135 on: December 23, 2013, 09:38:41 pm »

Combat is fairly 'tame'
Person-Person combat is very simple; Hit a creature (or low armor spaceship) with a melee weapon. If you hit the (sometimes hard to get) hitbox, your attack will be checked against their agility, then against their defense, then they get damaged. In the later parts of the game, you get Power Armor, which almost entirely removes the threat of creatures, and makes melee weapons near obsolete. You can also use a ranged weapon (rifle, pistol, etc) which is pretty much the same, but with ammo limitations, and a longer range.

Ship-ship combat isn't really fast paced and dogfighting on any level above fighters. (which aren't used much, but can still be of use occasionally) You have the Turrets, Weapon Bay, Armor, and Shields. Shields are managed at the shield console, and you can distribute shield power to different areas of the ship. (something like this, I believe. I haven't had much experience with the shield console.) Turrets are placed anywhere in the ship, and are automatically crewed by soldiers. They do minor amounts of damage, and have the ability to aim. Their use varies. Sometimes used against fighters, sometimes against ships. You choose a ship's armor level in the design, and it affects its armor level against attacks. Higher armor ships can sometimes completely ignore attacks by lower level ships. Weapon Bays are the most important part of ship to ship combat. There aren't any varieties of the combat version, but it's still useful. The weapon bay is a room in the ship with weapon modules, which add to the power requirements, and other stats of a single shot. You choose a target in range at the Weapons Console, press fire, and if they're in range, you have enough energy, etc., the ship will fire and make damage their shields/hit their armor and if high enough TL, will pass through and damage a random system of the enemy ship.

The Ship to ship information may be a tiny bit inaccurate at points, and I recommend you use the information for only a general outline. Hope this helped.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 23, 2013, 10:19:16 pm »

Ship to ship combat is essentially an Irish Standoff.  You both face each other and start slugging out shots.  I don't believe weapons have an accuracy rating, or a facing.  Turrets have facings and weapon arcs, but a weapon bay is omnidirectional.

Weapons work on a simple principle.  The larger the weapon system, the more damage it inflicts and the more energy is required per shot.  Smaller systems hit lighter, but require less energy to fire, and can be rapid-fired.  Your batteries determine your max energy cap, with your generators determining how fast those batteries refill.  If you have, say, 100 capacity and your weapon takes 50, it can be shot twice before needing to recharge.  If it only takes 5, it can be rapid-fired 20 times.

According to my math, though, this is all moot.  The essential way to design a ship is to pile weapon strength, get enough batteries to fire once, and then load generators.  Smaller damage shots get deflected by armor, while single large shots get penetration, so if you've got an option between 5x10 or 1x50 damage, and your enemy has 5 armor, then you get 5x5 = 25, or 1x45 = 45 damage in a single volley.  Being able to penetrate armor just makes larger weapons make more sense.

Generators are fairly productive, you only need enough capacity to fire your weapon once, so it can actually fire, then your generator should let you take shots every few seconds, or sooner.  Having enough battery to fire multiple shots isn't entirely useful because that'll be your opening volley, and then it's a matter of who has more generators.

The only thing I can think of that'll change this setup, would be a fast shielded gattling ship.  It'd be able to have enough batteries to keep its shield upright under heavy fire, enough battery to spray fire, and then retreat while its small generator replenishes the relatively large batteries.  This combat would rely on staying outside enemy's range to recharge, and using cheaper batteries and less of the expensive generators.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 23, 2013, 10:31:02 pm »

That looks simple enough. I guess I could be whatever we happen to need, if we get a empire going.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 23, 2013, 10:43:38 pm »

That looks simple enough. I guess I could be whatever we happen to need, if we get a empire going.
Colony setup is only really needed once.  Upkeep of an empire demands that players travel to different star systems, collect taxes, and then leave them alone for a while.  Actual colony building is needed only when a new colony is claimed, or when a different value resource node is located.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 24, 2013, 12:54:32 am »

I used to play this frequently but then fell out.

Solution to the above problem: Bay12 Empire with the Dwarven race. Building designs included. Why hasn't this happened yet?
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 24, 2013, 01:15:44 am »

That gives me an idea. (if it wasn't what you were referring to - it may be) Before the reset, we could start doing building and ship designs and pool them together for the Bay12 Empire to use.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 24, 2013, 02:38:01 pm »

That gives me an idea. (if it wasn't what you were referring to - it may be) Before the reset, we could start doing building and ship designs and pool them together for the Bay12 Empire to use.
Not a bad idea, I'm gonna do some testing in game, see what happens.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 24, 2013, 03:22:11 pm »

Indeed. It's pretty on-and-off too, regardless of how powerful your graphics card is. But as a general rule, space battles won't suffer from FPS problems whereas running around on a planet is a crapshoot.

... Tymas battles did. :V

We also managed to gather enough ships in one place to blackhole systems.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 24, 2013, 07:28:44 pm »

Been messing around a bit, so far the character creators random button is nightmare fuel.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 24, 2013, 07:32:58 pm »

Been messing around a bit, so far the character creators random button is nightmare fuel.
Spore meets Dwarf Fortress Forgotten Beasts.

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 24, 2013, 09:56:59 pm »

All hail the sandvich empire!

..does anyone want some free tech btw? Or some free stuff?

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 25, 2013, 02:59:52 am »

If B12 is starting up an empire, I will probably join in. Does anyone know when the reset actually is?
EDIT: I can't believe I didn't see it. 31st.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 03:05:06 am by lavenders2 »
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 25, 2013, 03:02:45 am »

It says right on the website. December 31.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #148 on: December 31, 2013, 01:57:38 pm »

Hazeron is resetting right now, and patch has been released, for anyone that wanted to get in right at the start and get low-character ids or empire names.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 31, 2013, 03:21:56 pm »

I'll go ahead and start grabbing stuff.  We'll probably want to spawn into a new sector.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 65