Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 65

Author Topic: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)  (Read 137197 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)
« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2013, 08:49:42 pm »

Hidden Cotton Menace.

Just kidding.
Or am I?

EDIT: @greatorder Didn't see your reply. I agree.  :P
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 09:06:15 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Carnwennan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 23, 2013, 10:32:02 pm »

Or we could roll the DF civ name gen a couple of times until we get a good one:

The Work of Daggers
The Ashen Walls
The Violet Paddles
The Most Arena (wow)
The Superior City (proposed home city name)
The Sunken Flags
The Closed Wheel

I like these ones.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2013, 11:08:54 pm »

I've been thinking about the logistics of how to build and maintain a dwarven empire.  The core issues are fragmentation and player fall-off.  Bay12 members are NOTORIOUS for refusing to work together and share, and insisting on doing their own thing.  Observe, HnH, Terraria, Wurm, Minecraft...  Every multiplayer attempt inevitably falls to people just drifting in their own direction because they want their OWN piece of land and empire, and because of that they fragment, fail to work together, and ultimately falter.  The other issues is players who join in briefly, usually all at once, and within a month everyone's stopped playing.

My suggestion?  We start as a single empire with an oligarchy, probably myself, greatorder, and Naxza, as these are people I see on the forums very regularly and can be contacted to handle the game even if they're not playing the game - a simple request like "can you step down from your government position and hand it to someone else".  This is just for long term security, to ensure the empire leaders are actually available and the empire doesn't fall into a terrible limbo state where the leaders are inactive and no one can access higher orders, but there's still people keeping the lower functions running...

Then, we'll work off the home system - whatever system we happen to start in - and produce wormhole ships.  Once we can handle that, we can fortify the home system with industry and taxes, and start mapping neighboring space.  Certain neighboring systems will be designated as "corridor" systems, owned by the empire proper and under direct oligarchy control, serving little more purpose than refueling stops, tax harvesting, and transit routes.  Branching systems will fall under specific individual control, by claiming it under the empire's flag and then assigning others as the governing authority over the system, effectively making them a "state" under the unified "country".  For the most part, these will be self-governing, except those which show particularly high-value materials available, which will undergo very communism style taxation and redistribution (primarily central stockpiles that others can then draw from), because exceedingly high quality materials are of exceeding value.

Ships could be provided from a central yard, where the highest tech materials are collected to produce vessels for empire purposes.  These, as well as guns, ammunition, and armor suits, would be available for empire campaigns by default, preferably encouraging players to use the same ship type during invasions, so we can swoop in with 30 dwarf-faced vessels battering down the enemy's shields and ransacking their colonies.  Players wouldn't need to expend their personal fleet during empire campaigns.

Empire campaigns would also be an ideal time to bring in transient players - those who don't have enough interest to hold the empire building, but would like to participate in battles, able to act as additional ship pilots or ground forces

TL;DR - Core worlds will be empire controlled, while side systems will be under more individual control, very valuable resources being taxed  and ships/equipment being available freely.

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2013, 11:44:04 pm »

I'm guessing the only other way you guys could handle the player drop-off issue would be to have a Bay12 alliance of multiple empires, all owned by Bay12 players, rather than one massive empire.

Girlinhat's method sounds a lot nicer than that, though, posting to see how that turns out and hopefully join in at some point.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2013, 11:50:10 pm »

I'm guessing the only other way you guys could handle the player drop-off issue would be to have a Bay12 alliance of multiple empires, all owned by Bay12 players, rather than one massive empire.
The problem with that, is that in Hazeron, resource quality really matters.  If one planet has q255 metal ore, that's an intensely valuable commodity.  If the player mining it goes inactive and their empire cannot be manipulated or expanded, then that valuable resource is either gone, or on a tight budget.  By putting every planet under global empire control, the very valuable items can still be insured in case their player leaves, and those planets given to new players entering, or simply left as "government owned resource centers".

Also, having everyone in their own empire is what leads to fragmentation and community decay.  If everyone is ultimately under one flag, then chances of staying together are much greater.  It feels less like many individuals playing in proximity to each other, and more like a group promoting themselves.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2013, 12:49:39 am »

I agree Girlinhat.
Having more than one leader and distributing power is the way to go, I'd gladly be a planet, system or sector admin.
Whatever's needed :)

Also I agree with empire ships and fleets.
If the job system works (does it work?) stuff to be done could also be posted there.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2013, 01:09:04 am »

Technology is an item, which can be used to upgrade existing items to that tech level.  It can be stolen, but is only needed once, while actual resources are much more valuable - farming a T32 metal planet of an enemy empire can provide you with valuable resources!

The idea was to make everyone into a system admin, as most planets are single-purpose.  And once we get some high-value resource planets, we'll fall into a few recognizable themes...

Planets fall into a few categories.
1: Raw Resources.  Each regular planet has 3 resource zones, each with unique resource quality levels, while moons have 1, and ringworlds have 7.  If a resource zone has higher quality raw materials than the currently available resources, that zone is immediately declared as a the main mining site and all construction goes towards that to the exclusion of all else.  Previous mining sites are restructured as needed, or left to individual planet owners to do with.

2: Tax collection.  Zones that don't have ideal quality materials are just packed with as much people as possible and sufficient job buildings to keep them satisfied, providing ideal tax revenue.  Alternatively, pure metal mining and using the low-quality materials for making bullion is also decent for just generating raw cash.

3: Military outposts.  Just provide as secure a location as possible.

Most all empire worlds will be focused on become the most streamlined population collections as they can be.  Valuable resource worlds will likely have their moon militarized if possible, as well as military space stations.

Jobs can be used to recognize what people are doing and what's needed.  It's an unofficial system, paid and placed purely by player discretion, so there's no real way to ensure you get paid or to ensure the worker has actually done it just by checking the job post.  However, for friendly empire use, it's ideal for declaring "we need a space station here" or "this planet needs to stop being a stone mine".

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 24, 2013, 01:57:38 am »

When was the reset even announced? It would appear that almost everyone knows and it's definitely a thing, but I can't find any evidence of it actually being announced.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 24, 2013, 03:02:40 am »

Also, having everyone in their own empire is what leads to fragmentation and community decay.  If everyone is ultimately under one flag, then chances of staying together are much greater.  It feels less like many individuals playing in proximity to each other, and more like a group promoting themselves.

You'd think so, but the reason Starborn Dominion ultimately died was because the two top leaders stopped playing, and from what I heard and remember, there was no way for anyone else in the empire to replace them or to do much of anything beyond continuing to rule what small portion of the empire they already ruled. It's also entirely possible to have community without having everyone in a single empire, and having everyone in a single empire doesn't necessarily build community on its own. You still need a good communication method and people who will use it.

I played Hazeron for two or three years, but the number of bugs was increasing faster than they were being fixed, Haxus was repeatedly implementing ill-thought-out or entirely broken things, largely ignoring bug reports, and the bug fixes he did write usually didn't work at all and were clearly not tested, or only worked for a few days before they mysteriously stopped working (how this is possible is still a mystery to me), etc [I've omitted the really bad stuff, because it happened after I quit playing]. So I'm pretty skeptical that he could have turned his trajectory around (from 'Break all the things! Infuriate all the people!' to 'Create a fun, playable game') unless he's no longer programming and managing the project the same way as he was before.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2013, 03:11:39 am »

That's the point of making an oligarchy of forum members - if someone drops out, it's not as devastating as a monarch dropping out, and if it's a well known forumite, chances are higher of being able to contact them via PM and request leadership activity be shifted.

ALSO I know everyone just LOVES to harp on the bugs and the lag.  Can we just acknowledge that it happens, but we want to do this anyways?  There's no need to just repeat what just about everyone has said before.  Simply stating "I'd like to play, except issues" will suffice.  I really hate how every discussion over Hazeron turns into unabashed flaming.

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2013, 10:12:33 am »

31/12/2013 :)

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #116 on: November 24, 2013, 12:00:22 pm »

On Starborn Dominion and the PTMC war: the PTMC had a member create their own race and spawn out near Starborn's area that we went off to found, away from the galactic core.  There was some diplomacy (back on the PTMC boards which are gone now), and they said he was just setting up to go his own way or something... while they had a ship with supplies en route to him.  It was decided that instead of waiting for the PTMC to setup a forward base, we would just roll in and stomp them now since it was obviously a ruse.

Much 'bugfinding' ensued.

Later, after Starborn Dominion quits, PTMC slowly comes back to the area and struggles to take the cities, calls it a resounding victory over Starborn Dominion, and then later Tymas comes and ganks them later in the PGW via a newbie ally in the area and some berthed over guns/bombs (and hid some people on ships too, for more funtimes). 
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 24, 2013, 12:36:36 pm »

When was the reset even announced? It would appear that almost everyone knows and it's definitely a thing, but I can't find any evidence of it actually being announced.

it was announced in the website in 14/11/2013, the 4th galaxy will start from 31/12/2013...

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 24, 2013, 02:59:30 pm »

http://hazeron.com/restart.html

Reset Information.

So it looks like I will have to rebuild my tech 32 empire... again. That must be about 4 times now.

At least with the decay system having been reworked mixed with the reset I should not have to worry about a ring world despawning on me this time after being away for about two months, lol.

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 26, 2013, 10:46:12 am »

Count me in on the b12 empire.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 65