Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 65

Author Topic: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)  (Read 137172 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shores of Hazeron (new thread with the last updates)
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2013, 07:59:21 am »

dead arisen, several fixes for now. but also, a game reset is scheduled at the end of the year. so the server can get rid of old data from certian old mechanics.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2013, 10:27:11 am »

Is the term SPF (Seconds Per Frame) still in use?
If so, I doubt I'll give a damn now.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2013, 10:28:45 am »

Now if only I had a computer actually capable of running it :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Carnwennan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2013, 10:55:46 am »

I would like to get back into it but the new launcher means that it defaults to the intel graphics card when I boot it up for some odd reason, and SoH doesn't like intel.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2013, 11:54:44 am »

Posting to watch. Seems interesting so far.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2013, 12:53:48 pm »

I would like to get back into it but the new launcher means that it defaults to the intel graphics card when I boot it up for some odd reason, and SoH doesn't like intel.

Does it do the same if you launch from the game executable directly? (assuming you have program settings to choose which card is used for what program, may be able to fiddle with those as well)
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2013, 01:12:36 pm »

If I had an internet connection, I'd be interested. I wonder if it's possible to build a space elevator by docking very tall ships together...
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2013, 01:27:00 pm »

If you've got a laptop with dual graphics cards, you should be able to right click the EXE and choose to run it with your proper one instead of the integrated one.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2013, 01:35:14 pm »

Reading through old updates I've missed, this one got my attention:
Officer Log Item
 Officers now drop their event log when they die. The log can be revealing about where they have been recently. Pirate officers do not keep a log so they do not drop one when they die. There is currently no way to induce an officer to give up his log; you have to kill him; you can't torture it out of him.
That sounds... fun. Might actually be useful in war, if you kill an enemy ship captain and want to know just what they were doing. If you blow up a spaceship, would the log be floating in space?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Carnwennan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2013, 02:10:26 pm »

Does it do the same if you launch from the game executable directly? (assuming you have program settings to choose which card is used for what program, may be able to fiddle with those as well)
If you've got a laptop with dual graphics cards, you should be able to right click the EXE and choose to run it with your proper one instead of the integrated one.

I've tried changing what graphics card the launcher uses before, but it doesn't transfer over to the game client or something. Maybe I did it wrong... I was going through the nVidia control panel and changing options there. I couldn't find the client exe file or I would have skipped the launcher entirely.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2013, 02:28:35 pm »

I tried to get back into it 2 days ago, but I can't believe I haven't played this for one year or two and the lag, movement and collision received no priority.
I really like the game, would play it actively, but the lag is just ridiculous. I played in the single-planet-local thing and it was the first time I saw how Hazeron was supposed to run.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2013, 03:37:47 pm »

More or less, yeah, lag has been a pain for a long... looooong time.  Of course, theres still server crashes, limbo waves, and lots of deep, basic shit that needs done too so...

Anyway, Haxus is mostly resetting to get rid of old planets / data, and it will potentially be 'less laggy' for a few days at the very least.  He really still needs to fix the basic AI lag and other problems though... plus update the movement model  (and he still needs to move everything over to GLSL from cg to speed up rendering / enable a Mac Build)

Other than that, he is going to work on ships after the restart and try to update the designer and ship looks / mechanics and go from there.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2013, 04:07:55 pm »

I haven't really been into it since the big population cap change and requiring to manually visit planets thing. I get that Haxus wants empires to necessarily consist of more than one person but... it was more fun the other way frankly. Especially since it's hard to administer an empire with multiple players, since you can't put multiple people in one position or one person in multiple positions, IIRC.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2013, 05:39:04 pm »

I haven't really been into it since the big population cap change and requiring to manually visit planets thing. I get that Haxus wants empires to necessarily consist of more than one person but... it was more fun the other way frankly. Especially since it's hard to administer an empire with multiple players, since you can't put multiple people in one position or one person in multiple positions, IIRC.

as i see it the problem is that hazeron lets you play as empire leader right from the start, of course this has sense at the start of the galaxy where there arent any empires to join, but in time there will be several solo empires, this isnt fixed disabling new players from creating their own, but i think empires should be something to look forward in the future, not at the start. in fact i would say that it would be more hilarious if we didnt need to join an empire right on the start, but make several people spawn in the same planet, the challenge would be to see if they decide to join together and found their own, or just start each one a city and from there they fight until one of their nations becomes a planetary empire.

i think it would be cooler to add more of that to Hazeron, i know its mostly a space game but it would be cool to have some planet gameplay first. it would mean a longer process, but at least it gives planets a use before becoming just safespots and resource faucets.

basically, haxus make the development almost upside down, why?, because he focused more in the empire building stuff and less in the RPG and individual part. im not talking about solo players, but make players join together in order to progress. this doesnt happens in hazeron, you can just be a solo empire and live alone in a corner of the galaxy, out from the main cluster drama.

yeah we have NPCs working for us, but we have to take account of the role of the player there, apart from being a soldier, spaceship crew/captain or empire manager. the automation of the game makes it look more like an RTS for that matter. if he wants players to have a role there, he needs to give more value to player actions than NPCs, without removing them completely.

as for the spaceship revamp, im looking forward to that, i hope the GLSL stuff allows to more complex  and stilized ships than what we have now, of course with a revamp of the spaceship mechanics. and the awful console UIs...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 05:46:42 pm by xaritscin »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2013, 08:13:59 pm »

Other than that, he is going to work on ships after the restart and try to update the designer and ship looks / mechanics and go from there.
Are there any more details on that? It might be enough to get me interested again, especially if it draws enough other people in at once to run a stable empire.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 65